Hobart to Richmond

Davidkmendel

Hobart to Richmond

Postby Davidkmendel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 am

Question. Which is the easiest route to Richmond from Hobart. Via Grass Tree Hill or over Mt Rumney? Also is the shoulder on the main highway from Bellerive to the Cambridge turnoff ok to cycle or is it best to avoid this?

mcdurdin

Re: Hobart to Richmond

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 am

Definitely via Mt Rumney is easier. Technically, Tunnel Hill, you don't go over the top of Mt Rumney. I would suggest going on Cambridge Rd rather than the highway -- very little traffic and much more pleasant :)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Davidkmendel

Postby Davidkmendel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks. I was looking for the most comfortable route.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 am

Davidkmendel wrote:Thanks. I was looking for the most comfortable route.
Faced with the choice I rode my loaded touring bike across Bowen Bridge and over Grasstree Hill rather than over the Tasman Bridge. I expected a tough climb, but in fact it wasn't particularly difficult, with almost no traffic. The descent into Richmond was a hoot...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 am

Yes, Grasstree is not a particularly difficult climb, and certainly has less traffic than the road from Cambridge to Richmond. But Tunnel Hill is only a 1km climb vs 4km for Grasstree, so it depends which you prefer.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:26 am

over Grasstree is a much safer route.

The road from Cambridge to Richmond is too narrow too busy and just straight out dangerous.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:00 am

Skull, agree that road is busy but I've ridden it many times without problems. Drivers are becoming more courteous these days. Nice smooth tarmac too :)

skull

Postby skull » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:01 pm

hopefully Dogga will post on here about his near death experience on that stretch of road with a moron. I have had similar incidents on the same stretch. I just don't have the nerve for it anymore and prefer the hill.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I have only done it once fully loaded but in the other direction[coming from orford] I chose Grasstree because its quiter and the cars you do come across are going slower than Cambridge rd. Its a more direct route for me so avoiding the Tasman bridge was not really the idea but the Bowen is obviously much more fat bike friendly.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

skull wrote:hopefully Dogga will post on here about his near death experience on that stretch of road with a moron. I have had similar incidents on the same stretch. I just don't have the nerve for it anymore and prefer the hill.
And yet, I've been run off the road (with my 3yr old daughter on the back, no less) by a Metro bus near Risdon Vale, and had a car nearly take me out pretending to be a Targa competitor on Grasstree itself. I don't enjoy the traffic between Richmond and Cambridge but car issues can crop up anywhere. (Grasstree seems to be popular with hoons too unfortunately)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 am

IMO Hobart to Richmond via grass tree gets my vote.

It's more direct, less city streets, less effected my the wind, it's about 30kms and thus just over an hour to ride

now i will have to time the other way. oh last weekend i took the hwy from to the cambridge turn off. it was much quicker and there was very little traffic.......but it was 7:30am on Easter Sunday
when do we stop for coffee???

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 am

Grasstree for sure, not only saying this because of my near death experience on Cambridge Rd, but because of how nice the southern climb of Grasstree Hill is. It's a gentle 5-6%(mostly 5%) climb and this is coming from an 85+ kg clydesdale.

Once your reach the summit it is an excellent roll through into Richmond.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:29 pm

doggatas wrote:Grasstree for sure, not only saying this because of my near death experience on Cambridge Rd, but because of how nice the southern climb of Grasstree Hill is. It's a gentle 5-6%(mostly 5%) climb and this is coming from an 85+ kg clydesdale.

Once your reach the summit it is an excellent roll through into Richmond.

+1

Don't mind Cambridge road in a bunch (safety in numbers) , but if I am by myself , give me Grasstree any day.