type of work place that you commute to?

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 pm

I was wondering one day on one of my early morning commutes what type of work places that cyclists are travelling to.

I usually see a couple of cyclists in the morning, but most are travelling the opposite way I am travelling, with either a direct route to the Perth CBD or to one of the train stations, where I assume that they catch a train to the CBD. I carry on to my work place which is a workshop in a commercial / industrial area and only see the occasional cyclist once in this area.

So my assumption is that most commuting cyclists work in a city CBD and most probably in an office type of workplace. Am I correct in assuming this ?

I would like to hear from others what sort of place they are travelling to or am I the only tradie on a bike ? :D

ColinOldnCranky

Re: type of work place that you commute to?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 pm

I ride to a large city office, head office for a state government department. We have excellent end-of-trip facilities including many many lockers purchased here and there from fire-sales etc.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am

I work in an office in Parramatta. Part of the appeal in riding to work is that there's not a lot of car parking around and public transport is slow - I can ride Berowra to Parramatta in the same time as the train, door to door, though I typically drive 3/4 of the way and ride the rest. My office has a secure underground carpark which has space for bikes, as well as change rooms etc.

Being a tradie on a bike would be interesting. Do you have to cart many tools around?

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 am

I own/manage a factory with my brother and I ride to work. One of my employees rides to work too. Quite a few factory workers in our area ride to work.

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 pm

i ride to to my kitchen in Crawley, Nedlands...where i occupy myself with food and food ideas every day! :D i love my bike and love my work! :wink:
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I ride to an office, located in close to CBD suburbs, where I use the time to rest and recover until my afternoon ride home

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat May 12, 2012 12:49 am

University just on the other side of town for me, pretty obvious it is Melbourne Uni.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 am

I don't ride everyday as client commitments prohibit me somewhat. When I can I ride to a workshop in Willetton

A_P

Postby A_P » Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm

I commute to two different hospitals on the gold coast. Neither of them caters particularly well for any one who doesn't drive to work.
Considering that one of them has just undergone a major expansion its a pretty poor effort in my view.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm

i ride to a factory

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun May 13, 2012 6:28 pm

A_P wrote:I commute to two different hospitals on the gold coast. Neither of them caters particularly well for any one who doesn't drive to work.
Considering that one of them has just undergone a major expansion its a pretty poor effort in my view.
From what my wife has told me from an internal email, the uni hospital is supposed to have good facitities, and Robina (where she is) should be getting them built afterwards, then she will have no excuse not to ride as we only live 5km from the hospital.
As far as the hospital in southport, No facilities as such but I'm the only one that uses the bike racks at the Aussie fair staff car park, so there is some security to chain it up (but being southport I'm not sure security is much help)

So I ride to retail hell (but I only work 2 days a week)

argon_18

Postby argon_18 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:37 pm

I ride to Brisbane cbd. Small 4 level building and my company is over 2 floors. Lock up the bikes in the shared carpark. We have 1 shower.... That doesn't get hot till about the 5th person. Can hang all the clothes and keep all toiletries in there too. I thought cold water would be annoying, but it's not too bad to freshen up after the ride.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon May 14, 2012 7:33 pm

I’m a forklift driver at a factory in an industrial estate 8)
2012 Oppy A4

Max

Postby Max » Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I haven't cycle commuted in eons. But when I do, it's to a factory. I work in the office area.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Chef

Postby Chef » Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 pm

I ride to an office, in a kitchen, in a racecourse...

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 am

gretaboy wrote:I ride to an office, located in close to CBD suburbs, where I use the time to rest and recover until my afternoon ride home
I like that attitude!! Good to see you have your priorities right..

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 pm

I ride to an office in the brisbane CBD. I'm a computer programmer, basically. Actual title is ridiculous and pretentious.

We've got a secure cage for bikes in the basement carparks, and there are showers and lockers and clothes drying racks etc. can't complain.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

tmurray

Postby tmurray » Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm

I commute to a suburban vet hospital. My bike lives in our isolation cage when it's empty, otherwise in the back kennel room.
I ride through a light industrial area and I'd say you're right that few tradies cycle (and those that do seem to cycle short distances without helmets or lights, if you'll pardon the assumptions).
The first part of my ride is into the city and there are loads of other cyclists, the second half is out of the city and there aren't a lot of people doing it. But heaps going in. So I agree, I think it's an office worker / uni student thing mostly.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

I ride to a TAFE campus very close to home. I visit other campuses and often store my bike in whoever's office I'm visiting on the day, but at my main campus I take my commuter and make sure I chain it to the railings near the library. I have noticed a few more bikes parking there in recent weeks, which is a good sign.

Be loud and proud people; "If he can do it, so can I".

westab

Postby westab » Wed May 16, 2012 7:25 am

I commute to work in a factory in a light industrial area. I work both in and out of an office (spending about 80% there and 20% visiting suppliers and on the shop floor).

My workplace is good to ride to as they let me park my bike behind my desk and there are showers and lockers for anyone who requires them. Mind you being an office worker I do get last dibs on the lockers. When I started here I had to wait for 12months for a locker - or a big deal my boss understood at the time and cleared space in the top of one of the filing cabnets for me to put cloths in. :D

If we have customers in our office there are generally two bikes parked in the office - most people these day think it is good and comment they wish they could do it. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 pm

i do about a 17k commute each way to my work to Volkswagen where i work as a tech. upside is when its time to go home my legs are still warmed up from constantly moving all day i can smash it home :).

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am

I commute to a university. It's a nice 10ks on the flat by the river and I have a spectacular array of EOT facilities. These things conspire to form a very large percentage of the reason I stay there.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

I ride to an office at the edge of the CBD in Melbourne's Docklands.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Orion

Postby Orion » Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 pm

I work at a small regional university campus. It's about a 12km ride each way. It's a nice ride after I get off the main drag and go along back streets.
EOT facilities are basic. I lock my bike to a post at the building where I work as the bike racks are real secure. There is a shower and that's about it.
I am the only person at my workplace who rides although I receive many encouraging comments from other staff.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 pm

When I was working as a tradie I used to ride as often as I could but the guy I was working for was very anti bike (Imagine that in the country.....).

Now that I am working for the Council as a garden gnome, I can ride every day and I have a very secure area to leave my bike and in a couple of months there will be shower facilities which will come in handy.

I only ride in 3 times a week as the other two days I have kids sport etc. I tend to leave early a couple of times a week and turn a 10km each way trip into a pre work traning ride of about 50km.

I love my new job!