2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

TailWind

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 am

jasonc wrote:if you are start at home and finish at work (or vice-versa). or travelling from 1 destination to another in a non-organised* ride then it's commuting. anything else is sport i reckon.
e.g. coot-tha challenge was sport
taking the long way to work is commuting.

*there's obviously some exceptions here but if you're doing a touring trip around australia, is that really commuting?
Here's my attempt at a definition of a bicycle commute:

"A bike ride undertaken to one or more destinations for any purpose other than the ride itself"

Could probably use refining :idea:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:42 pm

I am going to start slipping down the list. 2 weeks off now 2 weeks of finishing around 2am has put a stop to my commuting for a bit.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

TailWind wrote:Here's my attempt at a definition of a bicycle commute:

"A bike ride undertaken to one or more destinations for any purpose other than the ride itself"
TW sounds good - I have another simple definition: "Any trip by bicycle that replaces one that would have been by another transport means (ie car)"

Yes it too does need refining but it works for me.
So riding to work, friends place, shops, school, etc.. when there is no car leg done from the same start and finishing point is counted; if the start and finishing point have our car at both then it is not.
So a Friday night hit out when I simply want to go for a ride (even when the car is at home) becuase the car is at the start and finish doesn't get counted but going to the shop to get some milk and going the long way round is. Also if I ride one of the kids to school and Mrs Westab drives the other two from home to school is not counted but the trip to work from school is (if they all ride then it is - no car at school).

This is how I work it out - like many other I am happy however you do it - it is still good motivation. Just wish for more time riding (any kind). :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:42 pm

we have 1 car. she drives it, i barely do.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 am

so, does riding to and from the dawn service count as commuting?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 am

jasonc wrote:so, does riding to and from the dawn service count as commuting?
if you were serious you would march the whole way...but yeah I would count that :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:so, does riding to and from the dawn service count as commuting?
if you were serious you would march the whole way...but yeah I would count that :)
you've got me by 200kms? :(

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:30 am

@Kenzo...did some rough calculations based on your commute figures and mine...if I can do my 4 days a week, hopefully I can catch you in 5-6 weeks

your a tiny dot in the distance at the moment but I am going to work hard to get onto your back wheel

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 am

Nice one GB. I'm scaling back to four days a week with the occasional fiver so your catchup rate should be faster.
I'm planning on having energy left over each week for some MTB riding on weekends or weeknights. Two hours on the MTB trails feels like three hours of commuting.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

Kenzo wrote: I'm planning on having energy left over each week for some MTB riding on weekends or weeknights. Two hours on the MTB trails feels like three hours of commuting.
I have never done the MTB thing...should have tried it when I was younger I guess...dont think the body could handle it now.

Must say, the energy levels do take a hammering with the commuting..I sleep well now lol

westab

Postby westab » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am

Have been enjoying the commute lately - the weather has been good. The moving time of the year is here - the time that we all find out who rides in the cooler months.

I don't like the cold but between this challenge and the lack of a car I keep going.

Also have an apology - sorry I have just logged 3 weeks rides I don't like doing this but I have my no.1 kid wishing for her road bike rebuilt so she can ride it and this (with other things) like riding has been getting in the way of logging rides.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 am

gretaboy wrote: Must say, the energy levels do take a hammering with the commuting..I sleep well now lol
How long have you been commuting?

I found that for the first 3 months I felt dead on the weekend. After ~ 6 months I was ok, but not into the idea of riding at the weekend. After a year or so I'd drive on a Friday if riding on a Saturday. Now, after ~4 years, I don't really notice. I can commute 240km during the week and do a 200+km ride at the weekend no worries.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:59 pm

simonn wrote:
How long have you been commuting?

I found that for the first 3 months I felt dead on the weekend. After ~ 6 months I was ok, but not into the idea of riding at the weekend. After a year or so I'd drive on a Friday if riding on a Saturday. Now, after ~4 years, I don't really notice. I can commute 240km during the week and do a 200+km ride at the weekend no worries.
4 day a week commuting since Dec 2011, then had 5 weeks off from mid Jan due to a broken thumb. I dont ride on weekends due to family commitments but feel like I could ride 100k or so. I have only really got into the commuting/regular cycling since moving to the Hunter area, prior to that it may have been 2-3 40k morning rides a week.

I do ride on the 5th day as well but it isnt a commute, it is a steep hill climb.

I am getting better, getting used to it, just really need a month or 2 of straight riding without any school holidays or injuries to ensure I get fully used to it. The key to my energy levels is how much food I consume, amount of sleep and what else I am doing (ie family duties).

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 am

have sneaked back into 5th by a whisker. That'll only be until Christina logs her rides. Have to do a few longer commutes

westab

Postby westab » Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

After logging the last few weeks rides I have got up to 14th - might start aiming at a top ten and realy find some kms. Now with the rest of the family riding anywhere we can it might just be possible.

They even might want to join in.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm

First time back commuting in a month today.

Still in 9th place and don't think I will get much higher.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

noone is posting here so i will. my garmin says i did over 260km commuting this week. endomondo says 257. not too bad.
my biggest commuting week ever. and it's what i plan to be the norm from now.

monday is a public holiday for the sunshine state so a few of you will get a jump on us next week.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Yay for public holidays! Aiming for a MTB ride on Monday. Hopefully my back will be limber enough...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 am

jasonc wrote: my biggest commuting week ever. and it's what i plan to be the norm from now.
Jason..that a 5 day week or less?? Thats not a bad total number of k's for a week, for simply commuting.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 07, 2012 11:31 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote: my biggest commuting week ever. and it's what i plan to be the norm from now.
Jason..that a 5 day week or less?? Thats not a bad total number of k's for a week, for simply commuting.
5 days last week, commuting only. getting out on the weekend with a 3 and a 1/2 year old in the house is difficult (wife wants a break too)
only 4 days this and next week so will have to just grin and bear it.

friday next week, all going to plan might do one of my big 44kms ride to work

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Things are at an interesting, yet boring, place at the moment in the challenge.

It seems everyone is holding their place and not much is changing. I guess things may "heat up" with Winter due to people getting sick and any rain that may be received causing people to stop commuting for a period.

The three front runners all have roughly the same number of commuting k's each day, so I unless someone stops riding for a period of time, I cant see the current kilometre gaps between them changing much.

Tailwind seems to be a commuting machine and will be hard to catch by anyone in the challenge.

Jasonc has upped the number of k's he is doing so over time may gradually reel in some of these front runners. I know that if I dont keep riding he will cycle over the top of me as the gap between us is only about a week and a halfs worth of riding for him.

What will happen when the rain hits?? I know I am at a bit of a disadvantage due to the length of my commute...45k's in the winter rain will be a lot harder than 25k's or so I am thinking. Stay colder for longer, but I am hoping my backbone doesnt turn to jelly on those days.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed May 09, 2012 1:27 pm

I've been back out enjoying the mountain biking over the last few days. As a consequence, my legs are smashed and it is only mid-week.
I feel I am going to continue to MTB more often as the days get cooler.. Early afternoon MTB rides suit me better - temperatures in BNE during the warmer months at this time of day sap me of energy very quickly.

So... point of it all is - I think my Commuting kms will drop and the time on the MTB will go up. (e.g Almost two hours spent in the bush this morning before the commute to work.)

The 10'000km target for 2012 - is looking even more less likely now - but I don't feel any sense of loss :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 pm

gretaboy wrote:Jasonc has upped the number of k's he is doing so over time may gradually reel in some of these front runners. I know that if I dont keep riding he will cycle over the top of me as the gap between us is only about a week and a halfs worth of riding for him.
I'll be gentle.

was unhappy this morning to see my longer commute ripped up for resurfacing. Will do my coot-tha commute tomorrow which isn't as long (still over 30kms).

Am a smidgen from being 1000kms in front of my brother for the year, so that is my current challenge (he lives in melbourne, and has just entered the 250km round the bay and he's been lazy as hell the last few months, so I expect that to change).
If I can maintain ~250km/week commuting I'll be pretty happy

And I'll hope to keep that 10000km target at bay for Kenzo.

To easter saturday I was 2kms behind our car for the year, but a week off the bike and a few trips down the coast has put me will behind the 8-ball. but that is a wishful think goal (I'd say the car will end up with about 12000kms on it and that'd be very difficult for me to match at my current pace.

I appreciate you being in front of me gretaboy as it's giving a challenge, but can understand you frustration with the leaders as they'd be impossible for us to catch if they maintain their kms.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Maybe start an 'hours in the saddle' challenge where entrants must also be in the Commuter challenge as a pre-requisite.
See who spends the most hours on their bike... Then the slower riders have a little advantage :-)
Call it the "ACF Monkey Butt Cup". LOL

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 am

gretaboy wrote: Tailwind seems to be a commuting machine and will be hard to catch by anyone in the challenge.
It's not so much the distance I ride ( ~52km round trip) but the consistency, I suppose.
Also, I'm a self-employed tech consultant and don't give myself much leave :mrgreen: . Aside from the fact that I enjoy the commuting by bike, the alternative modes of transport aren't exactly appealing or efficient from where I stay now. The last time I used PT to get to work was almost 18 months ago, all commutes since then have been on the bike....

Gretaboy, if you remain consistent, you'll annihilate all of us before the year is out..you'll fly by so quickly I won't even get the chance to wave :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike