Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:13 pm

rolandp wrote:I also can't work out how to set the date/time. Luckily the date/time isn't on the footage, but the date of the file produced is from 2010, so makes a little harder when looking later for an item.

1. Create a plain text file (no font formatting) with just a single text line in the format "year-month-day hour:minutes:seconds" in 24 hour format like this: 2010-12-29 13:34:45

2. Save the file with the name "TIMESET.TXT" and copy it to the flash card root directory (the one that first appears when the card is recognized by the computer). This can be done with an external card reader or with the camera connected to the computer as a USB removable drive.

3. With the card in the camera and the camera unplugged from the computer, turn on the camera. The camera will then read the file, set the date and time, and erase the file from the flash card automatically.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

by BNA » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

BNA

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

The GoPros in this thread look pretty ugly when mounted to the bike. The form factor of the Contour is better suited to a bike mount. I picked up a second-hand Contour HD on ebay for $150 which I was able to mount unobtrusively, slung under the stem. At a casual glance you would probably think it was a headlight or something.

I made up a mount with a small carved block of wood cable-tied under the stem and a Bunnings metal bracket to take the tripod-mount adaptor for the camera, which lies on its side with the lens then rotated 90 degrees to get the picture correct. A bit of foam from the local craft store seems to give about the right amount of damping and the videos are really smooth.

The tripod adaptor holds the camera via the rails on both sides. I found this was a big improvement over the flat surface camera mount which only holds the camera on one side and is not really steady enough. The camera can be quickly removed from the mount using the knurled nut into the tripod adaptor.

scirocco

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 pm

scirocco wrote:I picked up a second-hand Contour HD on ebay for $150 which I was able to mount unobtrusively, slung under the stem. At a casual glance you would probably think it was a headlight or something.

Nice mounting position. Would love to see more photos of your mount.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby scirocco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:Nice mounting position. Would love to see more photos of your mount.

No problem. The bracket is screwed into the wooden block at the edges where it's thickest. The block looks quite chunky but in fact most of it is cut away to follow the profile of the stem. I used jarrah, as a first trial using with pine was too weak.

scirocco

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Today was bike day was supposed to be doing 1 hour on mudguards I then thought just do everything...
Well 4 hours later...
Have not mounted it yet or tested it but pressing the buttons will be interesting if its in a tic tac box or pressing them and putting it in...
Hopping it does not press more buttons in the process...
Battery will be under the seat jumbo tic tac box will not fit... dont think it will get to wet...
Any one tried switching the standard jumbo battery with a phone one?

newbikeorupgrade

Postby khendar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 pm

I had a shower brainwave this morning.

I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting. At the moment I have it velcroed to a reflector mount with another strip of onewrap around it to secure it. I realised that sitting right next to it is a rubber torch mount which I'm using for my Ultrafire light:
http://dx.com/universal-adjustable-bicy ... 71?item=18

The rubber is very flexible and the sides of it can be pushed almost flat. The 808 #16 can be pressed hard into the groove and then velcro-strapped in place.

I didn't get a chance to try it out this morning but I shall give it a go tonight and take photos :)
khendar

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

newbikeorupgrade wrote:Today was bike day was supposed to be doing 1 hour on mudguards I then thought just do everything...
Well 4 hours later...
Have not mounted it yet or tested it but pressing the buttons will be interesting if its in a tic tac box or pressing them and putting it in...
Hopping it does not press more buttons in the process...
Battery will be under the seat jumbo tic tac box will not fit... dont think it will get to wet...
Any one tried switching the standard jumbo battery with a phone one?

is that an 808 in a tic tac box?

what is the cylindrical jigger strapped to the seat stay?
master6

Postby fingy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 pm

khendar wrote:I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting

for $4 you can have one of these delivered,mine arrived today :)
the ebay seller is hxelepro360
fingy

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:27 am

Anyone in Brisbane who wants an unused 808#16?

Or a used once Kaiser Baas Sports Camera?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby khendar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm

fingy wrote:
khendar wrote:I've struggled with the 808 #16 mounting

for $4 you can have one of these delivered,mine arrived today :)
the ebay seller is hxelepro360

Interesting. I can't see how it mounts to the bike...do you have photos of it installed ?
khendar

Postby khendar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm

RonK wrote:Anyone in Brisbane who wants an unused 808#16?

I'd consider getting another #16 for a rear camera, though the wife might object :( How much are you asking ? Also I'm in Adelaide :|
khendar

Postby fingy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

khendar wrote: I can't see how it mounts to the bike

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 pm

I am in Brisbane how much for the 808?
fingy

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

khendar wrote:

I'd consider getting another #16 for a rear camera, though the wife might object :( How much are you asking ? Also I'm in Adelaide :|

Sorry khendar - it's not worth enough money to be worth the effort of going to the PO.
RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:22 pm

fingy wrote:

I am in Brisbane how much for the 808?

