C Grades for blokes like me who should be in B
17%
D Grades where they fight like hell not to go to C
28%
E Grades where you'll be till you get promoted to D
22%
No way Jose, crazy Road Racers!!
6%
Maybe, if I can put down the Easter Eggs and get off the couch.
6%

Total votes: 18
nickobec

Re: Road Racing 2012 - Peel Districts Cycling Club

Postby nickobec » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Rode the Nambeelup Circuit today in preparation for Saturday week.

Better quality surface than the Serpentine Circuit, but the Shire of Murray which hosts half the circuit, does use larger stones in its' road base than metro councils.

Also prepared to olfactory senses worked over on Lakes Road passing a fertilizer factory and chicken farm.

Glad I only have to do one lap in E grade. Particularly as it is exposed and a South Westerly will be hard work on both Lakes Road (ride west) and Paterson Road (ride South East).

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I would have loved to do the junior tour thing coming up but I dont have the money for a racing license :( :cry:
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Sunday, 22 April 2012 13:04
Written by Roger Woolley, Peel District Cycling Club

61 riders turned out to greet the Peel District Cycling Club’s new winter road racing season at Serpentine on Saturday afternoon.

5 juniors took to the road under the guidance of Club Coach Murray Coombs to start the racing.

They were racing a two lap race with the first lap and a half restricted to a fairly low pace under instruction. Towards the end when traffic was low they were released to sprint for the line. The sprint was taken by Harry Lee-Kelly in fine form closely followed in by Todd Brown and Ethan McConnachie.

The main events of the day, the five graded races starting off with A grade racing 8 laps or 70kms followed by the lower grades with E grade racing 4 laps or 35km.

The A grade race was an unusual event with Daniel Gray breaking away on lap 1 and passing some 15 seconds up on the remaining riders at the end of lap 2 he had been joined by Iain Moynihan and the pair were 25 seconds up. Lap 3 saw the bunch increase to 4 riders as Dave Berglund crossed the gap which was now out to 48 seconds. Two laps later it all came together and stayed like that until the finish. The sprint was taken easily by Sem Lambrechts from Andrew Martin and Dave Berglund.

B Grade developed into a breakaway group of three riders and the bunch half a minute back. Winner was Cameron Jose from Paul Prottey and Andrew McLurg with Peter Mills leading home the bunch.

C Grade was won by new member Troy Fitzgerald ahead of Brent Mansfield and another new member Thomas Breen in a large bunch finish.

Tom Power took the D Grade win in another bunch sprint from Nancy Caceres and Dave Porter. New members took first and third in the E Grade event with Bruce Barrington first followed in by junior rider Kyle Nankivell and Nick Cowie.

Results: Peel District CC Serpentine RR 21st April

Results for Grade A
1.Sem Lambrechts
2.Andrew Martin
3.Dave Berglund
4.Matt Upton
5.Iain Moynihan
6.Damir Kolonic
7.Daniel Gray
DNF Wade Longworth
DNFGlen Harris

Results for Grade B
1.Cameron Jose
2.Paul Prottey
3.Andrew McLurg
4.Peter Mills
5.Peter Carlin
6.John Buonvecchi
7.Anthony Wishart
8.Reg Edwards
9.Daniel Taborsky
10.Peter Hornberg
11.Glyn Fish
12.Mirco Della Vecchia
13.Alex Williamson
DNF Justin Brown
DNF Steve Dodd

Results for Grade C
1.Troy Fitzgerald
2.Brent Mansfield
3.Thomas Breen
4.Richard Williamson
5.Geoff Marshall
6.David Shailer
7.David Kirk
8.Andrew Brown
9.Martin Jose
10.Russell Fryer
11.Dave Dyson
12.Brett McDonald
DNF Shannon Arnott
DNF Mikala Falconer
DNF Alison Dyson

Results for Grade D
1.Tom Power
2.Nancy Caceres
3.David Porter
4.Don Griffin
5.David Mitton
6.Rob Mold
7.Harry Postma
DNF Pat O'Neill

Results for Grade E
1.Bruce Barrington
2.Kyle Nankivell
3.Nick Cowie
4.Rob Davis
5.Anthony Ridgley
6.Connor Lee-Kelly
7.Ken Portman
8.Scott McMaster
9.Jimmy Lee

Results for Grade Junior
1.Harry Lee-Kelly
2.Todd Brown
3.Ethan McConnachie
4.Jake Brown
5.Elise Nankivell
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 pm

So who is racing on Saturday?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Not me :cry:

Down to Busso for the 1/2 IM - watching, not participating 8)

Tough course this week, particularly if wet and windy.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri May 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Are there other clubs like this in Perth?

