Giant P-SL0 Wheels

PawPaw

Re: Giant P-SL0 Wheels

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 03, 2012 4:12 pm

eeksll wrote:I am not a engineer in this space, but if I understand correctly what 40Nm means,
40Nm = 4.1 kg meters
so that is 4.1kg weight on the end of a 1 meter long spanner
to me that sounds like nothing.
who uses a 1 metre spanner? It's 16kg on the end of my 10" wrench.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm

PawPaw wrote:
eeksll wrote:I am not a engineer in this space, but if I understand correctly what 40Nm means,
40Nm = 4.1 kg meters
so that is 4.1kg weight on the end of a 1 meter long spanner
to me that sounds like nothing.
who uses a 1 metre spanner? It's 16kg on the end of my 10" wrench.
true I dont use a 1 m spanner but as you have extrapolated your self, its about 16kg on a 10" wrench, which still isnt that much, especially with the lockring. You have easy weight you can put on it, ie put the wheel on the ground, wrench out horizontal and you can rest some body weight onto the end of the wrench.

I didn't really state it in my previous post, but my point was that I am guestimating that my initial tightening of the lockring bolt well and above exceeded the 40Nm torque and I still get my notches on the freehub.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 pm

I use a torque wrench, and I don't feel 40Nm feels anything like 16kg on a 10" wrench. It feels like more.
Shimano lockrings have that corrugated steel band on the inside that results in resistance and give, and repeat.
ANyway, your experience may differ.

brisrouleur

Postby brisrouleur » Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Bike store report is... 'perfectly normal for alloy free hub'

Got the file out last night and had to clean up the burs to be able to slide everything on easily. Will see what it looks like next time I pull it off.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Great...... :cry:
that means I've got an abnormal free hub or I am doing something wrong.

brisrouleur

Postby brisrouleur » Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm

PawPaw wrote:Great...... :cry:
Hub's probly fine. Maybe just pedal a bit harder and get tha powa down :lol: Sorry, just had to :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 08, 2012 8:18 pm

FWIW, i removed a cassette from a steel freehub on the weekend and it had some chew marks on it, though very minor. I think i've put around 2000k on that wheel, it would have been tightened up well but i do tend to mash pretty hard.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm

FrugalRouleur wrote:
PawPaw wrote:Great...... :cry:
Hub's probly fine. Maybe just pedal a bit harder and get tha powa down :lol: Sorry, just had to :wink:
Hey, I presume the 1200+ recorded peak watts I pumped out accelerating uphill would chewed some freehub.

stanzarallyman

Postby stanzarallyman » Fri May 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Actually, its the torque that will put the marks in the freehub and not power

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri May 11, 2012 5:14 pm

stanzarallyman wrote:Actually, its the torque that will put the marks in the freehub and not power
thats the way i understand it too, it is why trucks can produce such crazy amounts of torque but can't compete in the speed/drag race of a lesser torque higher powered race car.

Being rough with your gears is probably the most likely cause of the bites, ie changing gears when standing and you feel that ca-chnk.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri May 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Based on Power = torque * angular velocity

70 rpm = 163Nm
80 rpm = 143Nm

Anyone want to calculate how much a cassette lockring tensioned to 40Nm reduces the torque applied to the freehub?

tf2012

Postby tf2012 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 am

I just aquired a Giant P-SL0 wheelset, almost new, the lock ring was not tight enough on the cassette.
Very happy with the wheels though, sub 1600g wheelset, and they go with the latest design trend for a wide rim section for aero advantage. 16mm internal diameter/ 21 external. Very smooth and stiff, comfortable ride with new Rubino pro 3's... Looks great on my new Defy :-)

I did have some 'Aero' 30mm section wheels, but with a internal width of 13mm, even a 23c tire kind of bulges a bit. I wanted to run 25c for all my riding, so hunted down these Giant P-Sl0's. I believe the Shimano RS80/Ultegras also have a similar rim with and these have been proven to be more aero than a lot of 30mm section wheels. Another plus is the Giant's spokes are standard DT swiss aero blade spokes, so easier to service than other wheels I can think of, like Mavics..

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:17 pm

PawPaw wrote:Based on Power = torque * angular velocity

70 rpm = 163Nm
80 rpm = 143Nm

Anyone want to calculate how much a cassette lockring tensioned to 40Nm reduces the torque applied to the freehub?
Doing the lockring up properly binds the cassette pieces together so it hopefully moves as one piece ie. increases the contact area on the freehub.

If you don't do this, the individual cassette pieces can move a little which over time will chew into the freehub.

If cassette lockrings are done up with a torque wrench to the specified torque the damage that will happen do to an alloy freehub is minimal. You'll still get some marks but unlikely to ever be bad enough to cause failure. Trying to get this through to some people who've "done it up heaps tight by hand" is sometimes difficult and I'll include some shop mechanics in that.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 am

tf2012 wrote:I just aquired a Giant P-SL0 wheelset, almost new, the lock ring was not tight enough on the cassette.
Very happy with the wheels though, sub 1600g wheelset, and they go with the latest design trend for a wide rim section for aero advantage. 16mm internal diameter/ 21 external. Very smooth and stiff, comfortable ride with new Rubino pro 3's... Looks great on my new Defy :-)

I did have some 'Aero' 30mm section wheels, but with a internal width of 13mm, even a 23c tire kind of bulges a bit. I wanted to run 25c for all my riding, so hunted down these Giant P-Sl0's. I believe the Shimano RS80/Ultegras also have a similar rim with and these have been proven to be more aero than a lot of 30mm section wheels. Another plus is the Giant's spokes are standard DT swiss aero blade spokes, so easier to service than other wheels I can think of, like Mavics..
Yes the 23mm wide rims are becoming more popular. Note that the current Shimano rim widths are 20.8mm (both RS80 and Ultegra). Their claimed aero advantage is the low spoke count on the front wheel (just 16 spokes). The new 11-speed Shimano wheels will come with 23mm wide versions.