Unexplained Yawning

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
dynamictiger

Unexplained Yawning

Postby dynamictiger » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 am

Hi All

I have found that reasonably often in Spin class and occasionally when I am commuting I start to yawn for no apparent reason. Initially it was happening a lot and particularly during sprints and I did find I was holding my breath, so more recently I have been forcing myself to breath, not sure why, think breathing is overrated.

What is weird in my mind is it is not happening when I swim whether I sprint or not, whether I go anaerobic or not and I would have thought this would have made the situation worse if it was air related.

Any thoughts?

ZepinAtor

Re: Unexplained Yawning

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am

I find yawning under water to have catastrophic results.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:57 pm

There are a lot of causes listed here. It can also be related to tiredness, boredom (6 A.M. spin classes?), stress, anxiety, auto suggestion (I'm yawning just thinking about it), or shallow breathing. Maybe it's the differences in breathing technique while swimming as opposed to spinning?

The usual disclaimer applies - if symptoms persist see your medical professional!
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm

I had this exact same problem. One instructor told me it was your body's trigger to take on more oxygen. After that, I paid particular attention to my breathing, and by consciously doing that, the yawning stopped. It does still happen from time to time, but usually only on the spin bike. I have one for exercise when the weather turns nasty (there's plenty of that in this neck of the woods). I have never noticed doing it while riding on the road, and when I have noticed it elsewhere from time to time, I am also tired.