Logan Road - best road position

Sauce

Logan Road - best road position

Postby Sauce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

On the weekends I try to get out to the city for a river loop (and maybe head up Mt Coot-tha if I'm feeling up for it). I've only been cycling for a few months and typically avoid high traffic roads but unfortunately the only way to get to the bikeway and into the city from my house requires me to ride along Logan Road which is 80km/h zoned. It is 2 lanes both ways so technically I am allowed to claim an entire lane, but I wouldn't be making many friends in doing so.

Two questions:
  1. What default position should I take riding on Logan Road? Left side of the shoulder? Middle of the left-most lane? (eep!)
  2. When continuing through past a slip-lane, do I ride the line between the lanes? left side of the left-most lane? right side of the slip lane?
This is the section I ride http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Logan ... .715,0.008

marinmomma

Re: Logan Road - best road position

Postby marinmomma » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm

The shoulder along that stretch isn't too bad imo, and I'd rather ride it that trying to claim a lane...but that's me!

When you get down past Levington Rd just before where the Gateway overpass is cross the road and use the bikepath.....it's new, cuts out the messy intersections of Gaskill/Logan and Padstow/Miles Platting/Logan Rd and drops you out ready to cross Logan Rd to access the rest of the V1, easy as!

hth
Lisa

Sauce

Postby Sauce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 pm

marinmomma wrote:The shoulder along that stretch isn't too bad imo, and I'd rather ride it that trying to claim a lane...but that's me!

When you get down past Levington Rd just before where the Gateway overpass is cross the road and use the bikepath.....it's new, cuts out the messy intersections of Gaskill/Logan and Padstow/Miles Platting/Logan Rd and drops you out ready to cross Logan Rd to access the rest of the V1, easy as!

hth
Excellent suggestion, I'll give it a try. Those intersections with the 50m+ slip lanes are the areas I'm usually concerned about. Cutting them out will make a huge difference.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Glad to help.
Lisa

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 am

What time do you leave. Logan Road is hardly busy on a Sunday morning before 6 and before 4 it is deserted. It is very safe when I have used it, and it is a very enjoyable ride. As marinmomma said, the V1 is a big help
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:55 pm

dfc. wrote:What time do you leave. Logan Road is hardly busy on a Sunday morning before 6 and before 4 it is deserted. It is very safe when I have used it, and it is a very enjoyable ride. As marinmomma said, the V1 is a big help

Missed that the OP said on a Sunday :oops: ...if you're early enough, before 7-8am, on a Sunday the road is fine...I claim the land on approach to the major intersections then scoot over to the shoulder again...there's always some Commodore driving bogan who insists on driving in the left lane despite there being 1-2 other lanes completely free of traffic at 5am :roll:

The V1 has a shorter hill going up to Miles Platting Rd compared to staying on Logan Rd up past the Glen :wink:
Lisa

Sauce

Postby Sauce » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I did not specify Sunday, but I agree, early morning Saturday is hardly busy.

Usually I just claim the lane if there is no traffic, but I decided to hit the snooze button the other day and didn't get out there until 11:30am, which is why I created this thread.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 am

When I head to Mt Coot-tha I go down Logan Road to Ridge Street at Greenslopes, then over through Annerley Junction and along Annerley Rd and take the bridge over to UQ and cut through Toowong via Burns RD and head to Mt Coot-tha that way. Just a different option.

Oh, and when I ride Logan Road, I usually just ride on the left of the left lane. Some times I'll claim the lane at Red lights, but it depends on the situation. I usually ride it between 10am and Midday.