Postby John Lewis » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Recycling to the extreme?
One way to do it I guess.
John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlqHb7s ... re=related

Meditator

Re: Home brew "Camp Kitchen"

Postby Meditator » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Very commendable. Only thing missing is a knife.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Wow that was awesome. I doubt that I would ever have the time and knowledge to put something like that together but it was very impressive, especially how it all packed away into it's self.

Thanks for sharing that.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't need it as I have a Trangia. I was fascinated though by the simplicity and cheapness.
I made a coke can stove with simmer ring, stand and windscreen some years back and it worked very well and was ultra light. Too light perhaps and I don't know how it would have stood up to constant use.

There are just so many good ideas out there from racks and bags through to this one. I even have a PDF somewhere of various tarp tents to make. If you had to you could go off touring very cheaply indeed.

Oh, and don't forget the knife. :)

John

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:55 am

Nice, but....

I have a number of different cooking systems that ALL work. I paid good money for them and the neat thing is that the SVEA 123 works with the SIGG pots, and the MSR Dragonfly works with the ... and so does the... What is the big deal? Are we destitute or are we chintzy and innovative?

I would rather be touring with decent equipment instead of constantly trying to find a cheap alternative and then using it... IMHO, I spend money to travel. IF you cannot, then stay home and eat pork & beans outta a can... and hopefully (in the future) YOU will be able to travel with decent equipment and with decent "sustenance". Been there, done that - and at the age of 64 (almost) I honestly say "NO MORE"!

Let us all not lose sight of why we travel. I sincerely hope it is NOT TO SAVE MONEY.
Just MHO :D