HELP on bike path info sumner park, QLD

Dedot

HELP on bike path info sumner park, QLD

Postby Dedot » Tue May 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi there,

Im planning to drop off my car at sumner park (spine st) sometime this week for service and I plan to ride home along the western freeway to fig tree pocket. I was wondering, is there a bike path entrance in bullockhead street, sumner park? What's the best way to get into the bike path around sumner park area? Any experience rider taking this route before?

Thanks for your help.

bprb

Re: HELP on bike path info sumner park, QLD

Postby bprb » Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm not 100% sure if there's an entrance directly to the bike path around Bullockhead Rd — I may have a chance to take a look tomorrow, and if so I'll report back. The BCC map in the post above is slightly out of date — to get across Sumners Rd you now have to ride along the footpath to the Dandenong Rd intersection (which is now lights rather than a roundabout) and press the button to cross at the lights. Other than that the bike path runs along the Western Freeway as shown on the BCC maps. Just exercise the usual caution crossing roads, and watch out for glass that's been washed off the freeway, but other than that the bike path is great.

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I ride that bike path occassionally along the Centenary, and while I haven't ridden off to Bullockhead St, pretty sure I remember seeing a sign for the Bullockhead St exit. So, yes, you can access bike path from Bullockhead St.

GH

Postby GH » Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 pm

There is an entry on to the bikeway from Bullockhead St as advised above but you have to go back to the Dandenong Rd/Sumners Rd intersection anyway so depending on where you are in Spine St it may be easier to just go up Spine and Sumners road back to the Centenary bikeway at the top of the hill.

bprb

Postby bprb » Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 pm

As per the two previous posts, there is an entry to the bike path at Bullockhead St. Do just look carefully both ways before swinging out onto the path, as the entry is at the bottom of a hill for riders coming from both directions, and bikes can be doing 45-50 km/h at that point. And I guess the same goes for riders using the path — keep in mind that one day someone could pull out in front of you at that point, and adjust your riding accordingly.