first fixie build!

mk2grimace

first fixie build!

Postby mk2grimace » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Gday all, well i'm well on the way to getting my first fixie/ss built, need something to get fit on and dont wanna leave my good mtb at work to get stolen....

$20 ebay jobby, repco traveller. thought she would be a good thing to clean up and ride-then found the fixie pics thread. sooo much cool stuff.

this is where it started.... its old and probably worthless. the last roadie i had in high school (bout 13yrs ago) was a Columbus framed, Campag Record equipped gem- it was all still pretty old when i got it but geez it rode nice- and yes, it has Campag Delta brakes, 5th version from memory. traded it in for a Mongoose AKA bmx bike... :oops: rather stuff around with the repco cos if i wreck it its no big loss...

sorry for the average photo...
at this stage it is a bare frame on my in-laws old kitchen table outside. i hoped most/all of the parts would be usable (as did the wife) but the cranks were cracked almost completely through the pedal end on the right side, and they are freakin heavy so a pair of Lasco alloys are waiting to go on along with an old seat and post from my old mtb-itself from an old roadie. the old 27" steel rims were ok but somehow :wink: managed to get a pair of alloy rims with sealedbearing hubs from Reids in North Melbourne along with some lighter pedals and some foot retention. keeping the drop bars and the original paint (for now). Hooked up some Giant PR-3 rubber for it today too.

i will try and get some decent photos tomorrow of the goodies.... Open to any suggestions tho!

drubie

Re: first fixie build!

Postby drubie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I very much doubt your mtb seatpost will fit the traveller frame. Try and chase down some alloy bars and a stem too, the stock chrome traveller items are ludicrously heavy. Otherwise it's a good choice / easy conversion.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

mk2grimace

Re: first fixie build!

Postby mk2grimace » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Cheers! seat and post do fit and don't look miles out of place, new stem actually showed up today, will get to bars down the track... just need to sort out chain alignment and open the fork dropouts ever so slightly to fit the new axles...