Track Bikes MIA in 2012 line up

Sydguy

Track Bikes MIA in 2012 line up

Postby Sydguy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Trackies

Giant, Trek & MS are either not doing a 2012 track bike or are not bringing them into Australia.

I am slowly scoping out a track bike with a view to trying out track cycling and having a back up commuter, ie front brake compatible.

Alas no Omnium or Trek T serises or even an Oppy T...

Is this down to a small market, weak demand, not much domestic interest in track riding or just to make it a bit ahrder for me to find something I like?

Cheers,
JM

r2160

Re: Track Bikes MIA in 2012 line up

Postby r2160 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Clearly they dont want our business.

On another note, Cycleworld at Burwood have track bikes in stock. I particularly think the Felt TK2 represents great value for money.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:21 pm

The Pro-Lite I bought last year is excellent. Deon (?) frequents this forum and if you mention his name three time he appears and offers you a deal. :D The carbon forks on my Trentino are drilled for brakes (not on the rear, though).

Disclaimer: Pro-lite sponsor my club (LACC) and many of us ride them.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 pm

BTW Sydguy, you need to get your butt out to Dunc Gray for RAW this year. You'll be scared crapless until you get yourself out there and then you won't be able to give it up.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm an LACC member but with study/work/child it is hard to get time to race.

Track looks like a lot of fun, and I could justify an entry level track bike if I could use it as a back up commuter.

The Specialized Langster and Felt are near top of the list at the moment.

JM

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Since you're an LACC member, you can borrow a track bike and give it a try. I can put you in touch with the appropriate person if you'd like and get you going at RAW.

The cheapo VISP frames you see on eBay are actually quite good value for the money if you're not after anything fancy. Just populate it with some cheapy track stuff and you're set. You don't need derailleurs or brakes, so it should be much cheaper to part up a bike.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Hahah thanks. Yes I am inundated with offers from the LACC crew to try out track.

I know I will become addicted so I am treating it more tentatively than cocaine.

With coke there is rehab, I'm yet to find a cure/treatment for cycling addiction.

JM

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm

If you're out at SOP this coming Saturday, say hi. I'll be in D grade wearing LACC kit :D I'll be on the low end 10 year old trek at the back of the bunch. (I'll have to get my LeMond going so then people can recognise me by my bike - you'll know that one when you see it, trust me).