Touring clothing for week-long Danube ride

familyguy

Touring clothing for week-long Danube ride

Postby familyguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm going on a week-long ride down the Danube from Passau in Germany to Vienna and Bratislava in mid-September, and have come to the point where I've got to start making decisions on clothing to take.

I'm looking at a pair (or two if required) of Netti (Equalisers, shy shorts) or Ground Effects (Juggernauts/Supertankers/Double Happys) shorts for the trip. I figure that these will let me trip along, then walk around without offending anyone with any unsightly lycra in the villages or major centres. The trip is 8 days of (average) 50-60km day, staying on a barge each night. I guess this gives me a chance to wash my shorts.

Can anyone suggest/recommend these or others? What about shirts? I was thinking of wearing t-shirts to avoid the 'hey, look at me, I'm a cycle tourist' thing.

Jim

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

How about one of these.....

Image ? :wink: (sorry!)

weekendrider

Postby weekendrider » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:29 am

Hi Jim,

I'm going on a bike barge in Germany in July and I will be taking a couple of jerseys as I went into my tour company's web site and other company's to that offered same sort of a trip and in there recommend list of stuff to bring they had bike jerseys listed as well as shy shorts and or bike knicks, I all so had a look through there photos of the tour and the groups that have been on them and people all seem to be wearing this gear. Anyway hope this helps

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:45 am

The problem with the t-shirts is that they are made of cotton and are rather uncomfortable when they get sweaty.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:49 pm

I was figuring the t-shirts may not do well with sweat or getting damp. I'm not planning on averaging more than about 15km/h so that may not be an issue. The Primal Ritz jersey MAY be a bit much. Just a little overt. Nice suggestion though. There's a few in the jersey thread like that though.

I reckon two pairs of the baggy shy shorts type thing would keep me riding comfortably yet out of trouble fashion-wise when I get off the bike. I'll try to check out the website for the specific tour and see if they have a list.

On another note, anyone got any experience buying helmets in a foreign country? Rather than take mine and have it kick about in a plane and hire car for two weeks beforehand, I was planning on buying one in Germany. Probably wouldnt be AS compliant, but I wont be using it for racing when I come home. Issue? Either that or I can ditch it or sell it to another tour before I go.

Jim

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:11 pm

These are popular in Deutschland, ja?
Image Image :lol: (sorry.... again! No more, I promise)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Not any more, as far as I can tell...didnt you hear: they're reformed.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue May 06, 2008 1:11 am

when unless you have some kind of physical deformity, i wouldn't worry. I went along the Danube back in '89 and we were there again in 2005.
Nice dry weather the first time.
End of June 2005 the weather didn't stop raining to the extent that the Danube flooded and we caught a train back to Vienna. We were camped one night beside a father and son who were riding in the same direction and they had been trying to complete the ride for the last 5 years but each time the river had flooded.
Don't wear anything cotton. No jeans or t-shirts as they will make you cold when they are wet and they take ages to dry. Make sure that clothing is some kind of wicking fabric that keeps the moisture away from your body and dries quickly.
We managed to get cheap prices from rates to go for hotel Kummer in Vienna who didn't blink an eye when we carried the tandem up and down the main stairs. Lovely place.
Goldener Stern Gasthof in Melk was good to with great food. We rode for 120kms in pouring rain and didn't feel like camping at the end of the ride. Great test for the Storm trooper jkt. The gasthof let us walk through their foyer dripping wet, park the tandem somewhere safe and washed all our clothes for us at no charge.
Oh and if you see a sign with an exclamation mark on it, SLOW DOWN!!
it's a warning for a culvert. Dry it would be bad enough but hitting it doing 20kms/hr when there's 2' of water in it is not a good idea. All our stuff was nice and dry in the Ortleib panniers though.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed May 07, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice geoffs.

Looks like I'll be grabbing a couple pairs of shorts and a couple of 'proper' shirts for the trip and washing when I need.

Jim