six hours in the saddle - beechworth

zakka101

six hours in the saddle - beechworth

Postby zakka101 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 am

anyone making the trip to this event? first time for me and my mates doing it, havent done an enduro on the MTB before so its all new to us!
should be pretty fun, any tips from previous years?

trailgumby

Re: six hours in the saddle - beechworth

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Have you worked out your nutrition and hydration strategy?

It's a good idea to do a few long training rides in the lead-up to work out what you need for carbs and hydration. Getting caught short in either department, or (worse) locked up with excruciating cramps in the middle of nowhere is not fun - best avoided!

Let me state emphatically that Gatorade or similar lolly water does not cut the mustard unless you are into self-inflicted misery. Sucrose (standard table sugar) spikes and then dumps you straight into bonk-land. Most unpleasant.

Sustainable race pace is around 75-90% of threshhold heart rate, and you should aim to consume 1-1.3g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per hour. For me (AT) 80kg, that's one bidon of High5, + one High5 gel + half a soft fruit bar per hour. 2:1 Maltodextrin - fructose mixes like High 5, Endura and GU2O are far far better. For 6 hours I'd even be looking at something with protein in it like Hammer Heed.

Oh, and while I remember, don't put these mixes in your Camelbak bladder. Impossible to rinse out properly and ghastly bacterial growth is the result. :x Bottles only.

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

hey gumby

cheers for the reply! i have done a fair few long rides out at the you yangs reserve on their single trail tracks and have figured out what not to do already so im set in my nutrition/hyrdation area. but i did learn about putting the mixed stuff in my camelbak the hard way.....and have since bought a new bladder hehe.

i was more so wanting to know what the trail is like there and such, as i bloody love the you yangs kurrajong park tracks ( not really into the DH stuff ) so was kind of hoping if its similar to that in beechworth? and weather wise it would be cold there wouldnt it?

going to be a cracker day though!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Cool. :D The first enduro thing set off the alarms. "Warning, Will Robinson!" :lol:

We had a guy join us a month or so ago on one of our epic group rides who was well underprepared with what he'd packed for nutrition and water and suffered like a dog.

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

oh of course, i am abit of a noob to MTB but in regards to nutrition ive done a few marathons/adventure races so i know my body quite well yay.

but yeah, im thinking just powerade and water the whole time. that'll get me through the whole thing wont it ;-)

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 am

Yeh Zakka101,
This is my backyard playground.
Beechworth is a pretty demanding area to ride in. Lots of nice hard granite to get hooked up on. The Beechworth MTB park itself has plenty of steep short climbs and some slippery drop offs, (this time of year) so if you use to this kind of riding, you'll enjoy it. At 500 - 600mtrs high its sure is getting cold up there now.
Good to do a couple of days training up there, pre race.
Geoff
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 am

sounds pretty awesome geoff, was planning on taking thermals and stuff with me as i have been up to beechworth many times when it has been cold ( had rellies that used to live there ) but unfortunately wont be able to get any training rides in ( driving from melbourne the afternoon before )
guess i'll just have to make it work on the day! but thanks for the post mate, really looking forward to smashing the crap outta it! ( hopefully ;-) )