Do Your Bib Nix say hand wash only?

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Do they actually need to be hand washed or can I just stick them in the washing machine? They are made in australia, polyester, cannibal.

mitzikatzi

Re: Do Your Bib Nix say hand wash only?

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:43 pm

I machine wash mine. Cold water only, gentle cycle and in a "washing bag". YMMV

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 pm

I always handwash and rinse mine in cold water as soon as I get out of the post ride shower. I use a bit of detergent on the chamois then rinse the whole kit and just hang em out to dry.
Takes about 5 minutes and it doesn't risk getting them all mashed with the other clothes.
I just love riding my bike!

khendar

Postby khendar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:50 pm

I just bung mine in the machine with the rest of my clothes.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Personally I prefer to wash my cycling clothes by hand, as I can then be sure they are rinsed out thoroughly, because I no longer trust a washing machine after wearing my cycling gear that hadn’t gone through a full cycle properly................................having soap suds appear on your knicks and jersey during a sweaty ride is not a good look. :oops:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:38 pm

khendar wrote:I just bung mine in the machine with the rest of my clothes.
me too... Front load washing machine. Runs at 50 degrees celsius! Spins at 1200 RPM. So far.... the jerseys and Knicks have been holding up ok but it has only been three months with this new washing machine. Previous machine was an old top loader which thrashed the crud out of everything.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Kenzo wrote:
khendar wrote:I just bung mine in the machine with the rest of my clothes.
me too... Front load washing machine. Runs at 50 degrees celsius! Spins at 1200 RPM. So far.... the jerseys and Knicks have been holding up ok but it has only been three months with this new washing machine. Previous machine was an old top loader which thrashed the crud out of everything.
Mine go inside the front loader as well, usually inside one of the GLW's lingerie bag thingys. No issues so far.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

another for the front loader, normally after a ride i just wash my riding gear, cold wash washing powder & of course the softener so far so good i have been doing it this way for around 6 months :D
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 pm

I hand wash a lot of my clothes, including cycling stuff. I find that it keeps better and doesn't fray as much.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 pm

When I went to TdU the apartment that I stayed in had a front loader washing machine. Turned out it was a dryer as well and I thought for sure that my kit would be ruined but it came out as good as new (well clean and dry anyway!). No shrinkage or colour run or any problems at all.

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Have a bosch front loader when has a "delicate" cycle which is apparently hand wash equivalent.
Always just throw the cycling kit in there in its own load and so far so good.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 pm

In the front loader synthetic cycle 40c.

The front loader is a goner soon though going back to a top loader. Stupid thing takes toooo long and is noisy as buggery also :x

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 pm

My Assos knicks go in the wash with everything else. Even throw 'em in the dryer when I'm touring. They are two years old and going strong.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DuncanS

Postby DuncanS » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Just chuck them in the shower floor and stomp on them a couple of times. I'll machine wash jerseys because they have more of a tendency to get grimy and stinky, but the shower works fine for knicks and I believe extends their life compared to machine washing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 pm

My kit just goes onto the laundry floor and appears in the basket clean next day. Last time I went to use the GLWs flash new front loader she threw something at me :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:38 am

By the looks of the replies on this topic I might just have to buy my better half the new front loading washing machine she’s been hinting around for if I want to stop washing my own cycling gear. :?

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:23 am

Cheaper than a new girlfriend.

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 am

Also - good tip. A capful (30ml) of Dettol in the washer (where you would normally put your fabric softener (but do NOT mix these as they will go gunky in the machine) and you will find your cycle clothes will be much fresher when they get out.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Hand wash with wool mix washing liquid. My knicks lasted 6/7 years before losing their elasticity. Actually still use them under baggy shorts so that is now about 8 years.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

MikeyD360 wrote:Also - good tip. A capful (30ml) of Dettol in the washer (where you would normally put your fabric softener (but do NOT mix these as they will go gunky in the machine) and you will find your cycle clothes will be much fresher when they get out.
Other option is white vinegar in the softener thingy to help keep fabrics soft and clean. We put vinegar in just about every load, especially helps keep towels fluffy when they dry.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:My kit just goes onto the laundry floor and appears in the basket clean next day. Last time I went to use the GLWs flash new front loader she threw something at me :(

aww man how lucky are you!
2010 BMC SLC01

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Mrs Monsoon is the label reader. My kit also goes in the appropriate place in the laundry and appears folded and fresh the next day. It's a good system.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am

Most things that are labelled 'hand wash only' are only done so because to label them 'machine wash at 40 degrees' or whatever requires testing. Testing can be expensive for the garment manufacturer so therefore the cheapest option is to label 'hand wash'. Not cynical, just reality.

With the washing that a family of 8 requires we run 2 front loaders on short cycles (ha ha - is there such a thing on a front loader). We use soap nuts ( a dried fruit skin that is naturally soapy) not detergent on pretty much everything. Whites tend to yellow if you don't have the bluing agent or bleach present in commercial powder so they are the exception and get a gentle eco-powder that MoM found and we've found less damage being done to the clothes by reducing chemicals. The hardest thing to get used to was the lack of washing smell as they are both fragrance free.

Shoes like joggers go through the wash from time to time too. I've even machine washed a leather vest with no probs. Hand-wash, bah humbug.

On another note; fabric softener may soften your towels but it reduces their water absorbing/carrying properties. So if you use it on jerseys then you'll reduce the wicking ability in the removal of sweat.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:31 pm

hannos wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:My kit just goes onto the laundry floor and appears in the basket clean next day. Last time I went to use the GLWs flash new front loader she threw something at me :(

aww man how lucky are you!
I'd have to say very very lucky 8) As mentioned in a vaguely misogynistic thread elsewhere, my GLW is a wingless angel :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

velocopedant

Postby velocopedant » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Personally I prefer to wash my cycling clothes by hand, as I can then be sure they are rinsed out thoroughly, because I no longer trust a washing machine after wearing my cycling gear that hadn’t gone through a full cycle properly................................having soap suds appear on your knicks and jersey during a sweaty ride is not a good look. :oops:
Couldn't you just claim that you're a greyhound with rabies?