Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

PawPaw

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 pm

nickobec, I was going to originally get 38mm's (lighter and less hassle with valve extensions), but will be using these for racing, and 50mm Zipp 404's are popular up here.
Plus "Smart" from FarSport says the 50mm are the most popular wheel sold to Australia.

These wheels all seem to have the basalt brake rim surface spec.

FWIW, I phoned FarSport on Friday to see if Smart (the guy I'd been emailing via sales7@farsports.cn) actually existed...and someone put me through to him. Sounded like a girl, but he laughed and said no, then sent me this pic of himself.

I realize this could be a pic of anyone, but thought I'd share.
His email communication has been very good, but his language was a little rough.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 am

pawpaw I intend to race on them too, but went for the 38mm as they are lighter less and pretentious for an E grader :-)

Currently racing on my training wheelset which includes a 630gm PowerTap Elite+ hub, great for information, but my current rear wheel weighs more than the new wheelset.

Still those wheels are not hard to push around a flat course even attached to a steel training bike. But in a couple of weeks time I have a race, that requires me to climb a lot more than I am use to or like, so the lighter the better.

Been dealing with Johnson via sales3@farsports.cn all very easy, email replies have been pretty quick. Only odd bit was the email address for the paypal account was @gmail address, but a quick look at the RBR thread put my mind at rest.

Back to racing, a dutch friend raced a couple of crits in Melbourne in January commented he was the only one racing on "normal" wheels, everybody else was racing on carbon.

Interest in which frames your friend got from FarSports, looking for a stiff BB30 frame for a crit bike later this year. The RBR threads on frames are not that informative as the wheels thread and generally cover Hong fu and Deng Fu

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 am

nickobec, can relate to lighter wheels on hilly races. My current and only set are the original bontragers that came with my 4.7 Trek Madone = 1.92kg!
I raced Lakeside Sat which has a big hill, and did a hilly speedy group ride yesterday, and a set >500g lighter would have made a tangible difference.

Nevertheless, as I kept telling my mates when I was getting dropped on the hills, "15 water bottles"; the no. of 700ml bottles that equal my excess body fat.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm

nickobec wrote:Interest in which frames your friend got from FarSports, looking for a stiff BB30 frame for a crit bike later this year. The RBR threads on frames are not that informative as the wheels thread and generally cover Hong Sloppy Kiss and Deng Sloppy Kiss
Just heard from my mate re the frames. I misunderstood him, as he got the wheels from FarSports and the frames from Dengfu via Ali Baba using Paypal.
FM-028 which is his current frame, and FM-015 (which I think he bought for his partner).

Next time I see him (on teh weekend) I'll ask which bottom bracket and any build issues. think he got BB30.
He is an A grade racer and has done a lot of hard k's on it and he's still happy. I watched him accelerate to 100kph down a 30% decline a few weeks ago. You've got to trust your frame for that.

http://dengfu.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html

edit: I just paid via paypal for the 50mm clinchers. Will post progress reports.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2012 3:43 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ooooooh, just checked out the farsports page and notices something really exciting. Just when I'd almost stopped myself and said that the money is going to the better frame instead ...

23mm wide carbon clinchers, that are either 38 or 50mm deep.

They are listed as 16 - 28 holes, 390g +/- 10g, 3K/UD weave, with the part no. being FSJ-50, and are listed in their cyclocross section.

As a wheelset with 20/24 spoke Novatech disc hubs, is 1310 +/- 30g for rim brake hubs, and 1420g for disc brake hubs using CX Ray spokes . :shock:

Yummy. Some emails heading off to China ......

Standby to standby
Last edited by MichaelB on Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

:( In looking closer, webpage for the wheels states Tubular, but the piccie on the wheelset & rim page looks a LOT like a clincher rim ?

Have fired off the email anyway seeking clarification :(

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Aren't they tubs?
I asked the same question last week and they told me they have 23mm... tubs.
Hard to tell if tub or clincher from the angles.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Crawf wrote:Aren't they tubs?
I asked the same question last week and they told me they have 23mm... tubs.
Hard to tell if tub or clincher from the angles.
Bugger. Got all excited too ......

Oh well, money stays in bank for now ....

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:Oh well, money stays in bank for now ....
Unless you want 30mm wide clinchers - http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/502344 MTB 29er rims

Excited my wheels arrived in Sydney this morning, fingers crossed here in Perth in my hot little hands tomorrow

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm excited for you too Nic.... :)
Could you weight them before putting on rim tape? and piccies? Guess mine will get here mid next week.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Nicobec, Farsports also do a 23mm wide clincher, but it's only 23mm deep.

What I would like is a 38mm deep x 23mm wide clincher that is stiff and weighs 400g. Not too much to ask is it .... :D

I have found a set of light disc hubs that are 130mm wide at the rear for a good price, and thanks to Crawf, a good supply source of bladed spokes.

