High Heart rate

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mrfenejeans

High Heart rate

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 am

Ok so, I'm 24 yrs old Male, weigh 89-90kg's and cycle 300-350km's a week at paces from 30-33ish km/h. from distances of 40km thru to 100km.

However yesterday on my ride, while i felt fine on the ride its self and didn't think i was pushing my self that hard (as my legs were feeling a bit tight), got off the bike uploaded to Strava and noticed my heart rate got abnormally high, and have had very sore lungs, over night(didnt stop me sleeping) and even a little this morning.

Am going to get my blood pressure tested as i have been very stressed latley, however would this be the cause for it to go so high, or is it more likely my HR strap has flipped out.

ldrcycles

Re: High Heart rate

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 am

226 is damn high, especially for the amount of riding you're doing. Definitely get off to the doc asap and get it checked out.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed May 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Got to the Dr, had an ECG and referred to a cardiologist for Friday, told to keep the HR Below 180.

Sure makes having Strava or Garmin w/ heart rate a good idea now, when i can print off the results and hand it to the DR, and show him even if its not 100% accurate whats going on.

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed May 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Looks like the normal erroneous high HR reading you get when the strap contacts are poor or you're wearing an artificial fibre shirt and travelling at speed.

Annoyingly, once the monitor locks on to the 226 ish rate, it sometimes doesn't drop back to your actual HR until you remove the strap and put it on again.

It happened to me every time I wore a polyester t-shirt - so now I only wear cotton and it doesn't happen anymore.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

hosko

Postby hosko » Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm

The real question is, how long does it take your heart rate to come back down after exercise?

I would be inclined to ignore the 227 and go for the Average reading. For peace of mind of course get the check however It sounds and looks like a mis-read by the heart strap. It can happen and have had it happen on my Cateye also.

So monitor how long it takes to get the HR back to an around 100 and then back down to resting. Generally when you are fitter, the time it takes for it to reduce becomes less. I know mine has reduced a lot over the time I have been riding but sits around your average when pushing it.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 pm

arkle wrote:Looks like the normal erroneous high HR reading you get when the strap contacts are poor or you're wearing an artificial fibre shirt and travelling at speed.
arkle
I agree, reckon it looks like the HR strap had a flip out. Keep an eye on it though, especially if you get dizzy at all when it's that high. The other thing to look for is a sudden jump in HR and then a sudden fall, which would look pretty much like a square block on the graph.

I imagine you'll earn yourself a 24hr monitor from the cardiologist, not a bad idea to get it all checked out. You're right with the HR graphs, could definitely come in handy if it catches a something funny. Just annoying if it is shirt interference or something making it look unnaturally high

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I highly doubt that after over 100+ rides with a heart rate monitor and always wearing synthetic fabric cycling jerseys and no past rides with such high readings that its a jersey causing any interference for me, possibly just the strap getting worn out or the battery.

Hopefully nothing wrong (assuming there isnt) interested in doing the Stress test though, see what my max HR is, and how much harder i could be pushing my self.