Is it okay to follow somebody in MTBO?

Bentnose

Is it okay to follow somebody in MTBO?

Postby Bentnose » Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 am

I was doing mountain bike orienteering last weekend and the navigation wasn't going so well. The eventual winner caught up with me around half distance and I followed him for a couple of checkpoints, having no trouble keeping up with him, he just reads maps better than I do. I then felt a bit self concious about just following somebody and decided to go a different way, got lost and ended up losing 10 minutes in the last half of the event coming home fourth; it would have been an easy second if I'd just followed the leader home with just a 4 minute deficit instead of 14. I don't know if anyone else here does MTBO, but would you consider it okay to just follow somebody if it is the faster option home and you can stay with them?
No signature

trojam

Re: Is it okay to follow somebody in MTBO?

Postby trojam » Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Its up to you and what type of person you want to be.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 pm

1: It depends on whether the other guy knows where he's going
2: It depends on whether it's in the spirit of the rules

If the answer is "no" to _either_ of the above, I wouldn't do it.

Where's the achievement in cheating?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't think its considered 100% cheating, he's going where I'm going anyway so it could be hard to argue, it could be just you who would know, but it wouldn't be in the spirit of the rules as they send us all off at different times for a reason, the guy did know where he was going though, I had pretty much no clue what was going on, the map was just a spider web of tracks, the faster I went the more spidery it seemed. I have done score events were you all take off at the same time and then spent the entire race with another bloke though I wasn't following him maybe he was following me? Maybe the bloke who I was following on Saturday didn't realise I was following him for the couple of checkpoints that I did. Probably better off not purposely following somebody.
No signature

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Never done MTBO but I did a fair bit of it on foot as a teen. Isn't the challenge in navigation the main reason for entering these events?

Maybe it's me? I've never been a particularly competitive sort of bloke.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Thu May 03, 2012 9:43 pm

The danger is that they don't know where they're going or could even be on a different course.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 am

I knew who this bloke was, he was definately on the same course as me and I know he navigates amazingly well. This was a sprint race, 15 checkpoints in 5 kilometrers (took me nearly 40 minutes), so things get a bit hectic, on a longer race when I get to stretch my legs a bit more, I wouldn't want to follow anybody. The thing I find is when I know I'm on the same course as somebody else it can sometimes become a bit difficult not to follow somebody part of the way. Quite often I'll overtake someone, make a slight mistake and then be overtaking that person again and again and after a while i'll end up in a position were I'm basically following them. What can happen then is, I don't like following people so I go off down some alternate route and end up losing heaps of time. I enjoy MTBO, but I'm not particularily good at it.
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Bentnose wrote: it could be just you who would know, but it wouldn't be in the spirit of the rules
There's your answer.

You would know. Isn't the reason for engaging in these pursuits the challenge and the acquisition of a set of skills? If you know, then you're defeating yourself by cheating.

I doubt there's any serious money in it. If there is money or other reward in it and you cheat to get an advantage, you've just sold your integrity very cheaply.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Don't worry, I'm not in the habit of following people, just the opportunity came along, it doesn't very often and I didn't do it, apart from a few minutes, just wondering what other peoples thoughts were on it, which I'd say is a bit fat no. And there are no prizes in MTBO, its a very niche sport.
No signature