randyrob

Reducing Weight on a MTB

Postby randyrob » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey Guys,

I own a Giant Talon 1 (2011) here are the specs ==>
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 389/44225/
or
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bike ... alon.1.pdf

I have got a couple of season's out of it and so far have only replaced the things that have worn or broken.
That being the Saddle/Seatpost/Tyres (replaced stock units with Selle Italia Flite XC Gel-Flow Saddle/Thompson Seatpost & Maxis Highroller tyres)

I understand it is an entry level MTB and there is room for improvements weight wise but which are the best components to upgrade first and why. The Front Forks, Rims...? any other suggestions appreciated.

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

drubie

Re: Reducing Weight on a MTB

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:46 pm

It's a pretty sweet rig already randyrob - if you want lighter you have to get spendy unfortunately.

The crank could probably stand an upgrade to one of the Deore ones with the external bearing cups - would save a few grams and add some stiffness.

The forks problem probably isn't their weight - you would have to step up into the $300+ range to get anywhere worthwhile.

Wheels - maybe. but again how much do you want to spend? The better quality wheels all seem to be moving away from the 9mm QR standard so upgrading your wheels to something super tough and light also means upgrading the fork to a thru-axle type setup (worthwhile in itself).

Then you'd have to seriously look at the cost vs. flogging the bike and simply buying something lighter - there are some nice light frames coming from Felt/Scott etc. that had me drooling lately.

In short...for most mountain bikes the upgrades tend to be towards greater capability rather than worrying about weight so there isn't much of a market for super light parts.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 pm

I've been riding a MTB that had a similar spec when I bought it (a Hasa Race 7.0) and while I have to admit not much of it is stock anymore, I don't think I'd advise getting too carried away with upgrades if I were you.

You have a fine entry level MTB, but the benefits of upgrades may be marginal. If something breaks by all means put on something flasher. If something isn't doing what you want it to do, then get something else, and if you really want to try out something else just for the sheer upgraditis/try it factor then go for it too as long as you don't mind spending the $$, but before you start up that path think hard about what you've got, what you want and whether you want to save for another bike altogether.

With my bike I replaced the wheels, because the original hubs were not very good and I like to build my own wheels, but otherwise the other changes have been to the cockpit so as to try dial in my fit, try different set ups etc. I've resisted the urge to buy new forks, brakes or drive train (though I did get better cranks, chain and cassette to make things smoother) because the economics just don't stack up, I think. That's not to say you will come to the same conclusion though and if you don't have spare $$ then slow upgrades as you can afford them might be your best option.

Edit - beaten to the punch by Drubie

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Hye Guys,

Appreciate the wise words. I hear you.

Drubie, Is this the Crankset you are referring too? http://www.this link is broken/shimano-deore-m ... -chainset/
Seems like a very cheap upgrade (current platinum price is $98) given it also comes with the Bottom Bracket. Will the difference in Ring Combo make much of a difference : 48/36/26 vs Mine 44/32/22.

Cheers Rob.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Look around for pricing on that Deore cranskset, you'll find it cheaper than at Wiggle (and factor in the BB too if it doesn't come with the cranks). For eg:

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=40496

You should be able to get it with a range of chainring sizes.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Those are the ones - the external bearing cups / BB make sure they're included like Jean said. They are lighter and far more rigid. I quite like the 44/22 spread on mtb cranks rather than a 48 - if you're spinning out a 44/11 or 44/12 you're not riding offroad :-)

The Chain Reaction link says "BB Is Included" - those cranks are a steal at that price.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey Guys,

That is Awesome! Exactly the info I was after.

I've ordered the Shimano Deore Chainset 9sp M590 - 175mm 4-Bolt 22.32.44 Black.
Came to 83.72 AUD with Free Post. Very Cheap Upgrade.

I guess the original reason I was chasing reduced weight, was I notice a difference when I go out and do
a shorter loop (less than 25km) and I only take 1 Water bottle and a Tube in my jersey pocket vs when I do longer rides
and I take a couple of water bottles, a saddle bag with tools/tubes/parts etc

Cheers Rob.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Oh dammit - not free shipping at chain reaction...must...resist...

