Video Camera who uses one?

Pushy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:34 am

GraemeL wrote:
khendar wrote:So I stuck some OneWrap velcro around the 808 and its mount and took it for a spin today:

Much smoother. No wobbling at all. That puffing sound you hear is my supreme unfitness.

I'm thinking about getting some Sugru and making up a helmet mount for the camera, just for slightly different perspective.

I also noticed something slightly annoying. When the camera starts a new file there's a 2 second gap, which today just happened to occur when a van heading into a roundabout nearly didn't stop in time.
Looks a lot better :) The delay in recording is just something we have to put up with, the couple of seconds is needed to close off the file and start a new one.

Graeme
Have a read of this thread at RC Groups. I had my 808 flashed with the AVI firmware this eliminates the 2 sec delay.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

khendar

Postby khendar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:54 pm

master6 wrote:
master6 wrote:I have the External Power Pack for my 808 #16. The cable that came with it is sloppy at the connection to the Power Pack when charging, and the slightest movement interupts charging. I can use the USB cable that came with the camera, without this problem.
I have sent the following email to Eletopine 365, and will let you know the result.
Apart from this problem, I am very happy with the power pack.

Email sent:-

I have received the External Power Pack for my 808 #16 camera. The cable for the pack is not a tight fit in the power pack, and when I connect it to charge, any slight movement will interupt the the charging. I then move it a little, and charging starts again. I have tried the USB cable that came with the camera, and it fits more tightly into the power pack, and I can move it on my desk while charging, and it does not cause a problem. I need two cables so that I can charge both my camera and power pack at the same time.
The reply from eletopine365 was prompt:-

"Dear friend,

Thanks for your message. Sorry to hear that. The cables with the ups charger is universial, so it may be not as good as the our special cable for #16 camera. Like my own universial usb cable, it is not as good as the special cable for my Nokia mobile phone. Like many digitial device, it will be better to charge the ups charger frist, then you can take the ups charger to charge the camera when you want to use our #16 camera. Or it may hurt the ups charger, like the mobile phone, it may hurt the phone if you use it while charging.

Thanks much for your kindly understanding. Any other confusion, please kindly advise by return. Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Mandy"

This is not the reply I expected. I dont care whether something is as good as , not as good as, better, or worse. I just want something that works satisfactorily, and the cable supplied with the External Battery Pack is not satisfactory in my opinion. I expected to be supplied with a cable that works, if necessary, another one like the one that came with the camera. I want to be able to charge both the camera battery, and the external battery at the same time, as the process is time consuming, and surely I will get longer recording time by having both batteries fully charged.
USB Mini-B cables are about $1 on ebay. I probably have half a dozen lying around as I frequently lose them.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm

khendar wrote:USB Mini-B cables are about $1 on ebay. I probably have half a dozen lying around as I frequently lose them.
Thanks for your advice. I have not pursued the matter as I suspected that they would be inexpensive.
I was surprised that a seller would find some justification for selling something of less than satisfactory quality, however I will have no problem putting it into the "who cares File". I am a regular puchaser of a wide variety of goods on Ebay, however I have been reluctant to buy a usb cable because I might buy something as crappy as the cable in question, and it seems that usb cables have a range of connectors on the end that fits the camera. A google search of your suggested "mini-B" turned up a variety of cables, so I will probably stick to my plan of visiting a local store. The closest is 25km away, and I have not had reason to go that way yet.

In summary, surprised at the attitude, but not angry.

Now to another question, out of curiosity only. The card that comes with the 808#16 battery pack shows a light called "Currency detec function". I guess that this light is to indicate when current is flowing from the battery pack to the camera battery, however the light never comes "on". (except when using switch to operate as a torch). What am I misunderstanding here?

