Vintage Track Bikes

brentono

Re: Vintage Track Bikes

Postby brentono » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Jeff
I totally agree with the Guys, that the "Ferretti" needs to go to someone
who will care about it's provenance.
If it ends up with a "punk" and has the front forks drilled, it's trashed.
Extra drillwork will weaken the structure.
Still interested if you sell :)
(though it is way small for me, or most, would be more of a momento... )

Ferretti was a Italian kitchen equipment manufacturer from 1969-1973 and was just like
it's famous cousin's Salvarani and SCIC. All fielded successful Pro Cycling Teams in the 1960's-70's.

Just goes to show how many Trade names, Rider's names etc. became frame names.
They were then exploited, into production line models, under famous framebuilder's names.
That's business, though and having been around to see how it worked through the period,
it was very interesting.
Branding was more business, than provenance and real quality, was very rare. Not unlike today.

Have fun on your Legnano, and enjoy it. As a connection, was offered a contract to ride in Italy
and was to be based on Lake Como at Legnano, a very famous cycling area,
and site of a well known Velodrome.
Vittorio Rossi the companies founder may have been born and worked in this area. A bit of Trivia.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:32 pm

HLC wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:
it will then be highlighted on Fixed.org in the members marketplace, and you will have serious interest from hardcore track tragics.

Sit back and watch the bids fly. Be sure to list with full history/back story in your listing.
So hilarious but so true, and even frustrating! You think you've got one over them, and boom, thread posted, it's all over, no more bargain lol
I like my job and I take pride in ruining other people's bargains.

dayne

Postby dayne » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 pm

To be honest if it wasn't for these so called punks and fixie riders these old track bikes would be in the tip or still rusting under houses.
No mater if you like them or not they are the movement behind the track bike come back.
If this thing was up for sale on ebay i gought it will have spoke cards and drilled forks.
Listening to this is like listening to my great grandfather wining about how the beatles and elvis were the devil.

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 pm

To be honest if it wasn't for these so called punks and fixie riders these old track bikes would be in the tip or still rusting under houses.
No mater if you like them or not they are the movement behind the track bike come back.
If this thing was up for sale on ebay i gought it will have spoke cards and drilled forks.
Listening to this is like listening to my great grandfather wining about how the beatles and elvis were the devil.

Age, number of years riding and picture of bike and Great Grandfatherplease... :D

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Jeff, PM sent re. Opperman frame :)

jeff424

Postby jeff424 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Don't forget that a lot of the old track bikes have been drilled for brakes. When I first started racing at Henson Park, we used to ride the bikes to the track and race. I rode to Wiley Park a few times, because the old Wolseley we had was prone to the odd break down. You gotto love the old Pommie cars with there state of the art Lucas electrical systems and SU fuel pumps.We often did road training and racing on the track bike, especially as a Juvenile. We were limited to a single gear and I used a fixed wheel. Road racing was just a way of keeping fit in the winter so you could do the real racing in the warmer months.

dayne

Postby dayne » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm thirty, did my first itt at 14,
I have so called fixie punk mates that are some of the best cyclists this country has ever produced.
Some clowns out there have ground, powder coated a few nice frames, but the amount of guys that have restored and built truly beautiful bikes far out ways the minority.
I understand this frame needs a good home and I'm off loading two in the near future that I will only sell to the right person.
But one day soon all the old boys will be gone and it's us fixie punks that will carry the flag.

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I don't think this is necessarily about an 'us vs them' argument, but rather about people having a deep respect and appreciation for beautifully designed vintage bikes. It is how engineering and aesthetics become symbiotically engaged with each other in a simple yet practical way. Personally I experience the 'fixie' trend to be about fashion much how skateboarding was for me in the 90s grundge scene, so in the long run I don't believe that it will be holding any flags up as it will die out like any other fashion trend..... most likely before the 'old boys' are even gone. IMO that is

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 pm

LoveMiyata wrote:I don't think this is necessarily about an 'us vs them' argument, but rather about people having a deep respect and appreciation for beautifully designed vintage bikes. It is how engineering and aesthetics become symbiotically engaged with each other in a simple yet practical way. Personally I experience the 'fixie' trend to be about fashion much how skateboarding was for me in the 90s grundge scene, so in the long run I don't believe that it will be holding any flags up as it will die out like any other fashion trend..... most likely before the 'old boys' are even gone. IMO that is
There is a pretty big difference between people that ride 'fixies' and people that ride track bikes on the street.

The fad of $400 off the shelf colour co-ordinated bikes may die out like a bad fashion trend yes, but there will always be a few nutters, as there have been since the invention of the bicycle, who prefer to ride fixed wheel - read track - bikes around.

Just the same as everybody in this sub forum love riding retro bikes, potentially over newer carbon etc. there will always be hardcore enthusiasts surrounding various subcultures of a greater good, be it track / road /retro / MTB / whatever!

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 pm

I agree, and I'm not against hardcore enthusiasts, I'd consider myself an obsessive enthusiast but I think the 'enthusiast' makes up a very mall amount of the scene especially in the 'fixie' 'road track' scene and to me this is very much reflected in the marketplace where it is marketed as a fashion accessory that has to be had and is becoming increasingly expensive

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 pm

HLC wrote:There is a pretty big difference between people that ride 'fixies' and people that ride track bikes on the street.
I'm curious how you distinguish between the two..... fashionista vs enthusiast?

its not a dig btw, I'm just interested and naive... :D

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 am

LoveMiyata wrote:
HLC wrote:There is a pretty big difference between people that ride 'fixies' and people that ride track bikes on the street.
I'm curious how you distinguish between the two..... fashionista vs enthusiast?

its not a dig btw, I'm just interested and naive... :D
Got it in one ;)

munga

Postby munga » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 am

so the big question is:

whaddayagunnadoo with those lurvley bikes, mate?

dayne

Postby dayne » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am

The easiest way to tell is fixie riders use the term fixie,
This term is hated.
In brisbane alone there's samsons, nagasawa, Frezoni, cinelli pista, Chrisini, colnago, olmo, benotto, and I could go on for days,
These are all track bikes as the rolled off the track years before all being ridden around, no brakes drilled, no risers and spoke cards and all very desirable bikes by collectors.
I would much prefer this than them all collecting dust.
Plus every old bike on the road is one less car or new bike on the road.
I was in no way trying to start a fight or a dig at any one in personally just a general dig,
I'm sure these will go to a good home.
If you could get some photos up I'm sure some offers will come in.
Plus I love looking at old bikes

jeff424

Postby jeff424 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:55 pm

To Munga, my Father's bikes will be sold. These are the Carbine, the Ferretti, the Tandem and the Opperman road bike. He could certainly do with the cash. I will keep the Opperman track frame. It has been stacked a few times and is not 100% straight. I won't sell any gear that, in my view is not good enough to ride. It has the original paintwork, in good condition and I have started cleaning it up and it looks great, so it will stand pride of place in my music room. Today I came across some 165mm Zeus cranks and pedals, as well as a set of Shimano track pedals. The Old Boy' s place is like Alladin's Cave.

The inventory of road bikes is the mid 60's Legnano. This will stay. I also have an early 90's Cannondale with a Shimano 600 group set. This was to be sold, but I think it should stay. It is a short wheelbase and if your in a fast sprint, or a tight twisty circuit, this is the bike you want to be on. On good roads, this bike is amazing. On poor roads, it is awful. I will sell a mid 90's Hillbrick with a Shimano 105 group set. It has had very little use and is a great set of wheels. I know people will ask, so the best destination for sales is ebay. It is a fair go to establish what the market price really is.

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:00 pm

dayne wrote:To be honest if it wasn't for these so called punks and fixie riders these old track bikes would be in the tip or still rusting under houses.
Dayne
It is you who lumped the groups together, my friend.
When I stated "If it ends up with a "punk" and has the front forks drilled, it's trashed"
I don't believe I even mentioned the word, Fixie.
The point I made was the with front forks drilled, the frame become structurally "trashed"
A "punk" is a person that drills/grinds off/cuts away sections or parts, (we have many in Oz)
of well made Classic Road and Track frames, maybe amongst the group, you later mention.
I appreciate a lot of the work some Fixie groups have done... MilanoFixed being a gooden'
Chill. :)
Cheers
:mrgreen:

Jeff
Hope it all goes well for you on Eboy... :?
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

jeff424

Postby jeff424 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm

For those who are interested, I have posted a video on my music channell of the Ferretti Track Bike.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffrymanmusic

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Hey jeff, Been following this thread since your first post. Checked out the the video link as I have keen interest in race frames of that era.
What really caught my eye was the flanged head lugs. Blew a couple hours searching the web but couldn't find any info on them.
Checked out Frejus, as there was some similarity in the top of the seat lug (straight cut) and the serial number location (top front of seat lug).
Can,t beat 20th century Italian craftsmanship.

Cheers
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 pm

tee hee, well done Jeff, you're flushing out the cognescenti one by one, so good luck with the sale[s].

what this thread reminds me of...

verbs and nouns

Postby verbs and nouns » Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Love to see the Jack Taylor.

My friend has a matching Jack Taylor road bike and tourer. Sadly the road bike is a write off due some cow in a car, but I'm sure he'd be interested in seeing the tandem.
Andy MASH SF wrote:You ride a (brakeless) track bike on the city street because it’s stupid and reckless–and by default: bad-ass.

jeff424

Postby jeff424 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

I have uploaded a video of the Carbine and the Jack Taylor Tandem on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffrymanmusic

jeff424

Postby jeff424 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Sorry gents. Have been away for a while. Had some health issues and with an elderly Father, there is always something on. I have become an unwilling expert on vagaries of our public health system.

Anyway, I have put the Ferretti up for auction on Ebay. The starting bid is $500 but am hoping for more to help out Dad, it is his bike. I have shown the link below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FERRETTI-ITA ... 500wt_1414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks very much for your support and interest. I hope it goes to someone who really appreciates it.

Sharri29

Postby Sharri29 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Interesting! Still no one has put there money on this?

For all the talk, now deathly silence!

If it was one size bigger I would have a crack myself!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Sharri29 wrote:Interesting! Still no one has put there money on this?

because most of the experienced folks around here are savvy enough to know that you don't bid until the last few seconds or use sniping programs.

Why on earth would you bid with 4 days to go and start a bidding war early with some other green ebay muppet.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Sharri29 wrote:Interesting! Still no one has put there money on this?

looks nice, and there's a bid now, so someone's stepped up
Phil