Mountain bike all round tyre

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sun May 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I did a quick search and couldn't really find a good all rounder. Can anyone point me in the direction. I like to do a bit of downhill stuff but at the same time I like to do some hilly stuff as well. any help or guidance appreciated.
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

antipodean

Re: Mountain bike all round tyre

Postby antipodean » Sun May 13, 2012 4:01 pm

For what bike?

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sun May 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Merida matts 20md
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Does it have to be the same both ends? My go-to combo is Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 on the front teamed with a Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 on the back, both UST.

Currently running a Nobby Nic 2.25 on the front and Racing Ralph 2.1 rear, but the NN scares me sometimes. Sometimes it's very good, other times not and it's hard to predict when that will be. When this set wears out I'll likely go back to Maxxis. NN knobs are too tall it seems for hardpack, and fold under with too much sideways force, especially the ones on the edge when you've got it cranked over. When it lets go, you don't get it back like with the Ignitor.

Larsen rolls well, great braking traction on the rear and it climbs well too. Ignitor rolls adequately on the front (you don't have as much weight on it as the rear), and it's grippy in a variety of conditions from loose-over-hardpack to moderate mud. A great control tyre.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon May 14, 2012 12:45 am

I couldn't stand the Ignitor on the front of my bike - currently I have a crossmark on the front and an ignitor on the back. That solved one pernicious problem for me which was losing the back down the side of ruts on muddy sections - I am comfortable with the front sliding around a bit but the back with no grip was causing me problems with loss of momentum. The Ignitor on the rear solved that.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Have recently gone to 2.1 rocket ron on the front and a 2.1 ralph on the rear and love them. I swapped from 2.1 crossmarks F&R. have also tried both 2.1 and 2.35 ignitors on the front and found them a bit sketchy, less predictable than the crossmarks. Crossmarks fill up with mud real fast.

MTBer Max

Postby MTBer Max » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 am

Kenda Nevegals are great all round tires. They look a bit like a downhill tire but they roll faster than one.

statix

Postby statix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 am

I thought nevegals were a great alround tyre, then I tried Maxxis Ardents... Awesome tyres they inspire confidence! 3 months of riding and they still look like new, grip like anything and I havent stacked once even doing some high speed gnarly stuff!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Maxxis Highrollers in 2.5in UST. Had mine on for over 1000kms and they don't even look worn yet.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:07 pm

statix wrote:I thought nevegals were a great alround tyre, then I tried Maxxis Ardents... Awesome tyres they inspire confidence! 3 months of riding and they still look like new, grip like anything and I havent stacked once even doing some high speed gnarly stuff!
I have these on my new bike, great on the front but slippery on the back in dry powdery stuff at ourimbah today.

limetang

Postby limetang » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm

If this thread is being resurrected, then I should chime in and say how in love I am with the Continental Mountain King 2 (2.2)
Chucked this on the front of my Anthem to replace an old Ignitor, has been sweet from the very first ride.
Looks too knobbly to be fast, but goes fine in the dry hard stuff too. Worth a look if you're in the market!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Maxis Ardent 2.25 up front with Maxxis Ikon 2.2 out back. This is for summer riding. Would swap Ikon for another Ardent if riding in wet/muddy conditions.