Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

heanous

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby heanous » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

I used to think that, but recently i've been going up to the lookout at Jollys and quite frankly don't feel the need to go to the village as i don't need water or scones.

Its an great view at Jollys, and, there is heaps of room for a group to 'regroup' after the climb for a chat.

Great ride up there this morning, mist hanging around, and relatively cool after the rain - perfect.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 am

What an amazing ride! It's great feeling remote in the bush and rainforest - nice getaway from the city!

It was a very wet day yesterday, but couldn't put off the ride as I was looking forward to it all week :) went up nebo road from the gap and came down mt glorious road.. still down to one lane with the automatic lights. Didn't make it all the way up to glorious.. that can be saved for a sunny day 8)

Coming down settlement rd to get onto waterworks rd there is a descent with a left turn.. I highly recommend not doing this in the wet. My mate and I nearly had a heart attack thinking we'd slide out into oncoming traffic :shock:

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Did Nebo for the first time on Easter Monday. None of the guys I usually ride with are adventurous enough to do any climbing rides or long distances so thought I'd give it a go myself and had a blat .... The downside is I didn't get all the way to the village as I was a bit restricted on time but was only about 8km out from it looking at the garmin data.
So off I went, put the gopro on the bike and made a little movie of it as celebration of my adventure .... Looking forward to a dry week end to go all the way up Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjJDkyK ... ture=share

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 am

Great video!! The weather certainly turned it on for you Easter Monday 8)

How was the ride back down Mt Nebo road? From the other posts I gather you're not on the breaks too much? Just around the steeper corners where the road splits in two?

Hopefully we have more sun over the next few weekends! Can't wait to try Mount Glorious :twisted: .. this time with two gel packs or decent stop in one of the cafes.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 am

vbplease wrote:Great video!! The weather certainly turned it on for you Easter Monday 8)

How was the ride back down Mt Nebo road? From the other posts I gather you're not on the breaks too much? Just around the steeper corners where the road splits in two?

Hopefully we have more sun over the next few weekends! Can't wait to try Mount Glorious :twisted: .. this time with two gel packs or decent stop in one of the cafes.
Weather was magical indeed .... the corners weren't too bad at all I think but definitely want to watch for those sharp ones where the road does split yes .... by the first one it is evident that you need to slow down for the others for sure.
Keen to give Glorious a crack myself for sure ..... Happy cycling !

trainedmonkey

Postby trainedmonkey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:22 am

vbplease wrote: Coming down settlement rd to get onto waterworks rd there is a descent with a left turn.. I highly recommend not doing this in the wet. My mate and I nearly had a heart attack thinking we'd slide out into oncoming traffic :shock:
Been there, done that. Still have the scars.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:41 pm

On Easter Sunday, we went up Mt Glorious Rd and came down Mt Nebo Rd. I had to walk the last km up Glorious, as the slope there is well over 20% imo.
My buddy got up it ok though. We met some mates at Boombana who had mtb'ed up the boundary trail, then took off downhill.

I must say I think Nebo Rd has deteriorated a lot in the last 15 mths due to the rain. THere's more cracks and potholes, so coming down at speed needs to be thought about more carefully. Swinging out to dodge a pothole is likely to get you cleaned up by a motorbike etc.

As always, the earlier you get up and back, the better. I've thought of trying it during the week too, to avoid the day trippers.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

trainedmonkey wrote:Been there, done that. Still have the scars.
Hopefully that happened well away from oncoming cars??

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm

PawPaw wrote:On Easter Sunday, we went up Mt Glorious Rd and came down Mt Nebo Rd. I had to walk the last km up Glorious, as the slope there is well over 20% imo.
My buddy got up it ok though. We met some mates at Boombana who had mtb'ed up the boundary trail, then took off downhill.
Respect!! that must have been tough!
PawPaw wrote: I must say I think Nebo Rd has deteriorated a lot in the last 15 mths due to the rain. THere's more cracks and potholes, so coming down at speed needs to be thought about more carefully. Swinging out to dodge a pothole is likely to get you cleaned up by a motorbike etc.
I noticed this too.. it's very soft. I could actually feel it moving and cracking under my tires.

osrg

Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby osrg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Did Nebo/Glorious also for the first time on Easter Sunday. Left with 2 mates from Carina and went right through to the Summit at Glorious where the cafe's are.... Stopping for a water refill at the cafe's at Nebo.

Hardest thing physically I've ever attempted. 105kms all up, 4hr 34mins on the bike with well over half of that climbing. Was short on gel's, food and money.... A lesson learnt for next time.

As a few on here have mentioned, the road surface has deteriorated quite badly due to weather in places, but if sensibility is still in your vocabulary it's fine on trip back down.

I've been cycling since September last year, and haven't done a hell of a lot of climbing to be honest, but I'm keen to attempt that ride again in the near future....

