Brisbane Cyclists Beware we may not get our Bikeway funding

beauyboy

Brisbane Cyclists Beware we may not get our Bikeway funding

Postby beauyboy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:36 pm

As all brissy cyclists will know Campbell Newman promised $100 million over four years but there are the first signs that we may not get what we were promised less then one month after being elected.
couriermail wrote

Price tag for transport solutions too high for council
Alison Sandy
April 15, 2008 12:00am

NEW Deputy Mayor Graham Quirk has admitted he doesn't know where the council will get the money to fund its multibillion-dollar road projects.

The co-ordinator of the new Brisbane infrastructure unit said he was exploring a range of funding options, which could include seeking more state and federal funding, setting up public-private partnerships or decentralisation.

"Council in the end cannot afford to undertake all these tasks," Cr Quirk said. "We've got a heck of a lot more pressure on us in terms of what we need to do to deliver outcomes.

"So my main job is to drive a lot of the projects and it's going to be a financial strain, but we can't afford not to do it."

Major projects to be managed by the unit include $100 million for better bikeways, the Hale St link bridge – with a price tag to council of more than $500 million – and the North South Bypass Tunnel and Northern Link, which are yet to be costed.

Brisbane City Council has an annual budget of $2 billion, and while a rate rise is tipped for the June budget, Cr Quirk said the infrastructure unit would also have to serve as a lobbying body.

"We are the centre of the region and we've got to have some recognition that the brunt of the growth in southeast Queensland is going to focus on Brisbane City," he said.

"So we'll be doing at a national and state level what we can to secure the resources necessary to get things done.

"There's already some pretty good signs of co-operation with the state, for example, the airport link. The State Government clearly saw the need for that as well and have taken over the lion share of that project."

The Federal Government also has promised to assist, allocating $500 million to the Northern Link project, but Cr Quirk said additional infrastructure funding would require the council to make better use of its assets.

"Our task here internally will be to look at ways and means to be able to create financing and that's going to require stepping outside the square," Cr Quirk said. "One of the great opportunities the former administration didn't take up was doing a multi-storey on top of Garden City bus depot.

"At the time, I wanted to use it as a regionalisation of council officers away from CBD space."

Council has more than 3000 officers working in CBD offices, with a combined rent of almost $13 million a year
Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:58 am

Were we ever going to get it? Those pictures of Newman and Rowel were nausiating and insulting.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Trust me I did not believe him for the slightest second when he said that $100 million would be put out, especially when he said in the first year there would only be $15 million.

I think he is a slimmy slease bag. That said I also believe we should start asking a questions when these thiongs first start being said.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:12 am

I also find the Brisbane CBD BUG to be a much better communications channel than BQ. Consider that the BQ advocacy page has not changed since January 2007! Does this mean no new advocacy statements have been made by BQ?

BQ is presumably presenting arguments for bicycle detours on the NSBT and Coro Drive, and for how to spend the $100M (I'll give Chaz the benefit of the doubt for the moment) and so on but you wouldn't know it from the BQ website.

I disagree that the 50km rides are 'weak'. You might go up and over Mt Nebo before breakfast four days a week but must of us are gasping on the Makerston ramp. Group rides are great fun, social, inclusive and a highly visible encouragement to get people to consider bicycles for the 5-10km commute and for moderage exercise.

If BQ doesn't get better at informing the populace about their advocacy aims, plans and on-ground progress to date then perhaps BQ could close down and sell the events list to Tri-Events commercial providers and refund our memberships.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Well that is the problem BQ is doing everything in secret until well after it is done which is doing nothing to improve member conferdence.

Donald