So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

ldrcycles

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:13 am

Forgot to mention, i've worked out the problem with the brake lever is that the pivot for the cradle thing that hols the cable head is in the wrong spot, ie it hasn't been made properly, so that should be a pretty straightforward warranty job. I should be able to get it to big w on tuesday arvo, so i'll report on what happens.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 am

I really want to get one, to turn into a track bike. The only problem is my dad might not like me getting another bike
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

herpderp

Postby herpderp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:51 pm

So I got a Preset last week and being a beginner, I took it to my LBS for a first service. When I got my bike back the owner told me it was a horrible bike and I should take it to wherever I bought it and get my money back. Now, this left me wondering, is this bike really as bad as the man says or is he being unreasonable and should i look elsewhere for another LBS?
A few other things he told me was to remove the red paint off the tyres as they would eat through the brake pads in weeks, he did not like how close the brakes were to the tyres and reminded me again to return the bike for my money spent.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:46 pm

For 98 bucks, I'd buy one to ride to Northbridge and then trash it with Mates. Beats locking up my Track bike on the main drag and worrying about it while I'm at the pub/club.

48cm bars are hardly narrow ha ha I run 40cm drops on my roadie and 38cm risers on my street track bike running a much bigger gear and climbing is fine! Put all that energy into your legs rather than tilting your bike from side to side!!

Good to hear your experience is good, however I wouldn't recommend one (or any $400 off the shelf SS/fixed) to anyone wanting to start riding.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm

herpderp wrote:So I got a Preset last week and being a beginner, I took it to my LBS for a first service. When I got my bike back the owner told me it was a horrible bike and I should take it to wherever I bought it and get my money back. Now, this left me wondering, is this bike really as bad as the man says or is he being unreasonable and should i look elsewhere for another LBS?
A few other things he told me was to remove the red paint off the tyres as they would eat through the brake pads in weeks, he did not like how close the brakes were to the tyres and reminded me again to return the bike for my money spent.
The bike is probably a good buy at $98 IMHO.

It is not a good buy if you have to pay a bike shop to strip it down and rebuild it with grease, true wheels etc . What did that cost you?

A single speed/fixed gear bike is not what i would recommend to a beginner either.

$98 is not a lot of money. I have spent that much on two tyres at a LBS.

I assume you mean red paint on the rims (not tyres). It will wear off with use but you may have poor braking at first.

When you buy a bike at a LBS it often comes with a couple of free services and a shop that is willing to give you the customer free advice.

Big W is not a bike shop that gives good bike advice but they sell cheap bikes.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:07 pm

herpderp wrote:So I got a Preset last week and being a beginner, I took it to my LBS for a first service. When I got my bike back the owner told me it was a horrible bike and I should take it to wherever I bought it and get my money back. Now, this left me wondering, is this bike really as bad as the man says or is he being unreasonable and should i look elsewhere for another LBS?
Just my opinion but some of what he is saying is a bit off. Firstly he is at least correct about the tyres, as i said above the stock 35c tyres have VERY limited clearance. Unless you're going down a hill at 60+kmh or riding on gravel it should never be a problem though.

His comment about the paint is incorrect, it goes the other way, one ride in the rain and the paint will come straight off the braking surface (that's exactly what happened with my other singlespeed). What he may have been attempting to get at is that until the paint wears off, the braking will be a bit noisy and not as good as it can be.

Finally (and again, just my opinion) he is WRONG in saying it's a horrible bike. As i've said quite a few times so far, it rides beautifully and all the parts are serviceable quality (unlike many other cheap bikes i've tinkered with), the only issue it has is the initial assembly, and if that shop is worthy of being called an LBS they should be able to get things shipshape blindfolded.

Backdoorboss

Postby Backdoorboss » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:24 am

Hi Guys,
I had not ridden a bicycle in about 10 years. Was looking to get a cheap commuter bike for work , which is not really very far only 2-3km's and also go for rides on the weekend. (Shed some weight while I am at it.)
I was 50/50 on whether I should purchase this Big W bike after hearing so many bad things about buying from a department store.
Two of my mates own the Reid Harriers and they spent about $400.00 on their bikes. I was also 50/50 on whether I should go for that one too.
But after reading this forum and ldrcycles post, I decided to pull the trigger on the Big W Repco Preset.

Putting it together wasn't too hard. Frame looks and feels sturdy. Some parts do look a bit cheap, like the brakes and pedals but all work and function nonetheless.
Took it out this weekend to St. Kilda beach with a few of my mates and had a blast! I forgot how fun it was riding a bike. I think we did about 20km's all up.

