What is a good bike for commuting?

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi everyone

My dad is moving office in about 2 weeks and is thinking of starting commuting. Only one problem though...he needs a new bike. He is not sure about which 'style' of bike to get though. he has a price range of about $1000. He is certainly open to suggestions.

BTW the trip is about 11K.

He is just unsure of what to get :?

Thanks in advance :)
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

DavidS

Re: What is a good bike for commuting?

Postby DavidS » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am

There are a number of alternatives: hybrid, flat bar roadie, touring bike etc.

I went for a flat bar roadie because I wanted no suspension, thin tyres, the ability to put on mudguards and a rack. This suits me.

Your father should go to a bike shop and ride a few bikes to see what he likes. Also ask some questions and think about the logistics of cycling to work. Will he be carrying clothes and shoes? Will he ride on the road or paths? Will he ride in the wet? What sort of speed does he want to ride at?

There are many factors which come into play and he needs to get a bike which suits his needs and preferences and he needs to try out some bikes for himself.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:56 am

DavidS wrote:There are many factors which come into play and he needs to get a bike which suits his needs and preferences and he needs to try out some bikes for himself.
agree

I also went a flat bar - very happy with the choice. But now I really want disk brakes and want to maintain road bike drive train. To do that look like the next bike will be a cyclo-cross.

For an 11km commute, you could get away with anything. If he currently doesn't ride/have a bike, buy a 2nd hand bike and make sure he's going to enjoy it before spending $1k on a bike. It's not the cost of the bike that gets you, it's all the bits you have to put on it.

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll make sure to tell him :)
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 pm

If I was riding in the wet I would want disc brakes.
Because regardless of how good a rider you are sometimes you need to really stop...

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:35 am

Very happy with my Kona Honky Inc, however it's over $1k. You may be able to pick up a 2nd hand one though...

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 am

Giant seek. Very nice bike.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 pm

How fit is he?
How flexible is he?
What conditions will he ride in? (weather)
What surface will he ride on?
Will he be carrying gear/clothing?
Will he be riding at night?
What mechanical empathy / repair/maintenance skill does he have?

The answers should guide you to the ideal choice.

diggler

Postby diggler » Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 am

I've got Giant Cross City 2. Flat bar road bike. $1000. Ticks every box.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

diggler wrote:Flat bar road bike. $1000. Ticks every box.
Except comfortable bars. I don't like flats - pain in the wrist. Give me drops or north road any day! (Currently building a new commuter on an old Gemini Raddoneur frame)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri May 18, 2012 1:44 pm

diggler wrote:I've got Giant Cross City 2. Flat bar road bike. $1000. Ticks every box.
It doesn't tick any boxes until the OP decides/tells us what the boxes are.

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 pm

This is Perth. It ain't that wet, and it ain't that hilly. Discs are nice, but not a deal breaker.

Depends on where to where it is. If on the PSP the North/South one can be a bit bumpy in more than a few spots. 25mm tyres are just a bit more comfy without really being any slower (25mm GP4000s are a good compromise between comfort, performance, durability and puncture resistance).

As for drops v flat bars, well thats a personal preference. I started with a flatbar then went to drops, and have ended up on recumbents - mainly due to comfort and existing injuries.

Rack & Panniers v Backpack for carrying gear is another issue, I went with Rack/panniers as any weight on my shoulder is uncomfortable pretty quickly, and the Ortlieb panniers are bombproof .

Yes its only 11kms - but if you are starting off 11kms is a long way. So its important that whatever your dad ends up getting he is comfortable on, and feels confident enough to deal with traffic.

Yes and decent lights too this time of year. Superflash/Radbot 1000 rears a good way to go. Front lights - well numerous threads on that. Personally I have had my DX cheapies fail in the rain, so I don't trust them, and lashed out on Dinottes this week (mainly because I am starting to do some Audax events and want some good lights).