Restorations.....

ldrcycles

Restorations.....

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

I have a few on the go :) .

At the moment i am working on a Mercier, Tom Wallace, his and hers pair of 50s Healings, 91 Peugeot Iseran, 80s Lawrencia and a 1984 Apollo III. I'm attempting to get them all ready for the 2nd Noosa L'Eroica in July, which is going to be a nice challenge :) .

Some before shots.
The Tom Wallace, as i picked it up several years ago.

The Mercier (not really a Mercier but it'll do)

The mens Healing, my dad's from 1954.

The others i haven't uploaded pics of yet. The Mercier has been sandblasted and primed, i should be able to get it before the end of the week.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

slarv

Re: Restorations.....

Postby slarv » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 am

I am keen to see how they turn out. I will probably be bugging you for advice/tips at some stage as I have just started my first one.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:13 pm

My girlfriend picked up the Mercier from the sandblasters today (and dropped off the Tom Wallace and Peugeot) and she says it looks fantastic just in the primer :) . Got the Tom Wallace decals from the signwriters today (originals are as rare as hens teeth) and they look great. I've just ordered the Mercier, Peugeot and Healing decals from Cyclomondo, the Healing ones are not the same as original but they will have to do, the original paintwork is in pretty poor shape and it would take a LOT of work to reproduce it exactly. I would rather get it done now, not quite perfect, and preserve the bike so it can be done perfectly sometime down the track. The ladies healing is covered in house paint so no concerns there.

I don't know what colour to do the Peugeot though, either

Or

Decisions decisions!

Hopefully this week i will get cracking on painting the westwood rims off the healing, that will be a long process, as i'm reproducing the original paint scheme of a white stripe in the centre, thin red stripes either side, and green bands on the outer edges.

slarv

Postby slarv » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 am

ldrcycles wrote: I don't know what colour to do the Peugeot though
I vote for black.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am

Yep, as soon as i saw the 2 pics side by side there i knew, black is smoooth :) .

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 am

black is good ya.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:48 pm

violet keeps shouting at me

msg

Postby msg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 pm

In the last few weeks I have seen Peugeots in a nice burgandy and a nice dark green but not too dark and they were simply stunning. Sorry I couldent get photos but trust me that old bikes look good in these colours.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 pm

munga wrote:violet keeps shouting at me
dat be nice munga. v.nice.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 am

you could also try gunmetal grey. the black seems a bit.. uhh.. boring, and the blue doesn't really pop (for me).
all depends on your tastes, of course. what about minty celeste green? baby blue? pastels were all the rage for a while, so it might still look period correct.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 am

Unless it really really needs repainting please leave it alone. The original paint, decals even the scratches are all part of the bike's history. A few minutes at a sandblaster and it's all gone forever.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 am

All long since gone i'm afraid :( . It was in pretty poor condition when i got it 4-5yrs ago, i acid dipped it at my then work to remove all the paint/rust/decals and then rattlecanned it white with no prep, so it looks horrible.
I'm definitely going with the black, it looks really good to me. The violet looks different but doesn't get me excited, and the Mercier will be purple, does anyone really need more than 1 purple bike? (Except for one road and one MTB).

Got my hands on the Mercier and they have done a great job on it (especially for $30), i'll be starting the painting of that this arvo, along with painting the rims for the Healing.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm

I need some help, i don't know what colour to do the ladies Healing. On one hand i'm thinking it would be nice to do it the same colour as the mens bike (dark green with white fades) but would that be accurate? What little remains of the paint on it is dark red with blue around the head tube, i have seen a couple of photos of ladies Healings with similar paintjobs. Any suggestions?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 15, 2012 9:48 pm

The painting of the Mercier is almost done, and it's looking absolutely amazing. BIG tip for all the DIY painters out there, get yourself an old pedestal fan. The idea came to me after watching an old video about Raleigh bicycles being made and it works incredibly well, holds the frame nice and steady so i can concentrate 100% on getting nice and smooth with the spray. The primer powdercoat that the sandblasters put on is a perfect base too, no effort at all to get a beautiful job.

Also got the Peugeot, Tom Wallace and Lawrencia back from them today, all looking just as good as the Mercier. I'll start painting the Tom Wallace next week, followed by the Peugeot the week after, and then the Lawrencia. Should have both the Healings off for stripping next week too.

