BMC

RICHARDH

BMC

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 pm

What do you guys think?

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/an ... r-of-money

Doesn't take long for the press to turn does it, or is just certain elements of the press?
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Daccordi Rider

Re: BMC

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Teh Tan Man, cyclings most astute judge! :shock: :lol:
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 pm

He's a goose, and somehow, whenever I wtch cycling central, the FFWD button magically works until he is off screen ...

dunno why :?: :?: :roll: :wink:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't agree with Tan's reasoning for the lack of results but when you spend as much as BMC have on their roster scrutiny is to be expected.

Personally I hope Hushovd and Gilbert achieve some results before the Tour. Gilbert might be capable in the coming days.
FPR Ragamuffin

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 pm

The press are months behind many cycling fans. There has been criticism of BMC, but not of Cadel. The initial criticism was along the lines of too many chiefs and not enough indians, and team dysfunctional dynamics. Then discussion turned towards the teams' stars lack of form. Personally, I'm starting to question whether Cadel has it in him to make a serious run at another TDF.

There has also been much criticism of Greenedge (most noteably from Sky fans) and how poor their squad is, especially focussing on the lack of genuine climbers and GC contenders. I don't care so much for these criticisms, as the team stated early on what they would be going for. It's just a pity the sprinters aren't holding up there end of the bargin so far. Again, personally I just hope the team survives long enough (find some sponsors guys) to see what type of pros the young riders develop in to.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 am

My real beef with Tan is that his very quick to jump on board and quicker to get off, i personally find the guy irritating and has nothing really insightful to say. Whats worse is Tomlaris gets worse when his doing segments with him. BMC have had a very luke warm start but that could change in the coming weeks. Thor was always needing Roubaix to fall his way for him to beat Boonen and Cancellara. Gilbert is struggling but hardly surprising considering the previous year, what goes up must come down. Evans is starting slow but i dont mind that Romandie will prove interesting to see were his at if his over the sinus thing.

As for Greenedge and there recruiting, I cant really see a rider that was on the market that they could afford that they didnt get. I know Bannan has said there was one they were interested in but couldn't secure but there wouldn't be a team in the WT that can't say that. Gossie will come good probably around the Tour and the Olympics, Meyer is free to really focus on Stage Racing which they have lacked, again the Tour will be very interesting for him. Bobridge is focused on the TP but next year is going to be a great developmental year for him and alot of the other guys like Durbridge, Hepburn and Docker ( I think he would have been right up there on the Cobbled Classics which would have been good for when Langeveld crashed out). Have they got guys that are consistent favourites no but they have a host of guys that can ride there own race and surprise people just look at Gerrans and Albasini.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 am

Why do people continue reading and listening to this ... complete knob. I loathe and detest Anthony Tan as do so so many. Please SBS, just tell him to pi$$ off!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

MREJ

BMC

Postby MREJ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 am

All the article really says is that BMC is paying big money but the riders aren't getting the results that might be expected (or hoped for), and they'll need to be on song if they are to win Le Tour. Well that's right isn't it?
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 am

He needs to point it out? Besides, @BMC_Witch_Dr has the TDF thing covered apparently.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 am

MREJ wrote:All the article really says is that BMC is paying big money but the riders aren't getting the results that might be expected (or hoped for), and they'll need to be on song if they are to win Le Tour. Well that's right isn't it?
You've stated the facts as they are but Tan has a slant, "The colour of money" he's clearly suggesting that the big paycheque has fattened up Hushovd and Gilbert and made them complacent....
But in paying his riders far above the norm (“You have to pay them right. You give them a little higher value... that’s what we try to do,” Rihs told me), two-thirds of his Big Three appeared to have become a little lax. And they wouldn’t be the first generously remunerated athletes to fall foul of form; modern sporting history is littered with similar cases in point.
and
Though perhaps riders like Hushovd and Gilbert need to take a leaf out of the Book of Cadel, who appreciates and understands the meaning of lost opportunities.
I couldn't disagree with Tan more. Hushovd's "dream" is Roubaix, he's hungry for it and I'm sure he's aware that the window is slowly closing as he ages. I believe that both Hushovd and Gilbert have just been unlucky with sickness interrupting their preparations for the races that matter to them. I don't doubt their commitment.
FPR Ragamuffin

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am

I agree Chuck, the point of the article isn't entirely off and some speculation over BMC performance is warranted. Tan's article though is more about how high wages and lot's of stars can cause teams to become lax. This can be true i just think it is incredibly early to start calling this and coming from a reporter that was criticizing another team for not doing the exact same thing seems a bit contradictory. Being totally honest part of the reason i dislike the article is Tan, i used to suffer through cycling shorts on Cycling Central, i then graduated to yelling at the T.V. now i just don't watch.

One thing you can say about Tan though is that his timing is great

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-d ... -1/results