Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Tim

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote: There are 2 mini usb cables for the e-werk. You need to use #8 cable to charge the 705 so might be the same for your 800.
Thanks Baalzamon. I've tried various combinations to charge, rather than just power the 800 eg. E Werk > USB (female) > USB (male) > Mini USB > Edge800, and E Werk > Mini USB > 800 direct but both options will only provide power, not charging. From reading up on the Garmin forums I think, from memory, that it is Garmin firmware issue that may or may not be being dealt with by Garmin.

Please excuse the ignorance, but what is #8 cable?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Max wrote:Tim, I would be very interested to know the result of your Ayup charging experiment. My mum's new touring bike has a dynamo hub and dynamo lights, but they're craptacular compared to the Ayups.
If it's the Vivente VR, for some strange reason they have persisted with the iQ Fly headlight. I never really warmed to that one and went straight to the Cyo when it hit the market. The Fly is 40lux, Cyo is 60lux, and the Schmidt Edelux (same reflector) is 80lux. In my experience the Cyo is tremendous for both conspicuity and visibility, almost as bright as the Ayup, so I'd suggest you consider getting one as an upgrade.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Tim wrote:The E Werk doesn't come with many adapters, basically just USB, mini and micro. I would like to charge my Nokia phone but don't have the tip. I would also like to charge the Minigorilla storage battery I just recently bought. The Minigorilla is a little ripper too. It has the fittings to charge up the Edge, Nokia phone, and tons of other devices and is just now charging up my Ayup battery as an experiment. The aim is to be able to charge the Minigorilla from the EWerk, it should be possible but I need the connectors.
My Powermonkey came with a whole range of tips. One of them was the right size to plug into the E-werk lead and connect with the Powermonkey to charge. I have not charged it with the E-werk yet, but do feel the charging rate may be slow. Over Easter my GPS batteries died and I didn't have replacements, but with the mini USB cable I could directly power the Garmin from the Powermonkey. Great :D ! After a whole 3 days of running the GPS the Powermonkey was low on charge so I recharged it at home using the wall adaptor. It took a good 8-9 hours using the 240V, so your Minigorilla will only be longer. From the E-werk?? Who knows but it maybe all day, or two.
Mandatory helmet law?

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Max wrote:Tim, I would be very interested to know the result of your Ayup charging experiment. My mum's new touring bike has a dynamo hub and dynamo lights, but they're craptacular compared to the Ayups. I'd like to find a way to charge the Ayups without access to AC mains. Let us know how it turns out!
Max, the Ayup battery has just finished charging, and nothing blew up. :D The battery still works too, just plugged it into the lights, full blast!

IP, I haven't ridden at night yet to try the IQ Fly but it doesn't seem too impressive with just a hand spin on the front wheel. I don't plan on touring at night but having lights is probably a good safety consideration for inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances. I'll most likely tour with the Ayups and the Radbot on the back.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Tim wrote:
Baalzamon wrote: There are 2 mini usb cables for the e-werk. You need to use #8 cable to charge the 705 so might be the same for your 800.
Thanks Baalzamon. I've tried various combinations to charge, rather than just power the 800 eg. E Werk > USB (female) > USB (male) > Mini USB > Edge800, and E Werk > Mini USB > 800 direct but both options will only provide power, not charging. From reading up on the Garmin forums I think, from memory, that it is Garmin firmware issue that may or may not be being dealt with by Garmin.