It cost $50.55 with an 8gb card, half-price, you pick up from my CBD address. PM me for the details if you want it.
RonK

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 am

GraemeL wrote:
rolandp wrote:I also can't work out how to set the date/time. Luckily the date/time isn't on the footage, but the date of the file produced is from 2010, so makes a little harder when looking later for an item.

1. Create a plain text file (no font formatting) with just a single text line in the format "year-month-day hour:minutes:seconds" in 24 hour format like this: 2010-12-29 13:34:45

2. Save the file with the name "TIMESET.TXT" and copy it to the flash card root directory (the one that first appears when the card is recognized by the computer). This can be done with an external card reader or with the camera connected to the computer as a USB removable drive.

3. With the card in the camera and the camera unplugged from the computer, turn on the camera. The camera will then read the file, set the date and time, and erase the file from the flash card automatically.

Graeme

Graeme, thanks for providing, did the trick.
rolandp

Postby GraemeL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 am

fingy wrote:
khendar wrote: I can't see how it mounts to the bike

I bought two of these a while back, they work very well and I think they are worth the few dollars.

When I get time I will post a short video.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am

rolandp wrote:
Graeme, thanks for providing, did the trick.

Your welcome :)

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby johnm_oz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:Just bought a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170804552039 ... 1497.l2649

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM

Let us know what they arelike when you get them.

Graeme

They're rather better than I thought they'd be, I'll get a couple of photos up in a while. A bit chunky, and not really rigid enough to use unmodified with the Otek's rather tall formfactor, but I can see a couple of relatively simple ways to modify to reduce the height and increase the rigidity and support. The biggest downfall is the handlebar clamps don't really adjust that much, about 23 to 25mm is the limit, so the taped bars of the roady are out of range. Couple of good strong rubber bands will sort that tho.

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Crittski wrote:I already have a ContourGPS and picked up a ContourRoam second hand for half the new price, so will have front and rear facing cameras for my commute. Just need one on the helmet now (I don't like the weight of the contour on the helmet, it would be great to find a really light camera for the helmet...)

Since I ride with Ayups on my helmet, I find the GoPro with the Chesty chest mount unobtrusive.
trailgumby

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm

I have 2 contour roam HD cams.
Use them for track days.
Have helmet mounts (mtb/BMX) and flat mounts.
Easy operation and waterproof.
wurtulla wabbit

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Just an update on the 16GB SansDisck Ultra micro SDHC card for the ContourGPS - I had feedback from contour tech support that the Ultra model is NOT COMPATIBLE. I purchased it with an standard SD adapter and it was flawless with the GoPro, however having already purchased a 16GB card for this, it turns out to be waste of money. I am pretty annoyed as the manual stated that SDHC 16GB cards are compatible and should have somewhere mentioned that this excludes the SansDisk Ultra model. Although I did everything right, I have to sit on the cost of this card.

For interest, some feedback on the ContourGPS verses GoPro Hero.

As the ContourGPS was on loan and had to be returned in perfect condition, I was reliant on the mounts and couldn't create custom mounts or improve the mounts to elimate vibration. As a result the footage was poor - lots of rolling shutter. I like the physical on/off switch for filming on the Contour, though this also makes it hard to mount well. Also, the on/off switch for the camera make it compatible with the GoPro (operating while riding - long trips to save battery) was tough. On this camera, the wireless card to hookup with an iphone is, I think, a must have - to check out the alignment of the shot.

The GoPro, despite being bulky was actually easier to mount using cable ties, blue tack and gaffe for a really solid mount - as a result the video was excellent and I have a feeling that the video was crisper anyway. I custom drilled one of the fittings so I could use a alan key bolt mounts (eg. water bottle or pannier mount positions) and then use cable ties for a really solid mount. The waterproof case was good for peace of mind while riding and the battery life was great. Operating it, turning on and (if need be) changing modes was annoying. I spotted a wifi remote control due in (US) summer 2012 which is coupled with the BacPac screen and will be a must-have. Not only to easily check what is being filmed, also to start recording remotely.
2015 BNA Cycling Kit Very Awesome and Coming Soon!
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby csy75 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm

i am about to pull the trigger and upgrade to a go pro hero 2 camera from the very reliable otek vds 550...

I had a recent limo driver experience here and want a new front facing camera (otek to go backwards facing ).

the bacpack on the gopro looks great...
csy75

Postby CommuRider » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 pm

GoPro's on twitter!

https://twitter.com/#!/GoPro

and they tweet vids :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

GraemeL wrote:I bought two of these a while back, they work very well and I think they are worth the few dollars.

Based on that recommendation ... two ordered :)

Andrew
Aushiker

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion