Cooks river Cycleway

Cooks river Cycleway

Postby Stickybeak » Tue May 15, 2012 4:18 am

queequeg wrote:
Stickybeak wrote:I had a bit better look at it - I liked the path so much I did it on Sunday early: I realise there is a river flowing past, its tidal and half of Sydney drains into it so it may weel be prone to a risk of flooding - not that I can remember Canterbury Road ever being at risk of being cut from flooding.


The underpass at Tempe (under the rail bridge) is prone to Tidal flooding. You don't really want to be riding your bike through all that salt water, especially in a King Tide!

Image

Image

noticed sludge on the path...can't see a cheap solution to that one


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
Stickybeak
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:49 pm

by BNA » Tue May 15, 2012 6:17 am

BNA
 

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 15, 2012 6:17 am

wombatK wrote:You're right about the Strathfield end. Some improvements there would be easy to achieve. One I'd like to see is to replace the chicanes on the M4 overpass bridge with something that's not nigh on impossible to get through without scraping your derailleur's against the posts.

Cheers


Ahh yeah those things, I've gotten a pretty good technique going of unclipping my left leg and dabbing a bit to squeeze the bike around without hitting anything or needing to stop.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed May 16, 2012 12:25 pm

How does one avoid the underpass at the bridge if it's flooded like that?
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Cooks river Cycleway

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 pm

There's a bridge over the railway tracks north of the train station
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14903
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Personally I find it tough to maintain speed along that route, mainly because of all the road crossings, most of which have chicanes that I usually have to dismount to navigate, Otherwise it's relatively flat, There's also a little foodbridge with some rather tight turns between Marrickville and Campsie.

I have to dismount for the underpass, I'm 6'6" and ride an XL Giant bike, So my forehead is about level with the roof.
matt_h1
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Cooks river Cycleway

Postby Stickybeak » Wed May 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
Stickybeak
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby queequeg » Wed May 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Stickybeak wrote:Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


M7 Cyclepath - 38km of continuous path without a single crossing to worry about.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby wombatK » Wed May 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Stickybeak wrote:Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's one that's hugely better - the M7 cycleway (39 km of no traffic, never put your foot on the
ground riding from one end to the other).

There's also the Prospect Canal Cycleway, which can be combined with the Western Sydney Parkway,
Orphan School Creek cycleway and Liverpool Rail Trail to make a pretty decent round trip.

Homebush to the Prospect Canal Cycleway via the M4 cycleway and Liverpool Rail Trail is another option.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby Nobody » Thu May 17, 2012 12:44 am

matt_h1 wrote:Personally I find it tough to maintain speed along that route, mainly because of all the road crossings, most of which have chicanes that I usually have to dismount to navigate, Otherwise it's relatively flat, There's also a little foodbridge with some rather tight turns between Marrickville and Campsie.

I have to dismount for the underpass, I'm 6'6" and ride an XL Giant bike, So my forehead is about level with the roof.
Sometimes I get some concessions for being short (5'8") with some MTB skills. I usually don't have to unclip from SOP to Tempe train station other than red lights. With the 38cm drop bars on the CX bike, I don't even have to slow down too much for the underpass. Also when I've had "races" with others that are faster, I can often catch up a bit in the tight areas or road crossings.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6674
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby Stickybeak » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am

queequeg wrote:
Stickybeak wrote:Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


M7 Cyclepath - 38km of continuous path without a single crossing to worry about.



Very hard to link up from the east - by the time I would get to it I'd have so many K's up I wouldnt need it!! also hear its very flat?
Image
Stickybeak
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Cooks river Cycleway

Postby queequeg » Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 am

Stickybeak wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Stickybeak wrote:Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


M7 Cyclepath - 38km of continuous path without a single crossing to worry about.



Very hard to link up from the east - by the time I would get to it I'd have so many K's up I wouldnt need it!! also hear its very flat?


Yes, it can be a bit far if you are in the east, but I used to start in north Ryde and do the M2 then the M7 to the end, then come back. That was around 120km. You can drive to the start and park your car in some backstreets, then ride the path all day if you like. It is even fully lit at night!

The M7 is a good path, but it is not flat like the cooks river path. Some of the hills can be a challenge in headwind!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby ftssjk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 pm

wombatK wrote:
Stickybeak wrote:Are there any other similar (I.e. length and absence of vehicles) paths in Sydney


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's one that's hugely better - the M7 cycleway (39 km of no traffic, never put your foot on the
ground riding from one end to the other).

There's also the Prospect Canal Cycleway, which can be combined with the Western Sydney Parkway,
Orphan School Creek cycleway and Liverpool Rail Trail to make a pretty decent round trip.

Homebush to the Prospect Canal Cycleway via the M4 cycleway and Liverpool Rail Trail is another option.

Cheers


hey, have you got any details on the homebush to prospect cycleway via the m4 cycleway and the liverpool rail trail?

where does it start?
when i drive from strathfield to silverwater on the m4, i see that little bridge with lots of cyclists crossing... is that part of it?
ftssjk
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:52 am

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby wombatK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 pm

ftssjk wrote:hey, have you got any details on the homebush to prospect cycleway via the m4 cycleway and the liverpool rail trail?

where does it start?
when i drive from strathfield to silverwater on the m4, i see that little bridge with lots of cyclists crossing... is that part of it?

Try this...

http://www.ridethecity.com/#2103343

Don't know which "little bridge" you mean. The bridge across the M4 at Pomeroy St Homebush is part of the Bay to Bay (Cooks River) cycleway route. There's a bridge across James Ruse Drive that is part of the M4 Cycleway.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby ftssjk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

wombatK wrote:
ftssjk wrote:hey, have you got any details on the homebush to prospect cycleway via the m4 cycleway and the liverpool rail trail?

where does it start?
when i drive from strathfield to silverwater on the m4, i see that little bridge with lots of cyclists crossing... is that part of it?

Try this...

http://www.ridethecity.com/#2103343

Don't know which "little bridge" you mean. The bridge across the M4 at Pomeroy St Homebush is part of the Bay to Bay (Cooks River) cycleway route. There's a bridge across James Ruse Drive that is part of the M4 Cycleway.


thanks for the link!
much appreciated.
its a little overhead pedestrian bridge that crosses over the m4 at around north strathfield/homebush (closer to homebush)
ftssjk
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:52 am

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Interesting loop to Prospect. How is that path? Any safe given it does go through Guildford etc.
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Interesting loop to Prospect. How is that path? Any safe given it does go through Guildford etc.


It's mostly shared on the footpath. Just when you hear a loud bang, duck. :lol: I've done it a few times and no problems.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Cooks river Cycleway

Postby TimW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Interesting loop to Prospect. How is that path? Any safe given it does go through Guildford etc.

Its fine mate, really good ride actually, and no drive by shootings that i know of yet :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Previous

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron