Video Camera who uses one?

johnm_oz

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby johnm_oz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:Just bought a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170804552039 ... 1497.l2649

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM
Let us know what they arelike when you get them.

Graeme
They're rather better than I thought they'd be, I'll get a couple of photos up in a while. A bit chunky, and not really rigid enough to use unmodified with the Otek's rather tall formfactor, but I can see a couple of relatively simple ways to modify to reduce the height and increase the rigidity and support. The biggest downfall is the handlebar clamps don't really adjust that much, about 23 to 25mm is the limit, so the taped bars of the roady are out of range. Couple of good strong rubber bands will sort that tho.

Cheers
JM

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Crittski wrote:I already have a ContourGPS and picked up a ContourRoam second hand for half the new price, so will have front and rear facing cameras for my commute. Just need one on the helmet now (I don't like the weight of the contour on the helmet, it would be great to find a really light camera for the helmet...)
Since I ride with Ayups on my helmet, I find the GoPro with the Chesty chest mount unobtrusive.

wurtulla wabbit

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm

I have 2 contour roam HD cams.
Use them for track days.
Have helmet mounts (mtb/BMX) and flat mounts.
Easy operation and waterproof.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Just an update on the 16GB SansDisck Ultra micro SDHC card for the ContourGPS - I had feedback from contour tech support that the Ultra model is NOT COMPATIBLE. I purchased it with an standard SD adapter and it was flawless with the GoPro, however having already purchased a 16GB card for this, it turns out to be waste of money. I am pretty annoyed as the manual stated that SDHC 16GB cards are compatible and should have somewhere mentioned that this excludes the SansDisk Ultra model. Although I did everything right, I have to sit on the cost of this card.

For interest, some feedback on the ContourGPS verses GoPro Hero.

As the ContourGPS was on loan and had to be returned in perfect condition, I was reliant on the mounts and couldn't create custom mounts or improve the mounts to elimate vibration. As a result the footage was poor - lots of rolling shutter. I like the physical on/off switch for filming on the Contour, though this also makes it hard to mount well. Also, the on/off switch for the camera make it compatible with the GoPro (operating while riding - long trips to save battery) was tough. On this camera, the wireless card to hookup with an iphone is, I think, a must have - to check out the alignment of the shot.

The GoPro, despite being bulky was actually easier to mount using cable ties, blue tack and gaffe for a really solid mount - as a result the video was excellent and I have a feeling that the video was crisper anyway. I custom drilled one of the fittings so I could use a alan key bolt mounts (eg. water bottle or pannier mount positions) and then use cable ties for a really solid mount. The waterproof case was good for peace of mind while riding and the battery life was great. Operating it, turning on and (if need be) changing modes was annoying. I spotted a wifi remote control due in (US) summer 2012 which is coupled with the BacPac screen and will be a must-have. Not only to easily check what is being filmed, also to start recording remotely.
Cycling is in my BNA

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm

i am about to pull the trigger and upgrade to a go pro hero 2 camera from the very reliable otek vds 550...

I had a recent limo driver experience here and want a new front facing camera (otek to go backwards facing ).

the bacpack on the gopro looks great...

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 pm

GoPro's on twitter!

https://twitter.com/#!/GoPro

and they tweet vids :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

GraemeL wrote:I bought two of these a while back, they work very well and I think they are worth the few dollars.
Based on that recommendation ... two ordered :)

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
GraemeL wrote:I bought two of these a while back, they work very well and I think they are worth the few dollars.
Based on that recommendation ... two ordered :)

Andrew
They work quite rather well and it helps that the camera weighs nothing.

Here is some footage of it in use

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eurh_X_u ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 pm

For my GoPro HERO I needed to improve the mount and dramatically improved the stability.

Original mount on the stem with a sticky pad, bluetac jammed on the left / right side to better fit the contours of the stem and a cable tie. Even with a cabe tie over the camera and case, vibration was getting through. In what will be an ongoing process (as I will be using different mounting positions) I have improved the video quality adding some bartape underneath which significantly has improved dampening.

Next challenge is condensation that builds in early morning rides. It builds directly on the inside lense (of the case) and notice that the GoPro fix are two strips and other tricks are anti-fog on the inside. Any tips for preventing raindrops from forming on the outside? The surfer trick of licking the lense make not work from riding, though I am willing to try.
Cycling is in my BNA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun May 06, 2012 3:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:For my GoPro HERO I needed to improve the mount and dramatically improved the stability.

Original mount on the stem with a sticky pad, bluetac jammed on the left / right side to better fit the contours of the stem and a cable tie. Even with a cabe tie over the camera and case, vibration was getting through. In what will be an ongoing process (as I will be using different mounting positions) I have improved the video quality adding some bartape underneath which significantly has improved dampening.
As far as mounts go, I really like the Quick Release Mount that I made a few weeks ago, It is cheap to make, is rock solid and frees up the real estate on your bars.

If you don't have the Tripod Mount, you could just fix a small piece of wood to the L bracket as a platform and use a GoPro adhesive mount instead.

This can be mounted to the front wheel quick release or rear.

AUbicycles wrote: Next challenge is condensation that builds in early morning rides. It builds directly on the inside lense (of the case) and notice that the GoPro fix are two strips and other tricks are anti-fog on the inside. Any tips for preventing raindrops from forming on the outside? The surfer trick of licking the lense make not work from riding, though I am willing to try.
It is recommended that before you use the camera, you open the case and let cold air from an aircon blow into it for 2 mins, either from the aircon in your house or car. Close the case while aircon is blowing onto it and never open the case outside.
Put small strips of tissue in the case with the camera, this will help prevent fogging, or you can also get the anti fog strips, which by all accounts work very well. For water drops, use Rain-x http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/rain_x

Graeme

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. On the mounts you made (saw the lovely photos when you first posted) is this a rock solid mount?

Are you getting any extra vibration that you feel needs to be dampened? I am finding front mounted positions to add more vibration from the forks whereas rear mounted positions seem to sit better and provide more stable video.

Will look into the anti fog options. I avtually tried the lick trick today and while it works, the effect on a bike is limited with the oncoming wind, and impractical to lick while you ride :)
Cycling is in my BNA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun May 06, 2012 11:33 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks for the feedback. On the mounts you made (saw the lovely photos when you first posted) is this a rock solid mount?

Are you getting any extra vibration that you feel needs to be dampened? I am finding front mounted positions to add more vibration from the forks whereas rear mounted positions seem to sit better and provide more stable video.

Will look into the anti fog options. I avtually tried the lick trick today and while it works, the effect on a bike is limited with the oncoming wind, and impractical to lick while you ride :)
You can also use some apple...Cut an apple in pieces and use them to wipe over the lens.

The mount is solid, as you can see in the pics, I reversed an L bracket, this makes it rock solid.

It doesn't matter what mount you use, DIY or brand name, the mount itself has to be absolutely tight with no movement, any slight movement is amplified as it travels to the lens. Again, regardless of what mount you use you will need to use something between the mount and bike. But be aware that if it is too thick it introduces vibrations instead of eliminating them. I find a piece of old bike tube works wonders, two TIGHT wraps is plenty.

A GoPro Tripod mount comes in REALLY handy, and can be placed just about anywhere on the bike using some hose clamps and either an L Bracket or flat piece of metal, a nut and bolt and some old bike tube.

If you want some DIY ideas using GoPro adhesive mounts...

Quick Release

Wood helps to dampen vibration, you can use a small piece of wood 1cm thick, as your platform for the GoPro and mount a GoPro adhesive mount to it. You could use this on the quick release either front or rear using the method in the photo's.

Stem
Using a small flat piece of metal approx 8cm l x 1.5cm w, two hose clamps to fit the stem, one small piece of wood the same width and length as the GoPro flat adhesive mount and old bike tube.

