Leongatha to Central Melbourne tour route?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Later this year I plan to do a fully loaded, backroads Canberra-to-Melbourne tour. Using maps, google etc. I've pretty well decided on a route as far as Leongatha. From there though, I am less certain which way to head.
There are quite a few route choices from Leongatha to central Melbourne. There looks for example, on the map, to be a good run on a bikeway along the coast.
The question is if anyone with local knowledge can suggest the best low traffic route from Leongatha to Melbourne central? Any hints appreciated.

il padrone

Re: Leongatha to Central Melbourne tour route?

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 pm

There are essentially two general ways to do this journey from Leongatha, using quieter roads. When you get into the suburbs of Melbourne you really need to get onto a train as there are no real quietly trafficked roads. You will go either via Stony Point/Frankston station or via Lilydale station.

1. The flat route. Leongatha to Inverloch and along the coastal route to Cape Paterson and Wonthaggi, then the Bass Coast Rail Trail to Anderson. Continue on to San Remo and cross Philip Island to Cowes (using the lengthy bike lanes and paths along the main road). Then you can take the ferry to Stony Point where a train runs to Frankston and on into the city. This could be done in one day.

2. The scenic but hillier route. From Leongatha ride northwards through the South Gippsland hills to Warragul. Ride north again though Neerim South towards Noojee, then westwards to Powellton and Yarra Junction. From here you can ride the gravel Warburton Railtrail into Lilydale where you can catch a suburban train to the city. Allow two days for this route.
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Thank you for this good advice. Very helpful. I had a look at the Bike Victoria site today and see that they sell a number of maps which will also be useful.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28 am

On the route option 1 above, if you get to Frankston, you only need be on-road a short way to Seaford where you can pick up the good on-road bike lane on Railway Parade which takes you to Mordialloc. At Mordi, turn left at the big roundabout and left again into the foreshore reserve (cafe and lots of bikes), and you can pick up the shared path on the foreshore mentioned in your OP. That goes all the way to Port Melbourne off-road, where you pick up the light rail path in to Southbank, and bingo, you're in the CBD.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks also for this advice as I intend to ride right to the city centre. Your suggestion sounds like the way to go. I am hoping to do a Melbourne version of a ride a did last year to Sydney from Canberra. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/housetohouse2011 The difference of course is that it is a lot further to Melbourne. Also, I am not very familiar with Melbourne or Victorian geography so the local hints are appreciated.
In the Sydney ride journal I chose a House-to-House theme. That is, "Parliament House to Opera House" as the reason to do the ride. Any ideas of what the iconic equivalent as an arrival destination would be for Melbourne? The MCG perhaps in the Olympic Year?

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Vintagetourer wrote: Any ideas of what the iconic equivalent as an arrival destination would be for Melbourne? The MCG perhaps in the Olympic Year?
Yep, you can leave it unlocked out the front of a Collingwood game with a Swans scarf draped over the frame, VT ... the Pies fans will really look after it! :smile:

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for diplomatic guidance. So on arrival I won't tactlessly upset one of the locals by asking them to "show me to your nearest iconic, unique Melbourne building." Taking photos of intellectual prowess is a bit tricky without special filters. Coffee cups? Doesn't quite cut it.
Deep down, I really want to photograph my touring bike next to a real reason for a loaded cycle tour to Melbourne...the unique and very Melbourne Phar Lap. Shouldn't be too hard :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:In the Sydney ride journal I chose a House-to-House theme. That is, "Parliament House to Opera House" as the reason to do the ride. Any ideas of what the iconic equivalent as an arrival destination would be for Melbourne? The MCG perhaps in the Olympic Year?
Lake to Lake of course. Lake Burley Griffin to Albert Park Lake :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Now that's a good idea...Lake to Lake. Thanks. Great suggestion.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 am

The clocks at Flinders St station would have to be one of the best Melbourne landmarks; maybe something at your end to match? Or the war memorials?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 am

Yes ...they are also possibilities as tour bookends. Thanks for the suggestion. The appeal of the lake idea is that they both are attractive to recreational cyclists. Well, I am assuming Lake Albert is. Is it? Lake Burley Griffin is very popular with cyclists.
Another possibility would be a 'Garden to Garden' ride and have the respective botanic gardens feature at either end of the ride.
Part of my reasoning for a Something to Something theme is that the CGOAB journals are read by a lot of overseas readers. Having a simple 'hook' in the title might encourage a few more to read the journal, and perhaps even to come downunder for a ride. Sort of a grassroots plug for Oz cycle tourism.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 am

Carillon to Clocks?
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 am

Yep...that could also work. Thanks for the idea.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Of course the House to House concept is still very relevant.... all the more so because Melbourne was the seat of the Commonwealth Parliament for the first 27 years of Australia's national history.
Mandatory helmet law?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 pm

True and I did think of this as an option but thought I'd better come up with a different title for the next ride journal.
It is hard to gauge exactly what Melbourne would be best known for by overseas readers but sport is likely to right up there. But do international tourists trot out to the MCG in droves just to take a picture of it? May be they do. I have never been there.
They certainly do for the Sydney Opera House. I couldn't believe how many backpackers, tour groups, even cycle tourists were there taking happy snaps when I rolled in at the end of the House to House tour. They weren't there for opera!

Is there a precinct in Melbourne that is a favourite for OS tourists? eg Southbank? , Federation Square?
As I said, I just don't Melbourne very well so any suggestions are appreciated.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Is there a precinct in Melbourne that is a favourite for OS tourists? eg Southbank? , Federation Square?
I'm not so sure this concept works. International tourists (at least the Japanese) go to:

1. Como House - for some strange reason
2. Healesville Sanctuary
3. Philip Island Penguin Parade
4. Great Ocean Road

As the last three are well out of Melbourne they don't really work for you, and Como House is a bt of an obscure feature.
Mandatory helmet law?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Is there a precinct in Melbourne that is a favourite for OS tourists?
The taxi rank at Tullamarine Airport :P
Here's another one: From the GG (Governor Genera's residence) to The G (as we know the MCG)
Or seeing as you mentioned Phar Lap then GG to Gee-Gee
I could go on like this for ages :)
Other options might be Mt Stromlo to the Melbourne Observatory in the Botanic Gardens near the Governor's residence

Problem is that Melbourne itself does not have iconic attractions but is more a base for tourists making day trips to the surrounding area. Unless they are coming for a sporting event like the tennis or F1
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks...more food for thought, though you are quite right in that Canberra does not have equivalents for those to use as a departure point.
It is getting confusing.
I might end up using a boring but descriptive title 'Canberra to Melbourne'.
It is OK though as I have about 4 mths to ponder yet. I do keep coming back to sport tho. No real logic, but there are a few calendar hooks and hints for a cycle tour pilgrimage to Melbourne
It is an Olympic year. I turn 56 this year. The Melbourne Olympics were in 1956. I was born in 1956.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Melbourne does not have any iconic places as such unlike that city to our north with its harbour, beaches and opera house. Melbourne can't compete with that imagery. It does have a place that is gaining in popularity with tourists and that is Fed Square. Of course it has its sporting icons the G(MCG) being the most famous. I see plenty of tourists visiting the museum and ground when I ride through there, so that could be your destination and "hook" given your olympic year connection. Just get a Sydney Olympics volunteer to break out the clothing they were issued with (and some still proudly wear after 12 years) to send you off from Canberra. :)
Last edited by Uncle Just on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Start with Floriade, finish with the Spring Carnival - horseracing, but lots of floral associations, and plenty of tourists as well. A wide enough spread to the Spring Carnival events that you can easily connect these up.

'Flowers to Flowers'.
Mandatory helmet law?

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:31 pm

How about Parliament to the Dandenongs - Nongs to 'Nongs.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Australian Academy of Science to the MCG - a search for the national average IQ :)

More seriously - both cities have fine art galleries
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:16 pm

I can see I have come to the right place for bright ideas and creative journalism. Thanks for the ideas and insights.
Two of the world's best cycling cities with some of the world's best cycling countryside in between deserves a good journal title. I'll keep pondering with your help.

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:19 am

Back on the route for the trip. I live locally to Leongatha. There is a back road to Korumburra (past the leongatha airfield) From Korumburra follow the high way a little bit and then turn north to Poowong. Poowong to Drouin, From here there is a parallel road to the highway going through Longwarry, bunyip etc till you get closer to the city. From there I will leave it with the city friends.

Another alternative. Foster follow the railtrail past Fish Creek, before Buffalo back to the road, Middle Tarwin, Inverloch, Cape Road to Wonthaggi, or back way to Daylston, railtrail to Anderson and then to Phillip Island, ferry and as indicated by others fron Stoney Point to City.

Option 3 ass above to Inverloch, Kongwak, Glen Forbes, Loch, Poowong and Droiun as above.

Route all depend on your likeing railtrails, time available and if you want coastal or inland.

Warmshower Host in Inverloch
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks...this information is also very helpful. I have ordered a set of rail trail maps from Bike Victoria. The Phillip Is. route is the one I am likely to take, but it Is interesting to know what all the good options are. It is especially good to have local knowledge such as yours to draw upon. Thanks again.