OPH North of Hawkesbury: flat city?

zohxoco

Postby zohxoco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 am

Hi folks just did my first venture on OPH across the river from Sydney but from the very end of the bridge onwards the road condition is very poor, lots of debris and sharp objects. I feared a flat and yes, got one :( also it seems two sections of roadworks has replaced some stretches with a kind of sharp edged rocky surface rather than Tarmac. Not sure if my flat was from there or the debris nearer the bridge.

Was I unlucky or is that just normal? (HTFU and take lots of tubes?). Seems like that area is a definite no go to me but I notice plenty of cyclists on it judging by Strata. Is there a trick to avoid flats?

I'm just talking about the first few kms north after the bridge, I guess it might get better as you climb up towards Calga.

simonn

Re: OPH North of Hawkesbury: flat city?

Postby simonn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

That is recent work and it only lasts a couple of kms although I very much doubt it was the cause of your puncture. A lot of rural roads in and around Sydney are pretty crappy. They are maintained by the council and get attention due to the number of motor vehicles using them. In any case, that is one of the better ones (seriously). The new work does kick up some grit though.

HTFU is the only way (or 25-28mm tyres with a slightly lower pressure maybe).

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:46 pm

You got a flat, get over it, keep riding there

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Was going to suggest that th OPH north of the Hawkesbury is far from flat, but then I read it. nah just unlucky, I've ridden it for the last 3 years or so without flatting. The trick to avoiding them is don't ride on race tyres, stick something thicker (and not so euro cool) on and you'll be fine.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Given the weather lately flats are a reality of life that are hard to avoid.