Stuart O'Grady
24%
Other
14%

Total votes: 21
Uncle Just

Re: Roubaix

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Not the gracious type then. Just another "hard as nails" Flandrian.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Not the gracious type then. Just another "hard as nails" Flandrian.
Yup.. got to love that era!.

MREJ

Roubaix

Postby MREJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm

The expression may be blunt but his basic point is right - it was incredible to see three professionals dithering while the favourite simply sailed off the front. It wasn't a momentary thing either. They rode along for a while debating with each other as the trophy slipped unhindered from their grasp.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm

MREJ wrote:They rode along for a while debating with each other as the trophy slipped unhindered from their grasp.
Here's a thought - their legs were shot and Pozzato didn't feel like bringing the whole circus with him to Boonen. He missed the move, yes, but I don't think it was his fault what happened next. A lot of races, especially in some parts of Belgium, France and even Holland (pro or otherwise) are won exactly like that - someone makes a move and you think, yeah sure, be my guest and then oops, the guy's gone and everyone shakes their heads, they're done, they can't chase and even those who can won't because of too many passengers you're going to take for a ride only to be shot at the end.

MREJ

Roubaix

Postby MREJ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm

I think that's a plausible explanation, but not good tactics. The thing that's wrong with it is that it wasn't just anyone who went off the front.

If Pozzato did have the legs to hang on, then he chose to let the favourite ride off with a helper because he preferred the risk of never seeing them again to jumping on and backing himself to beat a couple of weak sprinters and Boonen. It's almost like saying "I'd rather sacrifice my own chances than preserve them, if preserving them means giving someone else a chance too".
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 pm

MREJ wrote:I think that's a plausible explanation, but not good tactics.
OK, I'll be less politically correct then :-) People like Pozzato, Ballan etc simply do not make such rookie mistakes like the one you describe above. It might look like a tactical blunder when seen from a couch with a bottle of beer in one hand but the most likely explanation of what happened is that none of the guys were able to respond when Boonen went. They're not blind and they know what he's capable of, when guys like him have the legs, they'll turn your guts inside out on the cobbles and if you're lucky to stay with them while they're thrashing your legs, once on the asphalt, all you think about is how to recover and pray nobody will attack for at least a couple of minutes. When Boonen went, it's hard to tell what Pozzato's condition was, it wasn't good for sure because he clearly waited for a while perhaps hoping someone else will pick up the tab and perhaps it was a mistake (in hindsight) but if his legs were shot, his choices were very limited - follow Boonen and perhaps get dropped on the next cobbles completely dead or don't panic, there's still 55km to go and a bunch of guys who are more than interested to chase Boonen down. In hindsight, following Boonen could've, should've, would've been a better choice but back there on the road, I have very little doubt Pozatto did anything tactically wrong.