The only thing that bothered me was the saddle that the bike came with. It felt like my bum was bleeding after the ride. It was so sore that sitting down would hurt.
Also the brakes would squeak, but as ldrcycles has said, I think that is normal and should go away after awhile.

Other than that couldn't be happier on the $98 I spent.

Now, I did try my friends Reid bikes and the most noticeable thing for me was that their bikes were a lot lighter than mine (other than the fact they had colorful rims and a slightly more comfortable saddle.)
Also it took less effort pedaling to get the bike moving or when going up a hill. Would it be due to the bikes weight??

My question is, considering I saved about $300, would changing the cranks, pedals and getting new wheels be worthwhile on making the bike lighter?
I am definitely going to invest in another saddle. I don't wanna spend too much, perhaps around the $200-$250 mark
Going to look on Ebay and perhaps go to markets and swap meets in the coming future. I mite even visit my LBS but I think some of their stuff is a bit overpriced.
"Doing up" a bicycle sounds like a lot of fun too and I wouldn't mind learning a few things about bikes while I am at it.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Backdoor

herpderp

Postby herpderp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 am

mitzikatzi wrote: It is not a good buy if you have to pay a bike shop to strip it down and rebuild it with grease, true wheels etc . What did that cost you?

A single speed/fixed gear bike is not what i would recommend to a beginner either.

$98 is not a lot of money. I have spent that much on two tyres at a LBS.

I assume you mean red paint on the rims (not tyres). It will wear off with use but you may have poor braking at first.
Costed me $65 :oops:, but I would rather be sure and have it properly set up before adventuring off on my new found buddy. Also, I've done some cycling in my earlier days and thought a fixie would be a good, new experience to try out, hence the cheaper bigw fixie.

And yes, my bad. Paint on the rims not tyres :)
ldrcycles wrote:Just my opinion but some of what he is saying is a bit off. Firstly he is at least correct about the tyres, as i said above the stock 35c tyres have VERY limited clearance. Unless you're going down a hill at 60+kmh or riding on gravel it should never be a problem though.

His comment about the paint is incorrect, it goes the other way, one ride in the rain and the paint will come straight off the braking surface (that's exactly what happened with my other singlespeed). What he may have been attempting to get at is that until the paint wears off, the braking will be a bit noisy and not as good as it can be.

Finally (and again, just my opinion) he is WRONG in saying it's a horrible bike. As i've said quite a few times so far, it rides beautifully and all the parts are serviceable quality (unlike many other cheap bikes i've tinkered with), the only issue it has is the initial assembly, and if that shop is worthy of being called an LBS they should be able to get things shipshape blindfolded.
Don't think I will ever ride the fixie on a non-asphalt road, but out of curiosity - can the clearance be improved? ie. different tyres or brakes? Also thinking of changing some parts if I manage to get hold of some spare cranksets or brakes.

I do believe this LBS is capable of producing quality service (hint: its located smack centre on a uni campus) but I get the impression they only judge based on brands and the physical looks of things. I've yet to ride this fixie for a medium/long journey but I can't help forgetting what the owner has said about this bike, knowing he hasn't even ridden the poor fellow he criticised.

Think I'll just visit another LBS the next time I decide to get a service or parts.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 am

Backdoorboss wrote:Hi Guys,
I had not ridden a bicycle in about 10 years. Was looking to get a cheap commuter bike for work , which is not really very far only 2-3km's and also go for rides on the weekend. (Shed some weight while I am at it.)
I was 50/50 on whether I should purchase this Big W bike...................couldn't be happier on the $98 I spent.
Good onya mate! Have fun with it. I`ve looked at them at the local Big W and if they are still available in a few weeks I'm getting one for the relatives to ride when they visit.
Cheers, Rob.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:38 am

Backdoorboss wrote: The only thing that bothered me was the saddle that the bike came with. It felt like my bum was bleeding after the ride. It was so sore that sitting down would hurt.

My question is, considering I saved about $300, would changing the cranks, pedals and getting new wheels be worthwhile on making the bike lighter?
Saddles are very much a personal thing, i put the saddle on another bike of mine and don't mind it (i put a wider one on the preset to stop my knicks from catching on the clamp bolt). Lots of cheap 2nd hand barely used saddles on ebay.

