I apologise

knoddie

I apologise

Postby knoddie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:56 pm

I apologise if I have ever:

- kept my high beam on, and ignored the poor cyclist coming the other way.
- passed a cyclist in the car, and then did a left hand turn ten metres in front of him.
- walked three abreast on a dual use path, and refused to move when I saw a cyclist.
- Had my ipod up so loud while running I couldn't hear the cyclist's bell.
- Walked on unlit paths at night with dark as possible clothing.

Your perspective changes when you start riding.

HappyHumber

Re: I apologise

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 pm

knoddie wrote:Your perspective changes when you start riding.
*offers a little personal congratulatory applause*

Well done Knoddie.... welcome to the fold.

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Aaaaahhh...that made me go all gooshy inside :D

(although that might be all the goop from the cold I got TODAY :x)

Seriously, nice tribute from a new rider. When I got my motorbike license, I totally improved as a car driver as it made me more aware. I'm now more aware of pushies too - I wish everyone learned to ride a bike (both sorts) and maybe they wouldn't be such bar-stards.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:42 pm

knoddie wrote:Your perspective changes when you start riding.
Attitude adjustment is unavoidable when your out and about under your steam.

Welcome knoddie.

Matt

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:34 pm

I've encounted those 45kg females wearing black to make themselves look thiner on unlit bike paths at night too.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:11 pm

G'Day Knoddie, beautifully put. :D

Would you mind if this thread was moved to general, I'd like everybody to feel good.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

knoddie

Postby knoddie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 pm

That's fine Mulger, move away.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 pm

Well put Knoddie and welcome.

By the same token there are cyclists that need to do the same but alas we are but human.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:37 pm

I've moved this thread over from WA because I thought it way too good to not be seen by everyone.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:57 am

Think we all remember that revelation when starting out, but that's one of the best comments on it that I've seen. Well said Knoddie and welcome aboard.

Sveky

Postby Sveky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 am

Today's commute:

1. Crazy Chick in a Wespac branded VW crosses double white lines to get around me only to stop 10 meters up the road to take a right hand turn forcing me to jam on brakes.

2. Crazy tradesman, again i was hogging the whole lane as I was turning right however my 40kph wasn't fast enough for Mr tradesmen so he proceeded to overtake crossing double white lines and then proceed to turn left in front of me.

3. Pedestrian walks out onto the road without looking (in Chatswood) near miss and one very lucky Chinese man narrowly avoids being taken out whilst i was travelling in excess of 50kph.

:x

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:11 am

Welcome Knoddie - it's never too late to learn new tricks.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:47 pm

knoddie wrote:I apologise if I have ever:

- passed a cyclist in the car, and then did a left hand turn ten metres in front of him.
- walked three abreast on a dual use path, and refused to move when I saw a cyclist.

It sure resonates - as a late in life start to road riding (in my 3rd year now) and these have happened more than once - mostly it seems to be unthinking actions by others esp wrt cars but very occasionally I've suspected deliberate cut-offs and occassional, and scary, malicious "frighten the cyclist" actions from some drivers.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Sounds all to familiar. Here is my addition

Riding on a small suburban road Sunday afternoon, coming up to a traffic island ahead with a car coming up behind me and also a car coming towards me. Next thing i know car behind me goes onto the wrong side of the road and passes me on the other side of the traffic island followed by swerving in straight after to avoid the oncoming car. All because they didn't have enough patience to wait 5 seconds for me to go past the traffic island and then overtake where it was safe to do so.

Now don't even get me started on dogs not on a leash and their owners not giving a rats if their little puppy gets sliced and diced by my front wheel

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 pm

[rant]

My favourite clowns are the guys in small delivery trucks who seem to think you're invading their road and persist in swerving in front of you in order to force you into the gutter, then at the next red light, stopping as close to the gutter as possible, with the assumption that this will force you off their road. A friendly wave/bird as you ride past the other side of the stationary truck seems to keep the balance. Conversely, the guys driving the big trucks seem to have a bit more respect and don't mind giving you some space.

[/rant]

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:12 pm

knoddie wrote:I apologise if I have ever:

Tell you what. Give us all a slab, and we'll forget it ever happened!!! :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks Knoddie. Apology accepted! :D

Welcome to the forum. With opening posts like that, new members will always be welcomed with open arms.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Never thought I would say this but I can't wait to leave the city for the country life.All those little back roads of which there are hundreds that weave around the thousand or so lakes that pepper the area are calling me with open arms.Not going to miss training in Sydney one little bit...will miss me mates thou but half of them have already booked there spots for next years tour :D ....and I have a city of 3 million just 35kms away...gosh you guys will never here the end of it once I get there!.
...oh yeah...welcome Knoddie :oops:

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Knoddie

Welcome aboard and well put !!!

Toolong, what can I say. If i move to Alice Springs later this year, the difference in riding between us will be **laughable**. You'll be riding hills that most Aussies have never experienced let alone seen, I'll be riding on flat ground for hundreds of Kilometers, looking for the next "undulation" to break the boredom :-) Well its only for a few years, time to purchase a real bike bag and make sure I travel a bit to places that will challenge. Though I'm starting to think what these guys miss in climbing, they are going to add to their speed !!! I think I'd rather climb hills like Pantani than sit on 60km/hr like Boonan :lol:

Pete

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:12 pm

sandman wrote:Knoddie

Welcome aboard and well put !!!

Toolong, what can I say. If i move to Alice Springs later this year, the difference in riding between us will be **laughable**. You'll be riding hills that most Aussies have never experienced let alone seen, I'll be riding on flat ground for hundreds of Kilometers, looking for the next "undulation" to break the boredom :-) Well its only for a few years, time to purchase a real bike bag and make sure I travel a bit to places that will challenge. Though I'm starting to think what these guys miss in climbing, they are going to add to their speed !!! I think I'd rather climb hills like Pantani than sit on 60km/hr like Boonan :lol:

Pete
Give me Boonen anyday :lol: ...I have to say I am looking forward to having literally hundreds of different roads to chose from on my training rides.That is what bugs me about Sydney....really there aren't that many different route one can take to spice it up and I get bored doing same roads over and over again.Hope you don't...Alice might only have a few roads worth riding???...time to drag out the mtb!.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Hey Sandman,

I woke up this morning in Alice Springs (went out before dawn to take some shots).

You are going to miss hills, believe me! All the paved roads are flat as pancakes for hundreds of kms. I know this from my drive to and from Tennant Creek, during which time I was thinking of your impending move. Buy a corn-cob cassette before you leave Sydney.

(Edit: in response to TLL, yep, I saw only one good road to ride on and another which would do in a pinch.)

On the other hand, I was wishing I had my MTB with me on this trip - it looks STUNNING for MTB riders in Alice! Unspoilt mountain ranges stretching east and west of town many with single track carved into and onto them. The only water there was me licking my lips at the prospect of hitting those ranges ..... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....