So just waiting on a rim to suit ...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 am

What do you think the chances are of these 38mm CC rims coming in at close to 350g each? I reckon they'll be 400-420g.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am

Emailed farsports asking about their 29er clincher wheelsets. My commuter is a CX bike with a 135mm rear spacing and disk brakes but the stock wheels are very heavy and a bit blah, it's a bit of a wank on my part but I might save nearly 1kg on the wheels alone by going to these carbon ones and I'm sure they'd still be strong enough (I'm a light guy and only ride on paths/roads).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Crawf wrote:What do you think the chances are of these 38mm CC rims coming in at close to 350g each? I reckon they'll be 400-420g.
Given that their narrow width 38mm CC's are currently 430 +/- 10g, not a hope. Their 38mm light tubular is 300g though.

gabrielle260

Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Andrew, please let us know how they respond as I am looking for 29er wheels for a build I am doing,
Thanks,
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 15, 2012 1:35 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Emailed farsports asking about their 29er clincher wheelsets. My commuter is a CX bike with a 135mm rear spacing and disk brakes but the stock wheels are very heavy and a bit blah, it's a bit of a wank on my part but I might save nearly 1kg on the wheels alone by going to these carbon ones and I'm sure they'd still be strong enough (I'm a light guy and only ride on paths/roads).
Smart from Farsports is indeed responsive, and here is the latest email re some more info about their 29er wheelset and/rims for 23mm width and 23mm depth ;

The price for 29er MTB rims is 173USD/Pcs and weight is 370g+/-10g/Pcs.
The shipping cost is 38USD/Set to Australia via EMS.

Regarding the 29er wheels with DISC brake,details as following to reference:
---Rims: full carbon 29er mtb clincher rims(28/28holes,no brake surface)
---Hubs: Novatec MTB hubs(D711/712)
---Spokes: Sapim Cx-ray
---Nipples: Sapim SILS
---Total weight: 1450g+/-30g
---Price: 595USD/Set
---Shipping cost: 65USD to Australia via EMS
Reasonably light at 370g for the rims.

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Crawf wrote:I think i'm pretty qualified to comment on the China gear. My stable consists of...

4 x carbon frames; fm028, fm015 (GLF's), cx disc (commuter) & 29er
1 x ti custom road frame; my fav - love it (also had a custom ti belt frame now sold)
3 x carbon clincher wheel-sets; 38mm & 50mm

Suppliers i've used and would recommend: yishun, dengfu, hongfu, flyxii.

One wheel-set suffered delam under downhill braking, that's the one thing to watch out for for heavier riders.
All the frames are great, I don't come across many who give their bikes a testing like I do so I recommend them, not much else to say, feel free to ask any questions...
Ballpark price on the FM015? Would like to upgrade the wifes alloy frame but she doesn't ride enough to justify the cost of an all new carbon bike or brand name frame.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Crawf, I am interested in all the details you want to share. Was the delam on a basalt rim surface? and approx k's before delam?

I note Dengfu cc wheelsets are heavier but cheaper than Farsports. My mate is very happy with his 015 and 028 frames, though I think there's newer models out now with different numbers.

Can anyone tell me how much vertical play you get with a frame with an integrated seat post?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Magnum9 wrote: Ballpark price on the FM015? Would like to upgrade the wifes alloy frame but she doesn't ride enough to justify the cost of an all new carbon bike or brand name frame.
It was a while ago so can't exactly remember, probably less than $500 delivered now as there are newer frames out now and the 015 is considered somewhat old now.

PawPaw wrote:Crawf, I am interested in all the details you want to share. Was the delam on a basalt rim surface? and approx k's before delam?

I note Dengfu cc wheelsets are heavier but cheaper than Farsports. My mate is very happy with his 015 and 028 frames, though I think there's newer models out now with different numbers.

Can anyone tell me how much vertical play you get with a frame with an integrated seat post?
Again, the wheelset is about 2yrs old now and never had the basalt, just a raised strip. They were pretty new at the time and had less than 1500km on them. Happened while riding in the Sunny Coast Hinterland, nothing to huge just rolling hills. I remember I had just installed a new set of supplied pads too. I was very mindful of the delam so was always looking after them but it still happened, my weight was 85kg.

RE the ISP, it's never entered my mind on my 028, so I guess that's an indication of how much play I have ever noticed.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Just got my quote for the 29er wheels, same as previously posted $655 delivered. Tempted, I'm thinking about it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I gotta stop reading this thread. :(
My commuter does not need new wheels.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I gotta stop reading this thread. :(
I'm only here wondering what you're doing here. Yes, you're probably right. Your commuter doesn't need new wheels. Especially crabon ones. :wink:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 am

Crawf wrote:RE the ISP, it's never entered my mind on my 028, so I guess that's an indication of how much play I have ever noticed.
Hmmm...sorry, my poor explanation. By play I mean how much can the saddle be moved up/down to facilitate better bike fit?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 am

PawPaw wrote:
Crawf wrote:RE the ISP, it's never entered my mind on my 028, so I guess that's an indication of how much play I have ever noticed.
Hmmm...sorry, my poor explanation. By play I mean how much can the saddle be moved up/down to facilitate better bike fit?

AFAIK, most of the clamp thingies will give you about 30mm, any lower and you'll have to get the hacksaw out.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 am

PawPaw wrote:
There is no adjustment there, once you chop you cant go back, although I guess it's possible you could reinsert a chopped off seatpost section back onto the topper to raise it back up, but probably not the best/safest solution.
With mine, I chopped it bit by bit till I was comfortable with it, certainly a bit finicky to initially setup.