To lose weight the first place i would look is the cranks, when i had those off to adjust the BB i was amazed how much weight was in them. You could probably lop off half a kilo with a pair of old alloy cranks, i wouldn't be surprised if you could find something suitable for $40-50. Because the pedals are plastic they don't weigh that much, but you could replace them with more comfortable/durable ones for sure. The wheels aren't that heavy IMO, would probably cost a bit to get lighter ones. Great to hear you getting out there and enjoying it :) .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 am

herpderp wrote: Costed me $65 :oops:, but I would rather be sure and have it properly set up before adventuring off on my new found buddy. Also, I've done some cycling in my earlier days and thought a fixie would be a good, new experience to try out, hence the cheaper bigw fixie.
You did the right thing, as i found, the assembly of the bikes is so bad that if they aren't adjusted properly, they won't last or be enjoyable. Doing the adjusting yourself is the cheapest way of course but even if you need a shop to do it, you're still talking about a new bike for $163.

Don't think I will ever ride the fixie on a non-asphalt road, but out of curiosity - can the clearance be improved? ie. different tyres or brakes? Also thinking of changing some parts if I manage to get hold of some spare cranksets or brakes.
[/quote]

The clearance on the front is reasonable, the clearance at the back is much tighter. Quickest fix is put another 2 or 3 links in the chain, alternatively do what i did and swap the 35mm stock tyres for 28mm. More clearance and probably helps the speed too. Lighter cranks is a good idea, the brakes could be improved on a bit but the stock ones are fine for me (dodgy levers aside).

ekwj

Postby ekwj » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm

First and foremost, hi everyone, I'm new here. Just started cycling again (purely leisure, nothing serious). Have been following this thread closely as I have also purchased a Preset 700c.
Anyway, I am fairly new to the fixie,SS scene so correct me if I use the wrong terminologies etc.
Lighter cranks is a good idea,
When you say lighter cranks, do you mean a brand new crankset? or just the arms and not the chainring?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I would go a new crankset and BB, a cartridge BB will last longer with less maintenance than the standard live bearing one. I think the chainring is actually pressed into the driveside crankarm, so it can't be swapped over like bolt on ones, or the ones found on Ashtabula (BMX) cranks. In any case, much lighter aluminium cranks can be had very cheaply. Incidentally assuming all goes according to plan i will be taking the bike to big w tomorrow afternoon to try and get the brake lever issue sorted, i'll let you know how it goes.

Backdoorboss

Postby Backdoorboss » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 am

ldrcycles wrote:I would go a new crankset and BB, a cartridge BB will last longer with less maintenance than the standard live bearing one. I think the chainring is actually pressed into the driveside crankarm, so it can't be swapped over like bolt on ones, or the ones found on Ashtabula (BMX) cranks. In any case, much lighter aluminium cranks can be had very cheaply. Incidentally assuming all goes according to plan i will be taking the bike to big w tomorrow afternoon to try and get the brake lever issue sorted, i'll let you know how it goes.
So I found a website called cyclingdeal that sells some bike parts for pretty cheap.

Looking to get this crank http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/lasco ... e/FI-D46D2
Now, I dont have the tools right now to pull out the crank and see if the BB is a square/diamond one.

ldrcycles, could you possible tell me if the above crank would be compatible?

I will also probably need a toolkit as well, not sure which one to get either:
There is a 13 piece set, but will have to wait until early May to get it http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bikeh ... set/YC-737
Or the 8 piece set http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bikeh ... set/YC-739

Considering I want to change the crank and eventually change the wheels (possibly the BB), which would you think best would suit my purposes?

Would I still need to buy a bottom bracket? It is only $12, but I will have to measure it once I get the chance tomorrow. I was under the impression I would be able to just bolt on a new one.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shima ... -bb/BBUN26

HAHA, im like a little kid in a candy shop.
Just realized I spend about 2 hours looking for parts online, time flies when your having fun.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Backdoor.

ekwj

Postby ekwj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:08 am

Hah Backdoorboss, you pretty much asked the questions that I wanted to ask. Thanks. Would love to hear ldr's thoughts.

My only concern with the new crankset is the 46 teeth as opposed to what we currently have which is 44 teeth. Would the extra 2 teeth make a considerable difference in terms of how much more effort you'd need to put when pedalling?
Just realized I spend about 2 hours looking for parts online, time flies when your having fun.
Dude, I've been spending every free minute I have looking at parts all on the net.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

Wow you guys are keen! :D . I'll try and cover everything, bear in mind i'm far from being an expert but i can tinker pretty well.

