big bruise on shin not going away

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jules21

big bruise on shin not going away

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:39 am

so i fell on a bluestone a few weeks ago while trying to ride over it, stupid MTB fall. it hurt like hell and i got a huge lump there - very sore. fine. but it hasn't gone away. it doesn't hurt anymore, although it's tender when i put pressure on it, but the lump is still big. i'm guessing i've bruised the bone? i know i should see a doc, but i'd rather be riding :D

foo on patrol

Re: big bruise on shin not going away

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

I would go and see to get a referral for xrays to be safe Jules!I fell hard against the combing rail on a trailer and it came up in a huge bruise (Hip) and a lump the size of saucer and it is still there 10yrs later and still sensitive. :(

No discernable damage from xrays but it is better to be safe than sorry. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:36 pm

lol, it was a bruise, and its going away, what is an X-ray going to keep him safe from??? Gawd some of you guys are soft, we have one guy attending the ER with a scratched hand at 1am, and now we are recommending x-raying a bruise!!!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 pm

The other possibility is a haemotoma - blood pooling in the tissues (essentially a big blood blister) inside the muscle fascia.

I had this happen after a "stupid mtb fall" last year. The treatment is to drain the blood and firmly bind the area with elastic adhesive strapping to prevent fluids re-entering the pocket while it heals.

Go see your GP. Mine wanted to send me to the ultrasound lab and have it drained while being observed under ultrasound, but I ended up doing it myself as I was sick of going to hospitals and the like for stupid mtb injuries. Removed about 7cc of blood and fluid with an insulin syringe, strapping it from below the knee down as I went, to make sure I got it all. Took roughly two weeks to heal sufficiently before I removed the strapping. I gained the information I needed by surreptitiously asking the GP about what to expect from the process and how long it would take to come good.

Now, while I was rigorous about hygeine and infection control, using copious amounts of rubbing alcohol and antiseptic to sterilise, I definitely took a risk doing so.

Others have got infections self-treating in this way (although, they used a scalpel instead of a small syringe, and may have left it much longer before treating), ending up in hospital for blood poisoning. I also had the advantage in that the area of pooling was relatively close to the skin and the boundaries were well defined from a digital (ie, with my fingers) examination.

If the diagnosis is haematoma, see if you can get the GP or their duty nurse to deal with it in their rooms.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Get some Arnica cream, it is an excellent treatment for bruising and haematoma.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Crittski wrote:lol, it was a bruise, and its going away, what is an X-ray going to keep him safe from??? Gawd some of you guys are soft, we have one guy attending the ER with a scratched hand at 1am, and now we are recommending x-raying a bruise!!!
And you can tell whether there is/is not any damage to the bone just by looking at the bruise I take it? :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 pm

thanks guys, or most of you anyway.

i forgot to mention, the (bruise) discoloration has disappeared, but what's left is a hard lump. not a bruisy lump, but it feels hard as bone. i'm thinking that's not normal for just a bruise. i'm not overly fussed at this point, but i will head to the doc.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Hey, go get an X-ray, geez, get an MRI, why not, "just to be safe". I wouldn't try to drain a 7mL haematoma over the shin. I would let the soft tissues heal, and then watch over weeks and months for any residual lump to resolve. I highly doubt that there has been any bony injury considering that the OP is continuing to walk/ride on it. WHat type of bony injury are you concerned about?

But there is zero value in an internet diagnosis, so go see your GP if you are worried about it.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:30 pm

had a similar thing happen to me but mine was a motorbike injury. came off going up a track and landed square on a rock with my shin. hurt but seemed fine. 3 days later i was in agony. could barely walk but was going on holiday with my mates for a week. by the end of the week it was unbearable so i went the docs. got sent for an xray all they got from that was a shadow and said it was bruised bone and to use a compression bandage on it or compression garment such as skins. was still sore for a few days after that but yeah. still got a decent lump there but doesnt hurt anymore. oh and for the record mine had a fair bit of swelling aswell
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?