Parking your Bike at UQ

Brenchen

Parking your Bike at UQ

Postby Brenchen » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, is it generally 'safe' to park your bike in the open bike racks at UQ during the evening? I have a full carbon bike, and I am more or less worried about it being scratched or knocked and have the carbon damaged, as the repairs and replacements are rather expensive.

I am not part of UQ by any means, therefore I can't use the covered bike parkings, so would anyone familiar with UQ be able to tell me how 'safe' is it to have my bike parked outside? Or should I just bring it everywhere I go, or at least within my FOV at any time?

Thanks
Brendan

RonK

Re: Parking your Bike at UQ

Postby RonK » Mon May 14, 2012 6:12 pm

I wouldn't leave my bike there unattended. Keep it in sight if you can.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Brenchen wrote:I'm just wondering, is it generally 'safe' to park your bike in the open bike racks at UQ during the evening?
Not if you want to keep it. Buy a beater to ride to there.

argon_18

Parking your Bike at UQ

Postby argon_18 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

I had my gt mountain bike stolen near uq years ago. I know of another 2 that got knicked while I was there too.

Your choice

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon May 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow, it's that unsafe!! That's a surprise! I guess I'll have to find alternate ways to get to and from there during the evenings apart from public transport.
Brendan

argon_18

Parking your Bike at UQ

Postby argon_18 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:14 pm

When I rode into Uni (on the replacement specialized) I kept it with me or locked it up in doors close to where I was in class. Although easier for me as I was in a studio environment.

If you do take it in, keep it close and well locked up.

Of course YMMV

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Tue May 15, 2012 4:36 am

argon_18 wrote:When I rode into Uni (on the replacement specialized) I kept it with me or locked it up in doors close to where I was in class. Although easier for me as I was in a studio environment.

Of course YMMV
I've asked the securities, they said since I am not a UQ student or staff, I can not get one of those dedicated indoor facilities for locking up bikes. Do you know of anywhere that allows people like me to lock up our bikes in a safe and secure area in UQ? Even if we need to pay a small fee?
Brendan

slarv

Postby slarv » Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Brenchen wrote:
argon_18 wrote:When I rode into Uni (on the replacement specialized) I kept it with me or locked it up in doors close to where I was in class. Although easier for me as I was in a studio environment.

Of course YMMV
I've asked the securities, they said since I am not a UQ student or staff, I can not get one of those dedicated indoor facilities for locking up bikes. Do you know of anywhere that allows people like me to lock up our bikes in a safe and secure area in UQ? Even if we need to pay a small fee?

Some of the resedential colleges have bike sheds for students, some of them under utilised. You could try approaching them (or send an email), be very polite, explain your situation, and offer to pay a fee. They will probably turn you away but you might get lucky with one.

Regards,

Slarv