The cranks you're after are 'square taper', which those lasco ones are. I have some lasco cranks on my other singlespeed and they're not bad, MUCH lighter than the Repco ones. That price is good too, as is the price on the BB (very good actually). One of those BBs would be a definite improvement, you would be looking at a 110mm one, longer ones would put the cranks a bit far away from the frame, and put the chainline off (ie, the chain would not be going in a straight line to the back wheel). If you're going to change the cranks, i would pop in a new BB at the same time.

With the toolkits (which are also very cheap, i haven't seen cyclingdeal before, i'll have to spend some time looking when i can) the 8 piece will do most stuff, but with the small difference in price i would go with the 13.

46-16 is the gear i have on my other singlespeed and it is significantly harder, gearing is a personal thing dpending on whether you're a grinder or spinner, what your local terrain is like etc. With the flat bars the standard gearing is very good, though on the flat it can be a little short. If you put drop bars on it which would get you more aero, you would spin out more easily. 46-16 is pretty hard on a decent hill though.
ekwj wrote:
Dude, I've been spending every free minute I have looking at parts all on the net.
I know that feeling, it's addictive!

ekwj

Postby ekwj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:17 pm

If I do go ahead with the 46T crank. Should I get an entirely new chain? Or get one of those quick-release chain link thingamajigs? Are they safe?

Also, I've been looking at both the Shun and Lasco 46T cranksets on cyclingdeal and realized that the crank arm length for Shun is longer than Lasco (should I worry about the 0.2 gain ratio difference?). Also, the Shun is about 50g lighter than the Lasco, 677g vs 722g. Just wanted to point that out for Backdoorboss and anyone else deciding between the two. Have I missed anything else that's important about these two cranksets that I should be looking at?

Links to both cranksets below.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shun- ... 46t/SS8106
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/lasco ... 6t/FI-AD46

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm

"Upgrading" a cheap heavy crankset to another cheap, shiney and slighty lighter crankset is not much of an upgrade IMHO.

I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money. I would ride the Big W as is. Maybe different tyres and points of contact seat, grips etc. It is far more cost effective to buy a quality bike to start with then spending money on a cheap bike. If you can ride you $98 bike for a 1000km then sell it for $25 then you have had a cheap 1000km of riding. You will then have a good idea of what you want from a bike. YMMV

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm

mitzikatzi wrote: I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money.
Usually correct, although i once managed to build a $300 GT Agressor into a sub 10kg XC race bike for less than $700 in total. And you're not going to find many 9.5kg XC bikes for $700. The other point being that the frame on the Preset is the best part, and is very good regardless of price. IMO it would be as good, if not better, than any of the other fixies/SS being sold for $400+. $98 is cheap for any frame, let alone one that rides really well.

ekwj, I would go with whichever crankset you prefer the look of (to my eyes the lasco, i like that silver stripe), 45g is not a big difference when they are going to be probably 500g lighter than what they are replacing. I will pop the cranks off mine and weigh them just to see what the starting point is.

On the warranty front, i checked the owners manual before going to big w and noticed a few interesting things. The frame and forks are covered for 2 years, all other parts (excluding tyres tubes and wheels, the omission of wheels sounds a bit off) for 30 days. However..

"This defects warranty does not apply...where the bicycle or any part of it...does not consist solely of original parts or equipment".
Now that sounds to me as though the fact i have replaced the tyres and saddle means it is no longer covered by warranty? I don't think so.

The other part of concern was the process detailed for claiming on the warranty, in short, it needed to be taken back to big w with a receipt (naturally) and "written reasons why the purchaser considers that the purchaser has a claim...provide all necessary details". It then goes on to say that they will repair the bike/part, or if they can't repair it within 12 weeks, they will replace it. Hmmm. Sounds like the comments about after sales service have a pretty fair leg to stand on doesn't it? I can't imagine any bike shop needing you to write an essay on what you think is wrong with a bike before sorting out a problem.

With that in mind, i decided to leave the bike in the car and say to the lady at the service desk "There's a problem with a bike i bought, what's the process for getting it sorted out?". The response "The bike repair man is in this weekend, if you can drop it off on friday with a copy of the receipt and your details he can have a look at it". So that's what i'll do, after i pop the original parts back on just to be sure.

ekwj

Postby ekwj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money.
To each their own I guess. I enjoy tinkering with my bike and it doesn't cost me as much as a hobby. If I do get serious about this, I'll start spending more dough. =]

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 am

ekwj wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money.
To each their own I guess. I enjoy tinkering with my bike and it doesn't cost me as much as a hobby. If I do get serious about this, I'll start spending more dough. =]

Don't let me stop you upgrade away :)

Cheap fixie parts here
or 8) or 8)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:45 am

Popped the cranks off and weighed them this morning, exactly 1385g! That's a huge chunk of weight, so those aluminium cranks for $30odd dropping over half a kilo is a bargain.

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote: I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money.
Usually correct, although i once managed to build a $300 GT Agressor into a sub 10kg XC race bike for less than $700 in total. And you're not going to find many 9.5kg XC bikes for $700. The other point being that the frame on the Preset is the best part, and is very good regardless of price. IMO it would be as good, if not better, than any of the other fixies/SS being sold for $400+. $98 is cheap for any frame, let alone one that rides really well.

ekwj, I would go with whichever crankset you prefer the look of (to my eyes the lasco, i like that silver stripe), 45g is not a big difference when they are going to be probably 500g lighter than what they are replacing. I will pop the cranks off mine and weigh them just to see what the starting point is.

On the warranty front, i checked the owners manual before going to big w and noticed a few interesting things. The frame and forks are covered for 2 years, all other parts (excluding tyres tubes and wheels, the omission of wheels sounds a bit off) for 30 days. However..

"This defects warranty does not apply...where the bicycle or any part of it...does not consist solely of original parts or equipment".
Now that sounds to me as though the fact i have replaced the tyres and saddle means it is no longer covered by warranty? I don't think so.

The other part of concern was the process detailed for claiming on the warranty, in short, it needed to be taken back to big w with a receipt (naturally) and "written reasons why the purchaser considers that the purchaser has a claim...provide all necessary details". It then goes on to say that they will repair the bike/part, or if they can't repair it within 12 weeks, they will replace it. Hmmm. Sounds like the comments about after sales service have a pretty fair leg to stand on doesn't it? I can't imagine any bike shop needing you to write an essay on what you think is wrong with a bike before sorting out a problem.

With that in mind, i decided to leave the bike in the car and say to the lady at the service desk "There's a problem with a bike i bought, what's the process for getting it sorted out?". The response "The bike repair man is in this weekend, if you can drop it off on friday with a copy of the receipt and your details he can have a look at it". So that's what i'll do, after i pop the original parts back on just to be sure.
don't forget that they also have to abide by the state laws and a written warranty does not preclude their responsibilities.
If in fact it is a manafacturing defect, you have the right to choose, repair, replace or refund.

just my personal opinion but changing things like the tyres should not come into play unless the change was not like for like and may cause the problem. I beleive they are just covering themselves if people make modifications that then go on to cause their future problem.

Backdoorboss

Postby Backdoorboss » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:17 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:"Upgrading" a cheap heavy crankset to another cheap, shiney and slighty lighter crankset is not much of an upgrade IMHO.

I think spending money on a cheap bike a waste of time and money.
I can see where you are coming from, thats what my initial mindset was.
I was either going to buy a $250-$400 bike and keep it how it was, or buy the $98 big W bike and possibly upgarde it.
Now I know, people say to stay away from these type of bikes here on the forum but considering my type of bike usage, I didnt really need anything special.

When I was looking to purchase a bike there weren't many single speed bikes under $100 brand new.
The next cheapest bike on my list would jump to $250 brand new.

So now im thinking I have about $150 to spend on parts. Only thing is I didnt know buying this kind of stuff could be so addictive, Im probably going to end up spending more than $150.

Now I get to spend approx $150-$200 on a bike, learn a few things about bikes and also have fun.
I think thats a win.
ldrcycles wrote:Popped the cranks off and weighed them this morning, exactly 1385g! That's a huge chunk of weight, so those aluminium cranks for $30odd dropping over half a kilo is a bargain.
Wow, that is heavy. I placed my order today for the Lasco Crank, also got some Wellgo pedals.
I will post some pictures once I have installed them, probably do it over the weekend.

So far on my Preset I have spent.
Lasco Crankset: $35
Wellgo pedals: $15
Shimano Bottom Bracket: $12

Total: $62
Lets see if I can keep this under $200.00 I still need a comfy saddle and bling bling wheels.

ozdavo

So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby ozdavo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

ldrcycles wrote: With that in mind, i decided to leave the bike in the car and say to the lady at the service desk "There's a problem with a bike i bought, what's the process for getting it sorted out?". The response "The bike repair man is in this weekend, if you can drop it off on friday with a copy of the receipt and your details he can have a look at it". So that's what i'll do, after i pop the original parts back on just to be sure.
I'd try to have a chat with the guy before leaving the bike, you'd hate to come back and they hand you a new one in a box after the work you have put into that one.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area