Ones that do frequent road racing that is.

I've looked on the web but little seems to appear.

Peel seem to have the right, casual approach, and I'm willing to ride out there and back to race. But a closer option would be good too.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Fri May 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Hey J - long time :wink:

The long and the short of it is there isn't another club that puts on road or crit racing on such a regular schedule - unless you are either over 35 (and can race with West Coast Masters) or interested in time trials and want to race with ATTA. Other clubs put on races but not week in week out.
Cheers,
Dave

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri May 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Gday!

What a shame.

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Tue May 15, 2012 5:55 pm

I've been too lazy to post anything lately, so today you get 2 for 1! A review and a preview!

Last race was on a newly created circuit - Nambeelup. A 28km lap incorporating some of the roads used for the Pinjarra Classic and State Team Time Trial. Since the lap is so long the race distance for D grade was bumped up to 56km from the usual 45km. I thought this would be the ideal venue for a breakaway to dictate the race (featuring RedBull probably if he was there), but a collection of strong riders saw that any attempts were stamped out quickly. Since everyone was just waiting for the final sprint, rider's became skittish about keeping an ideal pack position (around 5th wheel in our pack of 13) and I found it difficult getting a good paceline happening.

Once, after a turn on the front, I peeled off and started to slow - but the pack stayed behind me! Slower and slower I went... 30km/h... 25... 20! Finally Leanne came through and we started moving again. I was tired and sore by the end, and couldn't put out enough watts to challenge the likes of Robbie for the sprint. Walked away with my 2 points for at least finishing. All in all it rode very much like a criterium and less like a road race, but it's early in the season so we'll see how things go.

Now for this Saturday 19th! Return to Serpentine!
8.8km lap
A = 8 laps = 70.4km
B = 7 laps = 61.6km
C = 6 laps = 52.8km
D = 5 laps = 44km
E = 4 laps = 35.2km

1pm registrations & nominations, 2pm race start. See you there!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm back this weekend - Yay!!

Serpentine - mmmmmmm..................

I hope it is rainy and windy :twisted: :twisted:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Redbull wrote:I hope it is rainy and windy
No that is being saved up for you at West Dwellinup the week after

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 am

Ha ha

Redbull master stroke for West Dwellingup (well some say I am just a master stroker :oops: )

I arrive back into the country on Friday 1st and after 12 days off the bike I was not looking forward to doing West Dwellingup the next day. I put myself down as a marshall for that event so 5 points - whoo hoo!!

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 am

A few of us from Rota-M will come this week, In A and B grade
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 pm

wow that was a hard race on Saturday.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Short race report for PDCC Serpentine 19/5/2012 - B grade

B grade was a biggish bunch of 24 or so and things were pretty cool for the first lap. The Rota-M boys seemed anxious to do something and had a few short digs. I followed one of them off the front but wasn't planning on staying out there - it was only lap 2 of 7 - and we went back to the bunch. Wasn't long before the other Rota-M dude took off and a break of 5 was formed. They never got out of sight and eventually one-by-one they dropped off and rejoined the group - except the Rota-M guy. After a haphazard chase with only a few guys (Peter Mills - what a machine!) working we came within 250m of him and thought he was coming back - but no.... I think the idea was to let him dangle a bit longer bit he was too strong and the organised chase came too late. Some confusion about the bell lap (or not) didn't help. Such was the confusion that 2 lots of results were put up for the placings after 6 laps and the placings after 7 laps!

The final turn on this course is 3km out and I found myself on the front from about 2.5km out.... no one was coming thru and I buried myself,... had time to recover and buried myself again in the hope that my team mates would make something of it at the end. I think one of them won the bunch sprint for 2nd and I rolled over the line nowhere - but satisfied with the days racing.

As always PDCC has awesome marshalls and organisers and many thankx go to them for putting on the races.

I look forward to the handicap on Saturday week - only done a few of these and it's nice for a change.
Cheers,
Dave

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 23, 2012 12:51 pm

posted my race report to the race report thread in Road Bike section.

Not looking forward to the handicap, Saturday week, not because it is a handicap but because it involves climbing.

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 am

Everyone cheer! It's hills time!

This Saturday 2nd June we head to Dwellingup for an out-and-back handicap. For those wondering, a handicap race gives the slower grade riders a head start over the faster groups, but everyone is racing against each other for the big points. The Dwellingup West course heads west out of town and down the scarp, only to turn around and face about 300 vertical meters of climbing. Around 38km distance in total.

I know it's a long drive (or warm up ride) for some, I'll have the family tagging along and making an afternoon outing of it.

As usual nominations start from 1pm, racers with the most handicap starting off from 2pm.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Beware the 2 x train crossings. I came across them just as I was building up speed coming down Pinjarra - Williams Rd and went EEEP
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Had a cold all week, have not been riding so I am going to give Saturday a miss.

If it was flat, I might go along for the ride, but the climb ....

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Yep looking forward to this one, I haven't done it before. I have done the other one out of north Danderlup twice
It will be good to descend first for a change instead of climbing cold.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I little race report from me.
We had 3 riders from Rota-M at this race with us all starting of scratch at 20 mins. This is normal for peel and not something that worry about anymore going for the race win. It now becomes a race for fastest time.
There was 7 of us in the scratch bunch
Avg 49km by the turn around and made a solid effort back until the hill. when Jon Beck and Craig Cooke took off at the base of the climb, that was then the race for fastest time gone and left 4 of us to ride the rest of the race.
avg for the race was 38.1km/h. good fun, good climbing.
below is the point the 2 climbers took off

Regards
Troy

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm

It was good to see how I would fare with some hill climbing in the way, and glad to say I didn't do too badly.

I was in the second group to head off, 8 minutes behind the first group and 4 minutes in front of the next. The downhill run was pretty uneventful, although I was ready to fly at full speed over the railway crossings - the rest of my group didn't feel the same bravado. Also I think we dropped one rider (Clinton?) somewhere in the downhill, maybe it was a mechanical...

Good paceline work on the flat, and we see riders from the first group as we near the turn-around (this always helps to pick up morale!). Justina was off the front of that first group with another rider, which I was in two minds about (good effort from her, but I still have to catch her!). After turn-around and we see the faster boys powering past, I'm thinking "they are easily going to catch us before the hill, then game over", but at the same time we are passing the dropped riders from the splintered first group, then it's time for some climbing.

First rise, and I think we mostly stick together (honestly I don't remember, was concentrating on keeping the legs turning!) but the second rise sees the young Kyle charge up front and catching Justina with myself and Don about 100m behind. I couldn't see the rest of my start group from brief glances, but it was at this point that 4 riders (from the group let off after ours) climb past like I was standing still. I see Kyle jump onto the back of them and yell some words of encouragement. He obviously didn't hear me, because he was dropped soon after. Myself and Don also pass Justina finally.

At this point in time I would like to take a minute to thank my sponsor Monster Energy Drink (consumed hastily before the race), without which I would normally be in the 5th circle of hell by now. Getting to the top and my only limit is the amount of O2 I can suck into my ill-prepared lungs. So now there's about 5 km to go of small ups and downs, Don works on the front to catch Kyle - letting me take the reins when we do.

So now there's 3 of us, and looking back sees a small group of maybe 5 riders on our tail. I'm sure we're all hurting trying to keep the pace up, I feel like I have enough left to keep them at bay but not enough if it comes to a sprint. Suddenly I spot the traffic sign! There's only a couple hundred meters left! Don starts to push and yells at me to give him a challenge, no one was more surprised than me when I leap up and start pounding out the Watts. Well maybe Don was because he stopped mid-yell and had to really concentrate on matching my sprint. Side-by-side and the line in sight, I get him by about half a wheel. I'm stoked! 5th place! (at the time I thought I was second because I lost count of how many passed me, altitude sickness maybe?)

So, onto next week: Dog Hill Road on the 9th June (course map)
10.7km lap
A = 7 laps = 74.9km
B = 6 laps = 64.2km
C = 5 laps = 53.5km
D = 4 laps = 42.8km
E = 3 laps = 32.1km
Registrations from 1pm, racing from 2pm.

I've also gone and signed myself up for the Pickering Brook Series hosted by Midland CC, first event of three this Sunday, early-bird registrations end tonight so check out the Cycling WA site for details and signups.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 pm

You rode a nice race Mark.

LOL - Justina thought she was only allowed to ride with riders in her grade (as per standard club races) and so didn't want to jump onto a group and cheat.

I think the Lady on the Cervelo may hand out some pain in the coming weeks!!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 am

Doghill at Baldivis tomorrow boy's and girls.

Looks like a fun day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 pm

wizzfizz wrote: I've also gone and signed myself up for the Pickering Brook Series hosted by Midland CC, first event of three this Sunday, early-bird registrations end tonight so check out the Cycling WA site for details and signups.

what grade you planning on riding?