Treating a Saddle Sore

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
BarryTas

Re: Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby BarryTas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 am

The mountain range is now a deep canyon :oops: :evil: :shock: :shock: :shock: :(
when do we stop for coffee???

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

A month ago when one surfaced, i tried Tea Tree Oil. Just dabbing it on before bed. Within 2 nights it was gone and no pain.

I have been dabbing tea tree oil on the area after long rides as a preventative measure. Havent had anything since. A small 10ml bottle was about $4 from woolies. Best buy ever.

PS - i dont like the smell of the oil much tho. But oh well.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Aussie butt cream 8)

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 pm

punk_rob wrote:A month ago when one surfaced, i tried Tea Tree Oil. Just dabbing it on before bed. Within 2 nights it was gone and no pain.

I have been dabbing tea tree oil on the area after long rides as a preventative measure. Havent had anything since. A small 10ml bottle was about $4 from woolies. Best buy ever.

PS - i dont like the smell of the oil much tho. But oh well.

If that is Thursday Plantation brand tea tree oil it is damn good stuff as a topical antifungal/antiseptic. If haven't had any saddle sores but it works on tinea like nothing else. Cleared up my stinking feet when none ofthe mega expensive foot products would do the job. Cheaper at chemist warehouse than the two thieving major supermarkets too.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Tiny dab of .5% or 1% hydrocortisone cream clears up saddle sores in a day or two without fail... But only use it if you get them periodically because it weakens the skin etc. certainly better than letting them turn into boils.
I'm now an advocate of the Hydrocortisone theory. I've had a saddle sore for weeks now that just won't go away. It hasn't gotten too big, and never had a head and was never 'squeeazable.

After finding this thread a few days ago, I've been putting 1% ointment on it and after about 3 days it's pretty much gone! :D

Will also try the nappy cream idea to prevent further sore's (oh the benefits of having kids! :p )

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm

This is weird, I can't stop following this thread.
I'm a big believer in Ti Tree Oil - if you start my sister on the subject it's nearly evangelical - I reckon she believes you could regrow a limb with the stuff it's that good.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I was going to try Tea Tree Oil, but already had the cortisone cream at home, so thought I'd give that a shot first. No need for a trip to the supermarket to buy Tea Tree just yet.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

GAV!N wrote:I was going to try Tea Tree Oil, but already had the cortisone cream at home, so thought I'd give that a shot first. No need for a trip to the supermarket to buy Tea Tree just yet.
They do different things, though, Gavin - why not use both?

The cream is an anti-inflammatory, the oil is antibacterial.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Pop, splash metho, yoddle, squease and move on.:-o

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:02 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Pop, splash metho, yoddle, squease and move on.:-o

Foo

Mine rarely seem to pop, just retreat inwards. Anybody got a vid of the right technique? :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:56 pm

1) Give the affected area a bit of a hot scrub with a loofah and soap. My theory is that this breaks the skin slightly - not so that it's a bloody weeping mess, but enough for part 2 to be effective. Pop (or de-head) them if they're mature enough.
2) Apply tea tree ointment. I've never tried the oil neat, I just get the ointment.

That's usually enough to make them disappear.

I get lots of them - no doubt something to do with me commuting 5days/week in boxer shorts. As long as I hit them early, they rarely get too big and angry. But when they do... lots of poking and prodding (and watering eyes), combined with lots of tea tree oil ointment.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Tim:
Did u get on some antibiotics at the same time? Will certainly take some healing time off a non-surfacing abscess

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 am

Mulger bill wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Pop, splash metho, yoddle, squease and move on.:-o

Foo

Mine rarely seem to pop, just retreat inwards. Anybody got a vid of the right technique? :twisted:
No vid here:eek: but squease then incert sterilised needle (while eyes water) and squease even harder while screaming, cursing and whimppering like a pup.:shock:

Foo

I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 am

Hmmm, wonder if the GLW would help next time... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

barefoot wrote:1) Give the affected area a bit of a hot scrub with a loofah and soap. My theory is that this breaks the skin slightly - not so that it's a bloody weeping mess, but enough for part 2 to be effective. Pop (or de-head) them if they're mature enough.
2) Apply tea tree ointment. I've never tried the oil neat, I just get the ointment.

That's usually enough to make them disappear.

I get lots of them - no doubt something to do with me commuting 5days/week in boxer shorts. As long as I hit them early, they rarely get too big and angry. But when they do... lots of poking and prodding (and watering eyes), combined with lots of tea tree oil ointment.
Same here; it's a rare week I don't have at least one :roll: . I just HTFU and wait until they pop of their own accord. Occasionally, I have to encourage them (ouch).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Hmmm, wonder if the GLW would help next time... :?
Better hope you have not been arguing! :shock: :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

foo on patrol wrote:You're all a bunch of sooks! :lol: Just squease the bejesus out of them and hit them with meytho. :mrgreen:

I had them probably half a dozen times when I was racing and when I did a all but 2000km charity ride and was much better after
I popped them and if they wouldn't burst while squeasing, then I would drag out a needle and say cop that. :wink:

Foo

Saw this whilst investigating a nether region rash.

I really liked that post, thanks Foo :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 pm

and do you post the video on you tube? :twisted:

there are all sorts of interesting films of sebaceous cysts and zits and things being popped on you tube. Some are huge volcanoes that turn into huge craters afterwards. But the relief must also be pretty welcome.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 pm

I thought this thread had died and gone to distasteful, vomit inducing, old-post hell. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Sorry :mrgreen:
It's a great thread. Should sticky it :P

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

warthog1 wrote:Saw this whilst investigating a nether region rash.
Funny place to look...
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:40 pm

For the rash you could try canistine (sp) as it is a fungal fighting cream.;)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

foo on patrol wrote:For the rash you could try canistine (sp) as it is a fungal fighting cream.;)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
The doc had a look and without taking a culture is treating it as a bacterial infection.
Seems to be working.
I did offer her to just view the photos, but no, she wanted to look.

warthog1

Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Saw this whilst investigating a nether region rash.
Funny place to look...
Well you never know what carnage has been experienced already on the forum. :lol:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 pm

A powerful antibacterial ointment for treating saddle sores is bactroban. It's primary use is to kill staph. It was Lance Armstrongs go to ointment so it must work well! lol

It's script only and not on the PBS, so it will cost u 15 - 20 bux. Good investment... Ask yr GP next you see them...