Strava link to ride: http://app.strava.com/rides/6570705

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 pm

vbplease wrote:
PawPaw wrote:On Easter Sunday, we went up Mt Glorious Rd and came down Mt Nebo Rd. I had to walk the last km up Glorious, as the slope there is well over 20% imo.
Respect!! that must have been tough!
He's a tough guy, highly competitive 40+ B grade racer. Doubt I'll ride with him again, or get invited; as he's well above my level.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Gorgeous ride up Nebo this morning....lots of fog early on but cleared up fairly quickly. Lots of riders going and some down very early also. One of the guys broke 3 spoke when his tyre exploded whilst we were having a coffee ! Epic .... Luckily he has an understand wife and no doubt had a leisurely brunch with her up there after we left.
Absolutely love that climb. Managed 47:21 to mount jolly lookout, pretty happy with that

whichway

Postby whichway » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:50 am

What genius has allowed buses up this road on Sunday mornings. That road is not safe for full sized buses especially when they are overtaking cyclists.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 am

whichway wrote:What genius has allowed buses up this road on Sunday mornings. That road is not safe for full sized buses especially when they are overtaking cyclists.
We did cross some buses that we going up when we were on our way down.....it's already tight as it is on the corners that have that medium barriers when you climb .... a bus on your tail is not the best thing you'd want to have there for sure.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Another picture perfect morning today, although a little chilly at 6am.. gloves and arm warmers on order :)
Le Velo wrote:Managed 47:21 to mount jolly lookout, pretty happy with that
Whereabouts is the start marker? It took us about 57mins from the settlement road turn off to the lookout which is an improvement from last time.. Made it all the way to Mount Glorious and the cafes this time too. Although the last climb before the summit broke me.. had to stop and rest about 200m short. Can't wait for the next attempt :twisted:

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:50 pm

vbplease wrote:Another picture perfect morning today, although a little chilly at 6am.. gloves and arm warmers on order :)
Le Velo wrote:Managed 47:21 to mount jolly lookout, pretty happy with that
Whereabouts is the start marker? It took us about 57mins from the settlement road turn off to the lookout which is an improvement from last time.. Made it all the way to Mount Glorious and the cafes this time too. Although the last climb before the summit broke me.. had to stop and rest about 200m short. Can't wait for the next attempt :twisted:
Vbplease, all the segments are on the strava and unsure of where the stop / start section is but seems to have a few, even a TT section to Jolly lookout

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Le Velo wrote:Vbplease, all the segments are on the strava and unsure of where the stop / start section is but seems to have a few, even a TT section to Jolly lookout
Thanks for the tip! I've joined Strava and uploaded my activities from Garmin Connect. It's so much better!! and no more wondering where the start/stop points are ;)

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Wed May 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Start of the Nebo climb is from bus depot.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 27, 2012 12:05 pm

just did nebo/glorious for the first time. good ride. didn't go hard. I did just nebo a few weeks ago and enjoyed it - went harder. but riding companions today didn't allow it.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sun May 27, 2012 2:17 pm

It was absolutely freeeezing this morning up at Nebo :shock: In previous trips I've drunk two bottles before getting to Glorious, but today barely touched one.. partly because I wasn't thirsty, but more so my frozen arms weren't capable of reaching for the bottle :lol:

After glorious we followed Winn Rd out to Strathpine which was great! rolling hills that seemed to go forever.. Just wish my garmin battery lasted the distance :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 27, 2012 4:20 pm

vbplease wrote:It was absolutely freeeezing this morning up at Nebo :shock: In previous trips I've drunk two bottles before getting to Glorious, but today barely touched one.. partly because I wasn't thirsty, but more so my frozen arms weren't capable of reaching for the bottle :lol:
toes definitely sufferred. garmin said 7 degrees for quite a while

After glorious we followed Winn Rd out to Strathpine which was great! rolling hills that seemed to go forever.. Just wish my garmin battery lasted the distance :roll:[/quote]

mine didn't get below 90%. sum-tim-wong

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm

jasonc wrote: toes definitely sufferred. garmin said 7 degrees for quite a while
Which garmin do you have?
One that measures wind chill factor would be nice :wink: my estimate would be -10 on the fast descents in the shadows up the top :lol: or i'd settle for the 800 with a touch screen street directory.
jasonc wrote: mine didn't get below 90%. sum-tim-wong
I left with the battery pretty low.. left the charger at work :oops:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 27, 2012 7:26 pm

vbplease wrote:Which garmin do you have?
Edge 500
vbplease wrote:One that measures wind chill factor would be nice :wink: my estimate would be -10 on the fast descents in the shadows up the top :lol:

wind chill factor is part of the apparent temperature which is what you'd get out of the garmin

re: charging.

it's miniUSB. I just have it plugged into the computer when the stats go in the strava direction.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 28, 2012 6:50 am

jasonc wrote:
vbplease wrote:Which garmin do you have?
Edge 500
vbplease wrote:One that measures wind chill factor would be nice :wink: my estimate would be -10 on the fast descents in the shadows up the top :lol:

wind chill factor is part of the apparent temperature which is what you'd get out of the garmin

re: charging.

it's miniUSB. I just have it plugged into the computer when the stats go in the strava direction.
Chill factor has uses windspeed as one of it's primary inputs. The Garmin doesn't record that and it's a bit irrelevant on a bike anyway.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 28, 2012 7:06 am

and i've worked out I've left my yellow flathead screw driver at the start point of the ride too

gah