Handle Bars

Same as above but smaller hose clamps, you can have it on the top or hang it under the bars.

Rear Seat Stay
Same as Stem but use a small L Bracket.

Graeme

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Currently looking at some aftermarket mounts.

And feedback on the Hair Dryer... works a treat. A minute or so on cool and then pop in the camera and a little tissue, no more condensation. Now it hasn't been quite as cold this week though it is having a noted effect.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Contour GPS vs Hero 2
Battery on Hero 2 kills Contour GPS.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 am

Agree... GoPro Hero (1) as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

RonK wrote:Anyone in Brisbane who wants an unused 808#16?

Or a used once Kaiser Baas Sports Camera?
I know it has been awhile since you posted this but do still the Kaiser Baas sports Camera? :)

Thanks Coyote.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Oregon Scientific ATC 9K on Catch of the Day now. You may have to subscribe to see it.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfi ... mpaign=sos

Reviews put it in the same class as the Contour and Go-Pro but it comes bundled with GPS, G sensor and 16G card for $259.

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2010/08/ ... ra-review/

I'll report back when it arrives...

Cheers
JM

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon May 21, 2012 7:35 am

johnm_oz wrote:Oregon Scientific ATC 9K on Catch of the Day now. You may have to subscribe to see it.

Reviews put it in the same class as the Contour and Go-Pro but it comes bundled with GPS, G sensor and 16G card for $259.

Cheers
JM
It looks the goods on paper, although the recording time is only 1.5 hrs. I would like to know what the mounting options are like as well.

Graeme

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:Oregon Scientific ATC 9K on Catch of the Day now. You may have to subscribe to see it.

Cheers
JM
It looks the goods on paper, although the recording time is only 1.5 hrs. I would like to know what the mounting options are like as well.

Graeme
Yeh, I'm hoping to be able to use some sort of supplementary battery if I need to extend the time. According to CooD it comes with Superlock, helmet straps and mounts to suit, a handlebar mount and a tripod mount and is supposed to be compatible with Go-Pro mounting systems.

Built in GPS and G sensor appeals to me.

Cheers
JM

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 am

johnm_oz wrote: Yeh, I'm hoping to be able to use some sort of supplementary battery if I need to extend the time. According to CooD it comes with Superlock, helmet straps and mounts to suit, a handlebar mount and a tripod mount and is supposed to be compatible with Go-Pro mounting systems.

Cheers
JM
Being able to use GoPro mounts would be a very good selling point as well. I wonder what the battery use is like with GPS enabled?
How long before you get it?

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon May 21, 2012 10:05 am

It seems the GPS module is an optional extra and is not standard.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 am

Doggy view, now I know how my dog sees the world :)

We went for a ride yesterday and I have put together some footage of my DIY Quick Release mount in action on slightly different surfaces.

Graeme

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 am

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote: Yeh, I'm hoping to be able to use some sort of supplementary battery if I need to extend the time. According to CooD it comes with Superlock, helmet straps and mounts to suit, a handlebar mount and a tripod mount and is supposed to be compatible with Go-Pro mounting systems.

Cheers
JM
Being able to use GoPro mounts would be a very good selling point as well. I wonder what the battery use is like with GPS enabled?
How long before you get it?

It seems the GPS module is an optional extra and is not standard.

Graeme
IME from Cood about 10 days to 2 weeks. Yeh I assume the GPS'll severely limit the battery life, that's why I'm hoping to be able to use an extension powersource.

The CooD package is advertised as being bundled with the GPS module and a 16G card. If it doesn't come with them it'll go back...

Love the dog's eye view, now I know why legs hold such a fascination for them, that's about all they see!

I'll be replicating your QR bracket now so I can use the Otek as a rear camera.

Cheers
JM

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 pm

GoPro stuff on special at Cell if anyone is interested.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Lefty76

Postby Lefty76 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 pm

I went as cheap as possible, and bought one of these for $35:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-0-mega-p ... slot-37717

Here's the result (with some quick editing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ybfpyb91c