Please excuse the ignorance, but what is #8 cable?
Its the longest mini usb cable in ewerks cable
Need to use cable 7 which connect to ewerk & has USB female end on it
Plug 8 cable into 7
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 pm

il padrone wrote:My Powermonkey came with a whole range of tips. One of them was the right size to plug into the E-werk lead and connect with the Powermonkey to charge. I have not charged it with the E-werk yet, but do feel the charging rate may be slow. Over Easter my GPS batteries died and I didn't have replacements, but with the mini USB cable I could directly power the Garmin from the Powermonkey. Great :D ! After a whole 3 days of running the GPS the Powermonkey was low on charge so I recharged it at home using the wall adaptor. It took a good 8-9 hours using the 240V, so your Minigorilla will only be longer. From the E-werk?? Who knows but it maybe all day, or two.
One of the differences between the Powermonkey extreme battery and the Minigorilla is that your battery charges via 5Volt USB, the Minigorilla charges from a 9Volt source, with a pin type connector.
Both batteries have the same capacity (9Ah), but the output voltage on mine is variable with 5V USB, and 8.4V to 19V via a multitude of different tips and cables. The variable voltage output was my main consideration when choosing between the Minigorilla or the Powermonkey Extreme. I hope to be able to tour with a small netbook or maybe even a Macbook Air therefore I chose the battery with the higher voltage output.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Its the longest mini usb cable in ewerks cable
Need to use cable 7 which connect to ewerk & has USB female end on it
Plug 8 cable into 7
Thanks Baalzamon, I'll give it a whirl.
By the way, what voltage and amperage do you have the E Werk set for your GPS?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:26 pm

When I first got my e-werk I made the mistake of using the cable that was from the e-werk direct to mini usb and it powered mine down to charge it. Tandem who also has one I asked him as he didn't have an issue and that is how I figured it out.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Tim wrote:Both batteries have the same capacity (9Ah), but the output voltage on mine is variable with 5V USB, and 8.4V to 19V via a multitude of different tips and cables. The variable voltage output was my main consideration when choosing between the Minigorilla or the Powermonkey Extreme. I hope to be able to tour with a small netbook or maybe even a Macbook Air therefore I chose the battery with the higher voltage output.
You have pricked my interest. I guess you haven't tried it yet with a netbook? Would be very interested to know if it would be effective at charging a Asus netbook.

Andrew

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 am

Andrew, I really should learn how to post links, photos and files. Have a look at the Powertraveller site. Apparently the Minigorilla will provide around 5 hours operating time to a Sony Vaio netbook at 10Volts and around 2 hours for other netbooks that run at 19Volts. It obviously depends on how much current your computer draws. The Powertraveller products are expensive compared to other external batteries but they are very well built and designed to cope with outdoor use, though not sure if they are waterproof. The selling point for me was the variable voltage output, most other external batteries don't seem to have as much flexibility. Powertraveller have a distributor in Aust. and I have spoken to Rachel Woods who is their local techo person and very helpful. She sent me a specs sheet comparison chart for all their products, which is not on their web site. It specifically mentions Asus netbooks, and my Minigorilla was supplied with Asus charging connectors.
I have also been looking at Asus netbooks as they are much cheaper than a Macbook Air. All I want to do is be able to use Garmin's Basecamp and Topo maps whilst on tour.
Which model Asus netbook do you have?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 am

Tim wrote:I hope to be able to tour with a small netbook or maybe even a Macbook Air therefore I chose the battery with the higher voltage output.
I think you are perhaps a little over-ambitious. There are probably not enough hours in a day to keep your devices charged. And you will end carrying a swag of paraphernalia in the attempt.

I have been using a Asus eee PC for touring. It has a 10 hour battery which I have found to be more than adequate between charging opportunities. Encouraged, next tour I'm taking a Macbook Air, even though its battery life is expected to be much shorter. Used judiciously it will be sufficient given my experience with the eee PC, and its a whole lot easier to use with a full sized keyboard and a trackpad that my clumsy fingers can actually make use of. If you choose a netbook my tip is to take a mini travel mouse.

It's unrealistic to think you can tour without regularly resorting to mains power. My dynamo hub will be used only to power and charge my smartphone, which is my bike computer, GPS and audible book player, so that I can have it running all the time I'm on the bike. Just a Reecharge or Pedalpower and one connector - I haven't decided which yet but the Reecharge is much more convenient to mount and connect, although it has less battery capacity. It should be fine though if I start out with both Reecharge and smartphone fully charged off mains power. I'll do a test before deciding.

The Macbook Air and camera batteries will only get a charge when there is mains power available.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:49 am

RonK wrote: I think you are perhaps a little over-ambitious. There are probably not enough hours in a day to keep your devices charged. And you will end carrying a swag of paraphernalia in the attempt.
I know. I recall mentioning somewhere that I'll have to pedal nonstop from here to Darwin to keep the charge up to everything, and maybe a truck to cart all the extra electronics. :D
The battery is really only for power "top-ups". I find all the gadgetry really interesting, and seductive, but I'm starting to wonder if the the old fashioned map, compass, little transistor radio and (paper) notebook might be better. I vaguely remember navigation skills from the dark, distant past and the only devices I ever carried in the bush were the before mentioned radio and compass. There is a lot to be said for uncomplicating life from all this technology, especially on holidays. I am at risk of fixating on the gear and gadgets and missing the point ie. where I am and what I'm doing .

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:10 am

Just a little point re: charging networks from external batteries - I bought a hyperjuice external battery for my MacBook Air and plugging it in when the internal battery went flat didn't give me anywhere near the advertised overall battery life. After a bit of further research, it turned out that you needed to plug the external battery in when BOTH batteries were fully charged to get the 11+ hours of battery life.

This worked well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:30 am

Tim wrote:Apparently the Minigorilla will provide around 5 hours operating time to a Sony Vaio netbook at 10Volts and around 2 hours for other netbooks that run at 19Volts. ...Which model Asus netbook do you have?
I am not at home at present so don't have the charger with me so cannot check the voltage but those numbers didn't overly excite me :(

The Asus that I have is a eePC R051PX with a claimed 11 hours of battery life. Nine hours is probably closer to the mark. I use it like RonK with a travel mouse but I do find the keyboard okay. On the "road" I limit my use to WordPad or similar and have the wireless etc turned off to maximise the battery life.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:35 am

Tim wrote:I vaguely remember navigation skills from the dark, distant past and the only devices I ever carried in the bush were the before mentioned radio and compass.
/
I still carry a compass at times and always carry a notebook (one of those A5? school books) and a pen. That said I still prefer to type straight into he computer rather than the notebook then to the computer.

I also tossed around the idea of taking my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard instead of the netbook, but the netbook is winning that one at the moment.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Tim wrote:I vaguely remember navigation skills from the dark, distant past and the only devices I ever carried in the bush were the before mentioned radio and compass. There is a lot to be said for uncomplicating life from all this technology, especially on holidays. I am at risk of fixating on the gear and gadgets and missing the point ie. where I am and what I'm doing .
I'm an IT worker and have certain expectations about the technology I use. Despite this I manage rationalise the gadgets down to a minimum whilst on tour. Unless you are heading into the back blocks it's pretty hard to get lost bicycle touring in Australia if you have a good road map. A handlebar compass is occasionally handy. A GPS app for my smartphone eliminates a dedicated GPS, and helps me navigate through unfamiliar built-up areas - actually my smartphone is the best travel tool I've ever had, providing communications. internet access, navigation and entertainment. And on my Macbook I can type up my daily journal in half an hour or so and upload it whenever connectivity is available. A quality point and shoot camera rounds out my three devices.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Small things and small minds, but whoohoo I'm excited.
Just bodgied up a lead and connected the E Werk to the Minigorilla battery, AND IT WORKS. :D
Matched up the E Werk voltage and amperage to the battery and it charges up.
According to the E Werk manual it can charge at the same rate as an AC adapter so with 5-6 hours cycling it should recharge the battery to full from near empty.
High voltage randonneuring here I come. Well... 9Volts and 1.3Ampere anyway. That's 12 whole Watts of energy.
Last edited by Tim on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey, great to hear it's working so well - should be quicker than I thought for my Powrmonkey then :D . I take it this is charging with the lights switched off?
Mandatory helmet law?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Correct. no lights.
I could be wrong but I think that although the Powermonkey Extreme has the same capacity as my Minigorilla it only charges at 5Volts and between 0.6 and 2Amps depending on the method of recharge ie. solar, AC adapter or USB, (or E Werk). I wish I could attach the Powertraveller Spec. Sheet to this post (I don't know how to), but apparently the Powermonkey can take from 8-12 hous to recharge, once again depending on the method of recharging. I could PM the Spec. Sheet to you, if I can attach a PDF. file to it.

Slim

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 pm

RonK wrote: I'm an IT worker and have certain expectations about the technology I use. Despite this I manage rationalise the gadgets down to a minimum whilst on tour. Unless you are heading into the back blocks it's pretty hard to get lost bicycle touring in Australia if you have a good road map ...
+1 to all these sentiments.

The rest of you have too much money and time on your hands.

I'm a keen observer of these developments but will not be blowing any cash until the technology is mature. That will probably not happen until a large brand such as Shimano ... pulls it all together into a coherent plug and play solution.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 am

Slim wrote:The rest of you have too much money and time on your hands.
We won't mention the Rohloff equipped Thorn, nor the Hilleberg Soulo tent. Life essentials of course. You'll never find time to use them. :D

Slim

Postby Slim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 am

Tim wrote:
Slim wrote:The rest of you have too much money and time on your hands.
We won't mention the Rohloff equipped Thorn, nor the Hilleberg Soulo tent. Life essentials of course. You'll never find time to use them. :D
On the contrary they're great examples. I'm a sucker for anything that's simple, works and lasts for years even if the price tag is absurd. In the case of "essentials" such as the Thorn and Soulo I'm programmed to come up with rationalizations in less than 30 seconds. On the other hand battery chargers and electronic paraphernalia (Dyno hubs excluded) strike me as a deviation from the spirit of this business. But more to the point they'll undoubtedly end up superseded and or broken inside 12 months.
BTW the basis of my conviction is a life time in IT and a shed full of electronic paraphernalia gathering dust.

Dismounts from soap box
Cheers

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Interesting thread. I've also go the VWR with the Shimano XT hub and was looking for a cheap and easy "plug and play" solution to charge my power hungry, but very handy and capable, HTC Desire HD smartphone from the dynamo hub while I am out touring.

I'll be using this for emergency phone access, GPS/mapping, email and Facebook access rather than lugging around my older generation 10" ASUS EeePC. Due to the larger screen on the HTC it is very easy to use and type on, however it also struggles to last longer than 16 hours with normal use during the day.

However from this thread the current technology all seems to be a bit too immature still (and quite expensive too from what I have seen!). I might have to just try and use an older paper map and have the phone turned off or on flight mode when I don't need it which should give me 3 days between charges if I am careful with it. It only takes a couple of hours to charge so I can top it up each time I have the opportunity.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:13 pm

My Samsung Galaxy S2 charges on the fly off my ewerk. My Garmin 705 does as well, so I don't think you would have a problem with your HTC Desire

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Baalzamon wrote:My Samsung Galaxy S2 charges on the fly off my ewerk. My Garmin 705 does as well, so I don't think you would have a problem with your HTC Desire
I don't quite understand the technology, but from what I read on the StarBike website it seems that I'd probably need the cache battery too for a smartphone?

So I'm looking at around 95 € for the main unit, plus 52 € for the cache battery, plus 18 € for the mount.. plus shipping of around 30 €. Total around 165 € ($210 AUD) inc shipping and ex VAT delivered to Aus.

That's quite a bit of money just to charge a smartphone while on the road.. especially as I will be in Europe where I should be able to find a power point to charge the phone every couple of days.
Last edited by elStado on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA