Visiting Brisbane = Need to know some routes

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 pm

I am coming to Brisbane from the 20th to 25th of May for work and so that I dont miss out on any training I am bringing the bike.

I am staying in a hotel on George Street and was hoping the locals could point out some good route and coffee shops.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

elantra

Re: Visiting Brisbane = Need to know some routes

Postby elantra » Sat May 12, 2012 6:18 pm

jcjordan wrote:I am coming to Brisbane from the 20th to 25th of May for work and so that I dont miss out on any training I am bringing the bike.

I am staying in a hotel on George Street and was hoping the locals could point out some good route and coffee shops.
Sounds good. Will send message.
Steve.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 am

G'day James, would like to meet up. I have some suggestions for coffee shops and routes that I can show you around or at least suggest. Will talk on PM.

Cheers
Brendan

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 am

Since you'll be staying in George Street you will be perfectly located for the river loop. Google "Brisbane River ride" and you'll find a bunch of references to route maps. There are a few variations in routed but distance will be around 35km.
Let me know what hotel you will be in and I can direct you onto the riverside bike path. I live in the CBD just off George Street so the area is familiar to me.
The normal practice in Brisbane is to ride before work. The mornings are cool now so bring arms, legs and gilet.
Bunch rides leave La Dolce Vita at Park Road Milton - be there before 6am. There are also bunch rides leaving from SouthBank. Coffee stop is the Espresso Garage in Grey Street.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm

RonK wrote:Since you'll be staying in George Street you will be perfectly located for the river loop. Google "Brisbane River ride" and you'll find a bunch of references to route maps. There are a few variations in routed but distance will be around 35km.
Let me know what hotel you will be in and I can direct you onto the riverside bike path. I live in the CBD just off George Street so the area is familiar to me.
The normal practice in Brisbane is to ride before work. The mornings are cool now so bring arms, legs and gilet.
Bunch rides leave La Dolce Vita at Park Road Milton - be there before 6am. There are also bunch rides leaving from SouthBank. Coffee stop is the Espresso Garage in Grey Street.
thanks for the info.

I fortunatly have one member who is meeting up with me on Monday morning and is going to show me a couple of good routes.

Whats the traffic like in and around the area I am staying? I tend to avoid any sort of bike or shared path like the plague as my perfered speeds tend to be well above the 15km/hr which make these safe to ride on.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 20, 2012 5:33 pm

jcjordan wrote:Whats the traffic like in and around the area I am staying? I tend to avoid any sort of bike or shared path like the plague as my perfered speeds tend to be well above the 15km/hr which make these safe to ride on.
I never ride on bike paths. George Street is right in the CBD so it's busy. Many CBD streets are one-way so it can be a pain to get around them. To ride the river loop you have to ride along the Coronation Drive reach of the river, either on the Bicentennial Bikeway or on Coronation Drive. Coro Drive is ok at 5:30-6:00 am but very busy once the commuter traffic picks up. Once off Coro Drive you're on mostly back streets so traffic is OK.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...