Todays rides

mrgolf

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm

mezla wrote: Just did a nice easy little 50k loop out through Gungahlin to Sutton (via Mulligans Flat Rd/Gundaroo Rd) and back via the Fed.
Just did the same loop minus a couple of little detours. God its a good route. Cant wait for the dirt section to be done. 6 weeks away, or so the lollipop man told me. http://app.strava.com/rides/6992435

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:29 am

Awesome! Yeah, I really really like that route... it's got a bit of a mixture of scenery/terrain. I don't mind the short dirt section... bit of fun :D ... but the grids are hardcore.

Smashed out a ride to Shingle Hill this morning... left in the dark and it was so foggy... so much moisture in the air! Had to ride without glasses :roll:

BoM tells me it was about 12 degrees, but it felt a little colder than that. Still, good times :twisted:

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 am

Another pre-dawn Shingle Hill ride this morning... this time with added rain! :roll:

Need better shoe covers... mine are totally waterproof on top, but let WAY too much water in through the bottom.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 pm

mezla wrote:Another pre-dawn Shingle Hill ride this morning... this time with added rain! :roll:

Need better shoe covers... mine are totally waterproof on top, but let WAY too much water in through the bottom.
I looked out the window at 0515 and said, nope not going out in the rain, then went back to bed and slept in and was late for work.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Red berries in Northbourne Ave cycle lane are very slippery when wet....ask me how I know :(

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Ross wrote:Red berries in Northbourne Ave cycle lane are very slippery when wet....ask me how I know :(
Dont tell me you hit the deck again?
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Maybe :?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Man! I was just bummed that they made my bike dirty. Stacking is waaay worse. Hope you are OK.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Ross wrote:Maybe :?
so how much skin did you take off this time?

more importantly how is the bike :lol:
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

psike

Postby psike » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am

Earlier this week the Audax Stargazers 1000km... DNF :(

Ride from Cowra, out to Dunedoo, Coonabarabran and up to Siding Springs Observatory and back.

Day 1: 385km all done and dusted. Nice ride, lots of undulations, quiet roads and awesome little country towns. Got to see "Animals on Bikes" http://www.animalsonbikes.com.au/around Cumnock and Yoevel, and the scale model of the Solar System http://www.solarsystemdrive.com/.

Finished up at Dunedoo in a rented cottage where the ride organiser had food waiting, and caught a few hours sleep.

Day 2: Wet. 40 km to Coolah was crap. False flat, tired legs, rain. Great bakery, great coffee picked us up for the decent climb coming. Then things went bad. Broke the rear gear cable. Found I'd not packed a spare. Got in to Binnaway ate and started to check if there was a bike shop on Coonabarabran. Continued into to Coona - sure enough someone had answered my tweet for help and I rang the Mower Shop (come Bicycle Shop) and they didn't know what I was talking about. At this point with about 50km of tough work behind me (climbing with two gears) I was feeling it in my right knee. Managed to scavange a cable but couldn't get it working properly and was more worried about the checkpoint cutoff at the observatory. On the way out there every hill was causing a lot of pain in the knee, I hit a steep section and made the decision to preserve the knees for another day. Headed back to Coonabarabran and bailed.

Ended up with about 550km of riding, 75ish with the one gear on rear cassette. Lesson learnt about spares.

Two others dropped out of the 1000, 8 started 5 finished.

Really well organised ride through great country,

Russell.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:42 pm

jcjordan wrote:
Ross wrote:Maybe :?
so how much skin did you take off this time?

more importantly how is the bike :lol:
Pretty much the same amount from the same places as last crash - hip and forearm. Bent the rear derailleur hanger on the bike and bar tape was a bit scuffed up, took the bike to Ian and he sorted it out and gave it a clean and a service at the same time.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:32 am

Ouch. Always hurts more when it's cold too :-/
I am yet to have a stack at speed. I'm not looking forward to it.

Riding to Captain's Flat with a mate this arvo, beautiful day for it! :D

twizzle

Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Ouch. 109km, about half of which was after I clipped the back wheel of my mates bike and came off at about 20-25kph. First ever crash, just bruises and scrapes as I came down in the loose gravel by the side of the road, but I can't lift my left arm out to the side and have a really sore elbow. And chipped the ends of my carbon aero extensions and scratched up the brifters. :evil: Luckily the new aero shifters weren't fitted yet.
Last edited by twizzle on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Ouch :(

Weren't doing Uriarra loop today were you? May or may not have passed someone i thought was you :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

twizzle

Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:25 pm

HAKS wrote:Ouch :(

Weren't doing Uriarra loop today were you? May or may not have passed someone i thought was you :P
Yep, on the blue Ribble. Stacked out the front of Uriarra settlement after my mate suddenly slowed and I didn't get on the brakes quick enough. Left arm is munted, can't use it for anything now. Might have to walk to work tomorrow, it's only 8.5km each way...

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 pm

twizzle wrote:
HAKS wrote:Ouch :(

Yep, on the blue Ribble. Stacked out the front of Uriarra settlement after my mate suddenly slowed and I didn't get on the brakes quick enough. Left arm is munted, can't use it for anything now. Might have to walk to work tomorrow, it's only 8.5km each way...
Yeap :). Saw you at SFP this morning and I thought you had Ribble frame.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

the_big_fella

Postby the_big_fella » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Ouch - hope you both heal up real quick Ross and twizzle.
I got back on my bike for the first time a few days ago after nearly 3 weeks off the bike following my stack.
A nice leisurely ride around LBG.
Everything has healed up pretty well.
Hopefully I'll get a leave pass on the weekend to clock up some kms....

twizzle

Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

the_big_fella wrote:Ouch - hope you both heal up real quick Ross and twizzle.
I got back on my bike for the first time a few days ago after nearly 3 weeks off the bike following my stack.
Any idea what happened yet? Witnesses? Not knowing would freak me out badly.

the_big_fella

Postby the_big_fella » Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 am

twizzle wrote:
the_big_fella wrote:Ouch - hope you both heal up real quick Ross and twizzle.
Any idea what happened yet? Witnesses? Not knowing would freak me out badly.
Still no clearer on what happened. No witnesses, bike holds no clues, health checks came back ok.
It might have to remain one of life's mysteries. And yep, it does freak me out a bit.
I am noticing i am a bit nervier on the bike at the moment. That'll pass i hope.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Big progress today - I managed to drive myself to work instead of having my wife drop me off and pick me up.

skull

Postby skull » Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Well after todays exciting ride I am going to stick to just riding the mountain bike parks now

Details here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=52259

petie

Postby petie » Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 pm

I had an excellent ride to work and back for the first time in the early morning (530/6am). Have been keeping it to evening shifts but decided to bust out and ride this morning. A little chilly, but far out the hot shower was worth it at the end!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sun May 06, 2012 3:06 pm

skull wrote:Well after todays exciting ride I am going to stick to just riding the mountain bike parks now

Details here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=52259
FWIW, I don't think a single episode should dictate your riding habits... s#!t happens from time to time, just move on.

Anyway, if you do stick to the MTB trails (or don't)... have you ridden Sparrow Hill/East Kowen Forest lately? I think this area has supplanted Stromlo as my favourite place to MTB. On the East Kowen side (Mont 24 tracks), there are some changes with a fully sign-posted 25 km loop that is so flowy, plus has a bit of everthing. And today I rode the new interlinked and sign-posted trails on the Sparrow side, where there is a 16km and 27km loops (all one way too). So that makes 50+ km of single track in the one place without riding the same section twice!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, I agree on the road thing and the Kowen/ Sparrow thing.

You can't make a call about road riding with an incident like that when you weren't even riding on the road... I did more than 10K on the road alone last year and had very few problems.

Kowen was prepped for the Mont by Kowalksi and co, and then returned to working order afterwards. Nice trails. A mate was riding Sparrow yesterday and reckons it was bumpier and more fatiguing than Stromlo. Either way, Kowen will do me fine. Then Bruce, Majura and Stromlo.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am

Rider down this morning - corner of Melrose Drive and Theodore street Curtin (at the bottom of the hill).

Hope whoever it is is okay.

I went past and assumed the rider had been already taken to hospital (a friend of mine said she saw someone on the road being covered by a blanket when she went past earlier) :( . Police and a fire truck were there and they were looking at a red bike with black handlebar tape. I didn't stop to gawk as it was all a bit congested and traffic being directed straight on towards yarra glen. A group of people standing around talking (whether they were witnesses, helpers a moron motorist?) I don't know.

It looked as though he/she was possibly hit by something turning across in front of them. Anyone know any more?

heal well whoever you are.