Safe route to travel between Thornleigh and Hornsby

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Have recently moved to a new location at Thornleigh. Am looking to regular ride from where I am now to do the Bobbin Head and the Gorge ride.

Was wondering if anyone here could shade some lights on the safest way to get there and back. :)

Cheers,
LQU
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

rogan

Re: Safe route to travel between Thornleigh and Hornsby

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I assume you want to avoid PH Rd.

OK, well the obvious route to Hornsby is the "dash for cash" on the other side of the train line, using The Esplanade and Sefton Rd. You come out near Hornsby at Barker College.

The only other way is Comenara Parkway and Fox Valley Rd - which gets you up to Wahroonga.

Neither route is great at peak hour, but they are still rideable. They are much better than PH Rd at any time.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 pm

le_quiet_uno wrote:Hi all,

Have recently moved to a new location at Thornleigh. Am looking to regular ride from where I am now to do the Bobbin Head and the Gorge ride.

Was wondering if anyone here could shade some lights on the safest way to get there and back. :)

Cheers,
LQU
Where in Thornleigh are you, and which way do you usually do the Gorge/Bobbin head? Do you do Berowra Waters as well?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 am

rogan wrote:I assume you want to avoid PH Rd.

OK, well the obvious route to Hornsby is the "dash for cash" on the other side of the train line, using The Esplanade and Sefton Rd. You come out near Hornsby at Barker College.

The only other way is Comenara Parkway and Fox Valley Rd - which gets you up to Wahroonga.

Neither route is great at peak hour, but they are still rideable. They are much better than PH Rd at any time.
Hi Rogan,

Initially, I thought I'll give PH road a try after seeing a few cyclists on the road during early morning on the last weekends but never had the courage to compete with the cruise missiles on the road - trucks and semis.

Have also checked the Sefton road and thought it might be a safer option. It seems like there isnt much room on the return legs for the cars to overtake. Would that be an issue normally?

Will have to give Fox Valley Road a try. Maybe on the return leg?

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 am

Where's my manners?! Thanks for your tips Rogan! :)

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 am

queequeg wrote:
Where in Thornleigh are you, and which way do you usually do the Gorge/Bobbin head? Do you do Berowra Waters as well?[/quote]

Hi Queequeg,

Am just at the back of Thornleigh station. As I'm new to the area, am still driving to Turramurra to do Bobbin Head and the Gorge.

My normal loop is Bobbin Head to the bottom of the Gorge (feed the roosters / chickens) then head back up to Turramurra through Pacific Highway and Wahroonga shops.

Have done the Berowra Waters in the past but having been off the bike for about 2 years. Don't think I'm ready for that yet.

At the moment, am just averaging around 20km/h doing Bobbin Head / the Gorge. Probably too slow for your liking. :)

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:30 pm

If you just want to get to Turramurra, then I'd recommend the Comennara, Fox Valley then Pac Hwy.

The Comennary is ok up to Fox Valley Rd (but go no further.. very dicey after that).

Another alternative if you want to actually get to Hornsby is the Esplanade (which is fine), Duffy onto PH Rd; there's a bike path on PH Rd from Duffy Ave to the brick park (Dartford), then take Huddart/Denman/Unwin. Google st view shows the bike path.

You could always hop on a train to 'squith and take it from there if you have a real aversion to traffic.

duncan

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

le_quiet_uno wrote:
Hi Queequeg,

Am just at the back of Thornleigh station. As I'm new to the area, am still driving to Turramurra to do Bobbin Head and the Gorge.

My normal loop is Bobbin Head to the bottom of the Gorge (feed the roosters / chickens) then head back up to Turramurra through Pacific Highway and Wahroonga shops.

Have done the Berowra Waters in the past but having been off the bike for about 2 years. Don't think I'm ready for that yet.

At the moment, am just averaging around 20km/h doing Bobbin Head / the Gorge. Probably too slow for your liking. :)
I grew up in Thornleigh, down in the section off Sefton Rd. I used to ride to/from Hornsby on a BMX bike. You don't need to use Sefton Rd (as duncanm has pointed out). I am not sure if it is still there, but between Normanhurst Station & Edwards Rd there is a path that runs along the railway tracks. I used to go that way when riding to school (my school was on Unwin Rd - no, not Barker...)
I fyou are on the Esplande side of the station, I would just ride straight down there. The road is nice and wide from Thornleigh Station onwards. Take Chilvers Rd/Sefton Rd/Milson Pde. You can then either cross over the railway at Normanhurst St and follow Denman/Edwards/Unwin, or the other options are continue on Milson Rd/Malsbury Rd/College Cres, or just after the station (on Milson Pde), take a left into Woodbine, right into Warandoo, Left into Clarke Rd, Right into Neutral Rd then a little left/right dogleg into Fullers Ave and up to Pretoria Pde. You can then get onto the Highway and up to the Gorge.

I am living in Dural now (actually closer to Cherrybrook), and I do the three gorges starting from home. I just ride straight down New Line Rd/Galston Rd. I can then do the loop in either direction. One option for you is that if you are still driving to Turramurra, why not just drive to Hornsby. You could then do Berowra Waters + the Gorge and back to your car. If you are alredy climbing up the Mt Colah side of Bobbin Head then you can handle the climb out of Berowra Waters. That gives you an alternate two gorges, and as you get stronger you can start at Hornsby and do all three gorges in whatever order you like. The "easiest" is to do Galston then Berowra, then Bobbin Head, then cycle back via Wahroonga to Hornsby.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Queequeg and Duncan,

Many thanks for your tips!

Have tried Duncan's route this morning and have found it quite safe. Would be show the better this afternoon so she could ride to work. Will try Queequeg's route next week as it sounds a bit complex.

Queequeg, that's the plan. Starting training and build up base fitness. Then slowly move the post further and further away. Hope this will help me ride further! :)

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:47 am

Hopefully within a month that I'll be able to do 3 George's :)