Am I going too easy?

sim-o

Am I going too easy?

Postby sim-o » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Am I going too easy?

I have two goals for training this year;
1) To increase my 20min TT average speed from consistent 31k/h to 33k/h+ and beyond, which I have made some minor gains on already over the last two months
2) To move from the ~50k medium group ride (30-33k/h) to the fast group ride (35k/h+), with the possibility of eventually road racing

At the moment, I'm continuously getting dropped at the end of the medium group ride (where there's more hills), and this hasn't changed much over the last few months. So, I'm wondering, is my training plan too easy?

The Plan
Monday: 40km spin (70% - 80% AT)
Tuesday: 20km 2x20min TT (100% AT) - 5 min rest between
Wednesday: 20km spin (70% - 80% AT)
Thursday: 20km 2x20min TT (100% AT) - 5 min rest between
Friday: optional 20km spin (70% - 80% AT)
Saturday: 50km group ride (100% AT) + 10km ride home
Sunday: Rest day

Every fourth week I have a rest week, where I ride about 90% and all rides are "spin" (70-80% AT)

I have just started replacing TT intervals on Thursdays with 6 x 800m hill repeats.

About Me
AT HR: ~175bpm
MAX HR: ~190bpm
Weight: 71kg
Height: 178cm
Diet: prob not enough fruit/vege, not enough water, too much dairy/breads
Sleep: about 7-8 hrs a night

Any advise as to some tweaks I can make to my training? Or is this training plan fairly good?
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

toolonglegs

Am I going too easy?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm

You should be seeing gains on that...If you know you maximum levels to push at. Make sure you 20's are pretty steady throughout the whole effort. You could take a bit more rest in between them.
Maybe you need to start putting two hard days together.
ie:- first fresh day do your 5 minute type intervals... Like 3 to 5 times hard 5 minute climbs, roll down and do it again.
Then next day do your 20 min intervals.
Rest day after that ... Then hard group ride one day, long solo the next etc.
Mix it up a bit. Race a bit.
I am not a fan of the 4th week off either. Take rest when you need it... But not a whole week.

sim-o

Re: Am I going too easy?

Postby sim-o » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm

I think you're right TLL; perhaps i'll drop the rest week, and take a few days off when feeling worn out? I'm not really feeling massively tired except during the day after the Saturday group ride, and on days when I miss some sleep.

Also, apart from the group ride and the intervals, I'm usually spinning in small CR. maybe the longer ride should be more "pace" (AT) 80-90% AT?

Mon: Hill repeats
Tue: 2x20min intervals (increase to 30 later)
Wed: 20k Spin small CR
Thu: 40-60k "Pace" big CR 80-90%AT???
Fri: 20k Spin small CR
Sat: Group ride
Sun: Rest

Maybe mix it up a bit each month.
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 pm

As always "maybe" :D .
Depends where you are now.
You are basically having 3 recovery days a week though... maybe you need it...maybe you don't :idea: .
If you can handle it...

Wed: 40-60k "Pace" big CR 80-90%AT (SST sweet spot training)...if not at endurance levels.
Thu: 20k Spin small CR
Fri: 40-60k "Pace" big CR 80-90%AT

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

I find a long ride at least once if not twice a month of at least 150km really helps with endurance but again we are all different but I find that it makes the sorter rides easy 8)

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:As always "maybe" :D .
Depends where you are now.
You are basically having 3 recovery days a week though... maybe you need it...maybe you don't :idea: .
If you can handle it...

Wed: 40-60k "Pace" big CR 80-90%AT (SST sweet spot training)...if not at endurance levels.
Thu: 20k Spin small CR
Fri: 40-60k "Pace" big CR 80-90%AT
Pretty much what i'd suggest also. The only thing I'd add is that I'd hold back on training right at threshold. Do lots of Tempo and sweet spot training until you get to the point of diminishing returns, then up the intensity and do stuff like 2 x 20 mins etc at 95-105% FTP (if using power), or at the intensity you could hold for approx 60 mins

sim-o

Postby sim-o » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks guys, I'll be adding some longer "Pace" rides this coming week. It's becoming clear to me that it's my endurance that is lacking, as I seem to be able to produce good power (perceived) for a period, but will eventually wane while others around me will keep going.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a power meter, so I base my training around HR as a % of AT (which I may be underestimating :?) and use speed as a performance metric, taking into account environmental factors etc as much as possible.

I did do some research on SST, but I can't seem to understand the difference between SST and regular time trial threshold training? Is SST training at slightly less than threshold?
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Don't go getting depressed about not having a power metre!

You need to do longer rides of a weekend and be doing afternoon rides as well. Get your base fitness hapening first, then worry about performance! :idea:
Just remember, this won't happen over night or after a couple of months. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 pm

I would suggest yes, your program is too easy. Your main training ride on the Saturday is perhaps too short.

Another 20 minute TT effort in one of the Monday or Wednesday rides would be worthwhile as well, and I'm curious as to why no climbing sessions midweek?

As to the one week easy in four, I'd encourage you to stick to that as a long term plan. I'm approaching 50, so I make mine one in three. If I don't, I get sick or injured. The periodization philosophy has a lot of good sports science evidence behind it, so I'd not disregard it lightly. Doesn't have to be completely off the bike, what you're doing on that week looks OK.

That said, you can (and I have) leave it out for a short low volume rapid-ramp program like that set out in The Time-Crunched Cyclist, but Carmichael labours the point firmly that you need to take a break after the 8-12 weeks is done. But generally in my (admittedly limited) experience it's not a sustainable long term practice.

As to why you're sagging at the end, what are you doing for on-the-bike nutrition? Sounds like you might be running out of fuel.