Randyrob - you may need to borrow the bearing cup tool to get those cups in your MTB - although "I've been told" careful use of multi-grips and rubber straps is enough

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am

Fitted those self same M590's to the Scaffold - excellent upgrade. However, you'll need to be careful with the BB shell thread when you fit the cups as any paint or chaff makes threading them on tricky and they should not be tricky - make sure you use a bit of grease too.

The other really good upgrade is wheels. Stock OE wheels in that bike range aren't that great. Spending up to about $250 in the UK for a new wheelset is well worth it. Otherwise about $400 here. A mate just left $130 with Wiggle for some Fulcrum Red Metal 10's on runout and they are a nice looking/feeling thing...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 am

silentbutdeadly wrote: A mate just left $130 with Wiggle for some Fulcrum Red Metal 10's on runout and they are a nice looking/feeling thing...
Me too - got them sitting in the shed ready to go - although you do have to drill them for schrader valves if you want to run normal tubes.

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Hey Guys,

Those rims sound like a steal, i'd have to buy some 6 bolt rotors and probably a new cassette too which makes it a bit more prohibitive - But when the time comes when I have worn out my current rotors and cassette
I recon i'd grab some of these along with those parts. I know i'm on borrowed time with my rear hub - The cassette housing has a bit of play/slack in it. I also use the Bike for Touring the Munda Biddi Trail each year,
So having strong rims with easily replaceable spokes is quite important to me.

Cheers Rob.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Another crank option http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Drivet ... 2-Crankset I put some on my Giant Boulder and have been really happy.
Cheers
Nicko

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 am

drubie wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote: A mate just left $130 with Wiggle for some Fulcrum Red Metal 10's on runout and they are a nice looking/feeling thing...
Me too - got them sitting in the shed ready to go - although you do have to drill them for schrader valves if you want to run normal tubes.
Actually they are $118.12 Landed at the moment with the checkout code BONUS10, that's less than $60 a Wheel....hmmm......

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

dammit. Good wheels though (like all Fulcrum wheels). Not sure whether they will be lighter than what you've already got, but they sure are pretty.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am

Yeh,
probably wheelset/tyres would be the most weight saving upgrade, rolling mass as said.
But I wouldn't let it bother you too much about saving to much weight. Back in the day we were all about drilling chainrings, cogsets, barends, (remember them) waterbottle cages and even stupidly seatposts :!: The only thing I didn't drill out was the Camelback.
I think the mid priced MTB's today are so much lighter than the high end stuff of the 90's so go out and ride it till it drops. The heavier weight just makes you a better rider in the end.
Now those cranks you got, they could do with some drilling :lol:
Geoff
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 pm

You should see some improvement when the new cranks are on, and the hollowtech ones are much nicer to work with.

Do the wheels next - even if the weight savings don't sound amazing on paper, nice wheels will transform the bike.

I was about to advertise some wheels i built but haven't used. 32h XT hubs with eyeletted 450g rims. They are really nice wheels and will be around $200 with rotors which will be a steal. I'll probably put up an ad soon if you are interested

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey Alistair,

Yes let me know for sure!

Cheers Rob.

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Cranks are Installed & a nice set of wheels built up by Alistair :D

Original Weight before the upgrades was 13.6kg, now weighing 12.29kg

Can't wait to take her for a spin this weekend.

Cheers Rob.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 pm

randyrob wrote: Original Weight before the upgrades was 13.6kg, now weighing 12.29kg
Rockin!

I am a little surprised you managed to shave over a kg off it with those two changes though - way to go!

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri May 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Looks good Rob. Glad to see them on a bike and getting used. I have been using those race kings and like them too - good choice.

The tora would be the next place to go looking for weight savings. I think you should notice a decent difference from what you have done already though.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri May 04, 2012 10:54 pm

What are the wheels?

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Sat May 05, 2012 12:53 pm

They are 2011 XT hubs with some of the rims Cycle Solutions were bringing in before it closed down, and double butted Mach 1 spokes. They build up really nicely, but I didn't end up needing any more 26" wheels. I hope Rob gives them some punishment and enjoys them.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat May 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks