Decent looking lever?

ghostpoet

Decent looking lever?

Postby ghostpoet » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Too old to ride brakeless, so running the clamp on Dia-Compe brake on the fork. Problem being the lever is hideous. Anyone got a tip for a decent looking lever?

drubie

Re: Decent looking lever?

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Flat bar, aero or traditional?

Aero:
Shimano still make a nice looking aero lever that isn't too expensive (the Sora R400), the Cane Creek SCR-5 is not bad. I'd agree the dia-compe is a bit low rent, cane creek is the same company but slightly better quality.

Flat bar:
Tektro fl-750?
http://www.this link is broken/tektro-fl750-fl ... ke-levers/ Slick looking lever for single speeds.

Traditional:
dia-compe gran compe
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... evers.html, velo orange have a few other choices that fit that kind of look.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 pm

I've got two of these on my single-speed, and am totally satisfied: attractive (in my opinion) and work great.

Edit: Thought I should mention, for reference, I've got them on either side of my stem on the flat part of my bullhorns.

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Like the Tektro and the above Dia Compe, but I am on Cinelli's with diameter of 26. So what are your bullhorns?

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Sorry, forgot to check back to the thread. My bullhorn's are origin 8 bullhorns - they're actually 26 in diametre iirc, and i've been able to squeeze the levers on without too much trouble.

RonK

Decent looking lever?

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:21 pm

sandberry wrote:Sorry, forgot to check back to the thread. My bullhorn's are origin 8 bullhorns - they're actually 26 in diametre iirc, and i've been able to squeeze the levers on without too much trouble.
26 in diameter handlebars? You must have enormous hands.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 pm

RonK wrote:
sandberry wrote:Sorry, forgot to check back to the thread. My bullhorn's are origin 8 bullhorns - they're actually 26 in diametre iirc, and i've been able to squeeze the levers on without too much trouble.
26 in diameter handlebars? You must have enormous hands.
Perhaps if they were 26 in. or 26"?
In any case, this only has an effect in the clamp area, where I've got them.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Just get on eBay and type in brake lever and take your pic. Pretty easy.

All depends on what sort of bars you have, whether ou need 22.2 clamp for BMX bars/risers, 26mm clamp for bullhorns/modern drops, or 31.8 for oversize cross top levers.

Then there are the barend TT-style lever options, as well as road style levers with hoods..

Just like everything else, levers are a personal thing.