Crossing the Pentecost River, Kimberley, WA

J Quinton

Re: Crossing the Pentecost River, Kimberley, WA

Postby J Quinton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:
J Quinton wrote:Hmmm.

This has me wondering. The max I could go is 28mm, possibly 32mm at a stretch.
Why only 32 mm? What bike/rims are you riding?

Riding a road bike. (700mm with 32 spoke. Durable. The last set lasted 60,000 +km) The bike I've done all touring on. Can't afford anything else at the moment and hasn't let me down yet. Had 28mm on there before easily. Will try a 32mm and if that doesnt fit on bike will move to extrawheel wheel. A touch more stability will be good back there in any case.

I'm going to opt for Schwalbe Marathon plus'.

Took the bike on some very rough roads in Scotland. Road down to Talia caves in SA.

Appears in all the photos I've seen everyone has to get off and push their bike through soft sand, so the only issue is puncture resistance, which I'm confident about. Going to get mountain bike pedals and keen sandals, no cleats.

I read the ultra-light touring guy did the GRR road on his roadie. Will look in to a stand. Can you recommend one?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm

J Quinton wrote:I'm going to opt for Schwalbe Marathon plus'.
The only downside I see for these is that Schwalbe rate them two stars for off-road grip.
Appears in all the photos I've seen everyone has to get off and push their bike through soft sand, so the only issue is puncture resistance, which I'm confident about. Going to get mountain bike pedals and keen sandals, no cleats.

Sounds good and yep sand seems to be that way.
Will look in to a stand. Can you recommend one?
I have a Hebie Bipod but would suggest that you also consider a Greenfield Stablizer or similar

Hebie Bipod

Greenfield Stabilizer

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Also consider the Pletscher Multi-zoom stand

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:49 pm

J Quinton wrote:Appears in all the photos I've seen everyone has to get off and push their bike through soft sand, so the only issue is puncture resistance, which I'm confident about. Going to get mountain bike pedals and keen sandals, no cleats.
Hmmm... cleats give you more options regarding which muscle groups you recruit and which ones you can relax, whereas even with flats you need to manage the top and bottom of the stroke more carefully, since if you're pushing across the pedal at those points in the stroke your foot can still slide off, pin spikes notwithstanding.

Of course you'll adapt with training and use, so if you're set on that plan, I'd start sooner than later to give your body time to make the necessary adaptations. Those pin-spike flat mtb pedals can hurt if they decide to take a liking to your shins. Lots of downhillers and flat pedal veterans tend to wear shin guards around here for a reason.

SPD sandals might be a practical option?

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks for the stand suggestions.

Thank you for your thoughts. Don't get me wrong I use cleats everyday and love em.

Apparently a lot of flat pedals work around the disadvantages with nobs. Im looking at the speedplay drilliums. A lot of reviews say they feel like cleats. Willing to take a couple of shin jabs.

Have also just found the Ergon PC2 Pedals. http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/blog/?p=4829

Problem with the keen commuter and spd combo is that I do not have either. Already have some sandals. Also, no one stocks the commuter sandals in Perth as far as I know. I have a wide foot. Heard they run narrow. May be Ill just go this route and shelve the SPD's when not touring.

The MKS touring pedal look ok but I think I would get a sore foot after a while.