I've also picked up a lovely Tarini which i just have to build up once i decide what parts to use (Campy Nuovo Record or Shimano 600 Arabesque would both look nice but i think would be a bit too old for it, i might scrounge around and see if i can pull together a complete group of something a bit later), and just won a Fellini this evening on the bay, pick it up on the weekend.

slarv

Postby slarv » Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 pm

ldrcycles wrote:BIG tip for all the DIY painters out there, get yourself an old pedestal fan. .
That is a very good tip. Thank you.

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.... :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I am dead keen to get the pics up, should be able to tomorrow. Put the final coat of colour on today, then leaving it til Monday before a polish and clear coat (assuming it has hardened by then, i'm being very patient with this). If i get a chance i'll be priming the Tom Wallace tomorrow as well, i don't want to waste good weather while i have it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 pm

AAARRGGH i've been trying all day to get pics of the Mercier uploaded and it just won't work. The last thing i can try is to upload them to facebook over the net from my phone tomorrow. In any case it looks great and i can't wait to get it stickered up and built.

The wheels are about to be built by my LBS, 1986 Joytech hubs laced to Araya rims. The NOS Sturmey Archer coaster hub has FINALLY arrived for the Healing (only took 2 months to get here from the US) so i need to get cracking on painting the westwood rims, that is going to be one hell of a job, cream in the centre of the rim, thin red stripes either side and green bands on the outside of the rim :shock: . The guys at the shop are already trying to chase down some of those old oval spoke nipple washers that are required.

The weather is looking wet next week, hopefully not too bad as i am really itching to get the painting done. Should have both the Healings off to the blasters next week. The Apollo III will be pushed back in line a bit as i want to get a singlespeed training bike done, just a straight powdercoat for that one.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 18, 2012 9:57 am

Finally.

slarv

Postby slarv » Fri May 18, 2012 12:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
The weather is looking wet next week, hopefully not too bad as i am really itching to get the painting done. Should have both the Healings off to the blasters next week. The Apollo III will be pushed back in line a bit as i want to get a singlespeed training bike done, just a straight powdercoat for that one.
Better not be wet. I am holding out for painting weather too.

Have planned for purple lugs on black. I hope my purple turns out the same as your purple.
What brand and colour code of paint did you use? I have dupli-color brand, with some purple that has 'Holden' in it's name.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Believe it or not that is a $3.45 can from Super Cheap Auto :shock: . Australian Export brand enamel, the colour is 'claret'. I didn't know claret was purple :roll: .
Just goes to show how important prep is, to get such a good result from such cheap paint comes down to the great primer base i had to go off, and the really good weather.

westab

Postby westab » Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Believe it or not that is a $3.45 can from Super Cheap Auto :shock: . Australian Export brand enamel, the colour is 'claret'. I didn't know claret was purple :roll: .
Just goes to show how important prep is, to get such a good result from such cheap paint comes down to the great primer base i had to go off, and the really good weather.
Further update on the export enamel from Super cheap auto - saw an Add on the television tuesday night that they hada special on of 4 for $10 (in sydney) - I don't know how many cans you would need for one bike (others more likely to help here).

Not bad if the paint is OK.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Fri May 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Looking good!!
one nice bike.....

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 pm

One can just did 3 coats for this frame and fork. If the frame was any bigger or you needed to use more than you would need 2 cans.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Not much progress on the painting front as i was off in Toowoomba for a ride on the weekend, and i'm now crook. Managed to get into the shed this arvo for a bit of a stocktake though to work out exactly what hubs, rims, derailleurs etc etc i have and what i need to get. (i've also found that i have 105 derailleurs and brifters which will be just the ticket for when/if i get my hands on the Malvern Star Oppy C7 frame the LBS have).
The Mercier, Lawrencia, Tom Wallace and men's Healing are all sorted for parts, just need to decide what i'm putting on the Peugeot (i already know what brake levers it's getting, i have a pair of Peugeot branded ones servicimo gave me ages ago that have been patiently waiting :) ).

On the weekend i also picked up another bike, a Fellini which i'm quite excited about, and only cost $30. 64cm ST and 58cm TT, so a bit on the big side. Can't decide yet whether to pop on the Nuovo Record groupset i've got or just fixy it (i think if i throw on a pair of deep v's the answer should be clear).