Todays rides

rockviewau

Re: Todays rides

Postby rockviewau » Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm

while u poor buggers have been freezing, its been a lovely 30 up here in darwin. the humidity is dropping and riding was pleasant today.... i did 27kms from work to home. nice run, but the first 17 is all road and very coarse road surface.. the last 10 is on path which is smooth as and lovely :)
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Tre wet on the way home tonight. Saturday has a chance of snow at 6am though - that could get interesting.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I can't ride till Sunday, girls are away for a few days and I have the three boys to look after. This driving stuff is killing me!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 pm

I have just spent a week in Brisbane for work and the riding has been fantastic. Especially considering the weather that i will be returning to in Canberra.

Pity I have to go to Sydney next week, no way I am taking my bike with me to that deathtrap.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri May 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Time: 5:24pm
Temp: 5.2
Apparent Temp: -5.3
Wind: 48km/h
Gusts: 54km/h

Not looking forward to the ride home :(

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 pm

makes me worship the 30 odd degrees and high humidity in Hong Kong today :P. A/C only goes down to 18C as well so can't even try simulate Canberra today :lol:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm

mezla wrote:Time: 5:24pm
Temp: 5.2
Apparent Temp: -5.3
Wind: 48km/h
Gusts: 54km/h

Not looking forward to the ride home :(
Did it on a SS mtb with a trailer, south to north. Was hateful.

twizzle

Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:28 pm

I was going to go for an early ride this morning... didn't wake up till 8:00... looked outside and went back to bed.
But I did go out to the shed this afternoon, and the cross bike now has a front mudguard. Given the forecast, I'm going to need it this week.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 pm

I rode to work today. had to swipe a finger across my glasses every 20 seconds for the first 5 kms. couldn't see a thing through the fog/mist and my own wet glasses (i had my lights on so no-one would run over me). got up to just near the lodge and pfffft... thud thud thud. quick change of a back flat as i started to get cold and on my way.

Hey speaking of - has Auskonrad come back to give us his product review of the seal skin gloves...?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 am

Yaay! for full length mud-guards. Now I just need a petrol engine for this afternoons forecast of 50-KPH WINDS! :evil:

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:50 pm

cp123 wrote:I rode to work today. had to swipe a finger across my glasses every 20 seconds for the first 5 kms. couldn't see a thing through the fog/mist and my own wet glasses (i had my lights on so no-one would run over me). got up to just near the lodge and pfffft... thud thud thud. quick change of a back flat as i started to get cold and on my way.

Hey speaking of - has Auskonrad come back to give us his product review of the seal skin gloves...?
Yep I took the Rudy Projects off and shoved them down my jacket as I couldnt see with them on. I have a set of seal skin lobster claws - Wiggle have them in xlarge only - I have only worn them a couple of mornings here as I find that unless it is well into the minus they are too hot. I have a set of ninja ice freezer gloves that I got from Seears workwear - now you know - and find them very good to moderate minuses. As a positive they sell for 12$ and have a rubberised palm and finger grips as they are for cold material handling so good grip.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

twizzle

Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 pm

What's "moderate" minus?

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 pm

cp123 wrote:Hey speaking of - has Auskonrad come back to give us his product review of the seal skin gloves...?
I've got them. Had them for a fair few weeks now and have done some serious kilometers in them in the really bad stuff and the really cold we were/are having.

Verdict is... while this is from my perspective, they are good yes - but probably wont do for -2 or -3 downwards. Pretty good sweet spot for -2 to about 6 degrees. Not too expensive so I say it's a good buy... but probably not for the rest of the really harsh winter we are expecting. More like day gloves for the winter, need a whole other set for the 6am bunches etc (which is the perspective I'm talking from - up and riding at 5:30am to make it to start times).

They are hard to pull off sometimes, and I've already broken the link the inner glove has with the outer, making inserting your hand difficult. The cuff is probably the best made part. Thick cuff and good velcro action really seals them shut and doesn't flay out.

I could probably do a better review, but I'm knackered.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm

thanks auskonrad.

i am quite comfortable in what i have now - but they're just wearing out. But -2 ish isn't good enough for me. Call me scabby (hey perhaps I am!) :lol: but I need to know my money isn't wasted. I think it was Twizzle (from memory?) that bought some winter gloves last year that failed miserably. I want something that i'm confident will keep my hands warm in -6 or so comfortably.

I would be tempted to buy Cruiserman's lobster gloves and use them each day, but am only size small in hands (nothing grows in the shade... :lol: ), but am tempted to go to sears and buy ice ninja gloves. http://www.ninjagloves.com/docs/ninja_icehtp.htm Cruiser - can you confirm this is them? for $12 I'd be happy to give them a go.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:28 am

Aaaaaaaa!!! It burns! It burns!

Lost on the bike path along Gininderra Creek between McKellar and Palmerston : two sets of fingers and any desire to ride a bicycle.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

I go home that way, I'll keep an eye out for them...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:30 am

-5.4 and sorry to say it guys I was toasty warm riding in this morning. :lol:

My old manky gloves must be a godsend because my hands were fine. Probably will go to sears though and get some ice ninja gloves as a new spare set. I'd rather lose $12 than $80 if they're crap...

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:42 pm

We rudely interrupt this talk of cold weather and missing fingers to talk about my ride on the weekend...

Ironman number two completed on Sunday in Cairns in a stunning 28 degrees. Tough swim through a retreating tide, another stunning ride up the coast road to Port Douglas and then a hard slog through the cane fields back to Cairns. A little slower than last year due to a dodgy stomach, dehydration and a type of cognitive armageddon that typically occurs at the halfway mark of an Ironman marathon. Got home in 12:18.

The TT bike is already hung up and I'm looking forward to joining the Vets for some spring road racing in a few months.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm

cp123 wrote:thanks auskonrad.

i am quite comfortable in what i have now - but they're just wearing out. But -2 ish isn't good enough for me. Call me scabby (hey perhaps I am!) :lol: but I need to know my money isn't wasted. I think it was Twizzle (from memory?) that bought some winter gloves last year that failed miserably. I want something that i'm confident will keep my hands warm in -6 or so comfortably.

I would be tempted to buy Cruiserman's lobster gloves and use them each day, but am only size small in hands (nothing grows in the shade... :lol: ), but am tempted to go to sears and buy ice ninja gloves. http://www.ninjagloves.com/docs/ninja_icehtp.htm Cruiser - can you confirm this is them? for $12 I'd be happy to give them a go.

Thats them OK the N100 without the rubber on the knuckle is what I got. 12$ well spent in my opinion.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 pm

twizzle wrote:What's "moderate" minus?
Moderate minus is to about -3 or apparent temp to -6-7 beyond that and the seal skin lobster claws become bearable. Please note that this is my experience only and your body temperature requirements may vary.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39 am

Nice one bpmhigh. You are a hard man. :!:

Gloves: SealSkinz UltraGrip Gloves - They do we very well down to about 0 (real). Anything past that, and I put thermal inner-gloves inside them. It's a perfect combo for Canberra IMO.

Riding:
Did an 83km 3.5-peaks ride yesterday (Stromlo, Black, Ainslie, 0.5 = Coppins). Was fun, except we cut it short at the end instead of rounding out the 100. Too bloody cold. Also... 39-25 is not an appropriate ratio for Black and Ainslie, i.e.: my knees hurt. :?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Twiz - The other week i coughed up to buy some Kathmandu ski gloves to use on the bike. I thought about the ninja gloves but never got out there, so I took a punt at the winter Kathmandu sale.

They are black and were approx $120 down to approx $80. I was bit sceptical but have ridden in them for the past week (including this morning) and would rate them as good. My hands haven't been cold at all. http://www.kathmandu.com.au//12538/Alpi ... Glove.html Just for what it's worth if you're still freezing.

I didn't want to waste my hard earned dosh on a pair that failed. Just looking at that link - i don't think the inside bit really does come out. hmmm... well, not on this pair i shouldn't think.... maybe it's not the same pair but looks pretty much like it. There's also a little pocket thingy that apparently you can buy a heat cube of some sort to shove in them, but i haven't used that.

DW260

Postby DW260 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 am

Great morning for a ride today.

Donned the Lycra and tackled Mt Ainslie and the Black Mountain from my Dunlop starting point. Crystal clear views from both peaks although the swirling winds coming down ainslie was a bit exciting...

Saw a couple of cycling groups out, quick wave and a nod and off to the coffee shop. Unusually the canberran drivers displayed impeccable manners too. Which was nice.

My new Merida Reacto with di2 is bedding in nicely, and despite all the reviews of its racey nature is turning out to be an extremely comfortable bike to ride. Fast too.

Ride like today make me wonder why more people don't take up the sport. Happy days.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Your Reacto has the teggy cranks, yeah? Not running BB30 SLK's? I have just had my frame replaced. Wanted another Reacto riders observations.

I like the SLK's and the fact that the 2011 model was over half a kilo lighter than the 2012 model. At least the 2012 won't have potential issues with the BB.

I rode 7kms around outer inner north to markets and dikcson with my boy on his balance bike. Slow going, but a nice day when the wind stopped.

DW260

Postby DW260 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Yep. Ultegra cranks. I've only had it for a few weeks and after today's ride had to the drop front wheel (kyrsium elites) off to get trued and a quick checked for another problem. It sounds like it has spokey dokeys when you climb out of the saddle. Hopefully it's nothing major.

What happened to your frame?

I wanted to get the 2011 Reacto with the SRAM red, but couldn't get it in a small.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4