khendar

Postby khendar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 pm

master6 wrote:
khendar wrote:USB Mini-B cables are about $1 on ebay. I probably have half a dozen lying around as I frequently lose them.
Thanks for your advice. I have not pursued the matter as I suspected that they would be inexpensive.
I was surprised that a seller would find some justification for selling something of less than satisfactory quality, however I will have no problem putting it into the "who cares File". I am a regular puchaser of a wide variety of goods on Ebay, however I have been reluctant to buy a usb cable because I might buy something as crappy as the cable in question, and it seems that usb cables have a range of connectors on the end that fits the camera. A google search of your suggested "mini-B" turned up a variety of cables, so I will probably stick to my plan of visiting a local store. The closest is 25km away, and I have not had reason to go that way yet.
For future reference:

Left to Right: Micro-B plug, a non-USB proprietary plug, Mini-B plug (5-pin), Standard-A socket, Standard-A plug, Standard-B plug. The #16 camera takes a Mini-B, whereas Micro-B is now the standard for phones etc. Ebay can be tricky for these I agree because often they get mislabeled, and some electronics store employees often don't know the difference.

Unko

Postby Unko » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm

How do you change res.? as mine isnt very clear and pixely. film in low light.

Will it be differnt in day light?

cheers unko

FIXED Works nicely in daylight
Last edited by Unko on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
09 Scott CR1 Team (Died)
Rodman 256
Cell Fxie

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 am

Lesson learnt today, as I've only had my camera for a couple of weeks.

DON'T ACCIDENTLY TURN ON THE CAMERA WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN TO CHARGE UP.

I've got several hours of footage of the back of my computer, the memory card filled up, and the unit then turned off. I didn't notice this until I got home and checked the footage, shame as I would have got footage of an illegal non-cycling issue.

For the statistics of purchased, I went with '#11 HD Lens Car Keychain Video Camera Recorder Jumbo V3' from e-bay. Like the unit, but wished it had a flashing indicator or similar to show when it is recording. This unit you turn on, little led lights up, your start recording and led light goes off, as it does when you turn the unit off. You can't actually tell when it is recording.

I also can't work out how to set the date/time. Luckily the date/time isn't on the footage, but the date of the file produced is from 2010, so makes a little harder when looking later for an item.

Unko

Postby Unko » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 am

An update:

Test 1 was camera set up like this

Here is a quick video if it
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwsGaiWx ... tube_gdata[/youtube]
09 Scott CR1 Team (Died)
Rodman 256
Cell Fxie

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:13 pm

rolandp wrote: I also can't work out how to set the date/time. Luckily the date/time isn't on the footage, but the date of the file produced is from 2010, so makes a little harder when looking later for an item.
1. Create a plain text file (no font formatting) with just a single text line in the format "year-month-day hour:minutes:seconds" in 24 hour format like this: 2010-12-29 13:34:45

2. Save the file with the name "TIMESET.TXT" and copy it to the flash card root directory (the one that first appears when the card is recognized by the computer). This can be done with an external card reader or with the camera connected to the computer as a USB removable drive.

3. With the card in the camera and the camera unplugged from the computer, turn on the camera. The camera will then read the file, set the date and time, and erase the file from the flash card automatically.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

The GoPros in this thread look pretty ugly when mounted to the bike. The form factor of the Contour is better suited to a bike mount. I picked up a second-hand Contour HD on ebay for $150 which I was able to mount unobtrusively, slung under the stem. At a casual glance you would probably think it was a headlight or something.

I made up a mount with a small carved block of wood cable-tied under the stem and a Bunnings metal bracket to take the tripod-mount adaptor for the camera, which lies on its side with the lens then rotated 90 degrees to get the picture correct. A bit of foam from the local craft store seems to give about the right amount of damping and the videos are really smooth.

The tripod adaptor holds the camera via the rails on both sides. I found this was a big improvement over the flat surface camera mount which only holds the camera on one side and is not really steady enough. The camera can be quickly removed from the mount using the knurled nut into the tripod adaptor.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 pm

scirocco wrote:I picked up a second-hand Contour HD on ebay for $150 which I was able to mount unobtrusively, slung under the stem. At a casual glance you would probably think it was a headlight or something.
Nice mounting position. Would love to see more photos of your mount.

Andrew
Andrew

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:Nice mounting position. Would love to see more photos of your mount.
No problem. The bracket is screwed into the wooden block at the edges where it's thickest. The block looks quite chunky but in fact most of it is cut away to follow the profile of the stem. I used jarrah, as a first trial using with pine was too weak.

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Today was bike day was supposed to be doing 1 hour on mudguards I then thought just do everything...
Well 4 hours later...
Have not mounted it yet or tested it but pressing the buttons will be interesting if its in a tic tac box or pressing them and putting it in...
Hopping it does not press more buttons in the process...
Battery will be under the seat jumbo tic tac box will not fit... dont think it will get to wet...
Any one tried switching the standard jumbo battery with a phone one?

khendar

Postby khendar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 pm

I had a shower brainwave this morning.

I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting. At the moment I have it velcroed to a reflector mount with another strip of onewrap around it to secure it. I realised that sitting right next to it is a rubber torch mount which I'm using for my Ultrafire light:
http://dx.com/universal-adjustable-bicy ... 71?item=18

The rubber is very flexible and the sides of it can be pushed almost flat. The 808 #16 can be pressed hard into the groove and then velcro-strapped in place.

I didn't get a chance to try it out this morning but I shall give it a go tonight and take photos :)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

newbikeorupgrade wrote:Today was bike day was supposed to be doing 1 hour on mudguards I then thought just do everything...
Well 4 hours later...
Have not mounted it yet or tested it but pressing the buttons will be interesting if its in a tic tac box or pressing them and putting it in...
Hopping it does not press more buttons in the process...
Battery will be under the seat jumbo tic tac box will not fit... dont think it will get to wet...
Any one tried switching the standard jumbo battery with a phone one?

is that an 808 in a tic tac box?

what is the cylindrical jigger strapped to the seat stay?

fingy

Postby fingy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 pm

khendar wrote:I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting
for $4 you can have one of these delivered,mine arrived today :)
the ebay seller is hxelepro360

RonK

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:27 am

Anyone in Brisbane who wants an unused 808#16?

Or a used once Kaiser Baas Sports Camera?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

khendar

Postby khendar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm

fingy wrote:
khendar wrote:I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting
for $4 you can have one of these delivered,mine arrived today :)
the ebay seller is hxelepro360
Interesting. I can't see how it mounts to the bike...do you have photos of it installed ?

khendar

Postby khendar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm

RonK wrote:Anyone in Brisbane who wants an unused 808#16?

I'd consider getting another #16 for a rear camera, though the wife might object :( How much are you asking ? Also I'm in Adelaide :|

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

khendar wrote: I can't see how it mounts to the bike

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 pm

I am in Brisbane how much for the 808?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

khendar wrote:

I'd consider getting another #16 for a rear camera, though the wife might object :( How much are you asking ? Also I'm in Adelaide :|
Sorry khendar - it's not worth enough money to be worth the effort of going to the PO.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:22 pm

fingy wrote:

I am in Brisbane how much for the 808?
It cost $50.55 with an 8gb card, half-price, you pick up from my CBD address. PM me for the details if you want it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 am

GraemeL wrote:
rolandp wrote: I also can't work out how to set the date/time. Luckily the date/time isn't on the footage, but the date of the file produced is from 2010, so makes a little harder when looking later for an item.
1. Create a plain text file (no font formatting) with just a single text line in the format "year-month-day hour:minutes:seconds" in 24 hour format like this: 2010-12-29 13:34:45

2. Save the file with the name "TIMESET.TXT" and copy it to the flash card root directory (the one that first appears when the card is recognized by the computer). This can be done with an external card reader or with the camera connected to the computer as a USB removable drive.

3. With the card in the camera and the camera unplugged from the computer, turn on the camera. The camera will then read the file, set the date and time, and erase the file from the flash card automatically.

Graeme
Graeme, thanks for providing, did the trick.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 am

fingy wrote:
khendar wrote: I can't see how it mounts to the bike
I bought two of these a while back, they work very well and I think they are worth the few dollars.

When I get time I will post a short video.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am

rolandp wrote:
Graeme, thanks for providing, did the trick.
Your welcome :)

Graeme