Unhealthy practices seen while riding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Daeld

Postby Daeld » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I ride to work each day and I get to pass by a significant number of people. Some are riding bikes, some are power-walking, some are running. It is good to see people trying to be healthy and fit. But the other day I saw something strange and I'd like to share it and then let you all share your own unhealthy stories.

I was going a long when I saw in the distance a guy trying to put on some sun-screen. He had obviously been running and had all the gear on. (So far so good, right?) But as I got closer, I noticed that he was having trouble putting it on; he seemed to be trying to do it mostly one-handed. I could not work out why because of the angle...until I passed him. In his other hand he had a cigarette! Occasionally, he would take a puff and use the other hand.

So here's a guy, who is trying to be fit (by going for a jog) and putting on sun-screen (so he doesn't get skin cancer) and lo and behold! he is smoking! :lol:

I had a little chuckle to myself as I kept going, wondering what contradictory practices I might have too!

If you've seen something clearly unhealthy (especially in someone who is trying to be fit!) I'd love to hear about it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Don't think the amount of snot and spit you get sprayed with when in a peloton is very healthy... Probably healthier than the amount of crap you get in your mouth nose and eyes when follow someone very closely in heavy rain on small farm roads :-( .

greyhoundtom

Re: Unhealthy practices seen while riding

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu May 17, 2012 6:19 am

As far as unhealthy practices are concerned, I do worry about all those cyclists riding around our major cities during peak hour dragging all those car fumes deep into their lungs.

In some respects I consider it just as bad as being a 20 pack a day smoker.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

greyhoundtom wrote:As far as unhealthy practices are concerned, I do worry about all those cyclists riding around our major cities during peak hour dragging all those car fumes deep into their lungs.

I read an article recently (wish I could remember where...) that suggests that cyclists get about 1/3 of the fumes that drivers/car occupants get. I think it was something to do with car ventilation being down the front near the car in fronts exhaust pipes or something like that, as well as the air staying in the car for a lot longer.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 am

As someone who lives in regional NSW, and does almost all of my riding around beaches or in rural areas, I don't understand how most of you guys can ride in the city.

I don't like breathing air you can see. It can't be doing your lungs any good. :? :?
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

Ozkaban wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:As far as unhealthy practices are concerned, I do worry about all those cyclists riding around our major cities during peak hour dragging all those car fumes deep into their lungs.

I read an article recently (wish I could remember where...) that suggests that cyclists get about 1/3 of the fumes that drivers/car occupants get. I think it was something to do with car ventilation being down the front near the car in fronts exhaust pipes or something like that, as well as the air staying in the car for a lot longer.
+1, read the same article and one a while back, no links tho'. :oops: IIRC, it mentioned that most vehicular filth tended to stay in a layer about 1.2m AGL. Perfect height for intake vents.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:

+1, read the same article and one a while back, no links tho'. :oops: IIRC, it mentioned that most vehicular filth tended to stay in a layer about 1.2m AGL. Perfect height for intake vents.
There are paths you can use around Melbourne which are well away from cars and roads. Maybe I'm fortunate, but only about 10% of my commute is on-road. As far fumes go, I think the worst bit is an uphill section closer to home which is used by buses. I try to hold my breath when they pass me.

IR8naml

Postby IR8naml » Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 am

I am over the macho cyclist who has to demonstrate the repulsive act of showing the person behind them how much crap they can blow from their nasal cavities, which if you’re lucky, when the wind is right the expulsion violently splatters onto the perusing cyclist face.

Seriously, you people need to learn some manners.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

i recall many a morning stepping out of adelaide railway station and throwing my leg over the roadie, moving across north terrace, heading south, and by time i get to hindley street ive gagged back a dry wretch or three from the car smog.

also in the news...
how often do ya wash your gloves? every bikie blow i do is followed by a glove wiping the face. fyi, i dont bikie blow when others are nearby, thats just plain rude!
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Possible not a health issue but what I commonly see is people riding bikes with a positively awful fit. Most commonly it is the saddle way too low with the knees going in and out like a pair of opposed pistons. Long-term this cannot be doing the knees any good.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu May 17, 2012 4:38 pm

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Redbull wrote:Image
OMGosh!!1!!!11! NO HEMLET!!!!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Methinks the Ninja Salmon is a classic unhealthy practice. Especially after the commute home this morning. FIVE of the dills took some of the gloss off a lovely 42kms. Wouldn't mind so much if it was just themselves subject to the unhealthy implications. :roll:
London Boy 29/12/2011

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Please explain ninja salmon Mulga bill.

Chevy

Postby Chevy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:09 pm

moreegolfer wrote:Please explain ninja salmon Mulga bill.
It's a cyclist riding in the opposite direction with no lights....

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu May 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Ninja salmons are one of my pet hates. Fair enough (stupid IMO) if they want to risk doing themselves an injury riding around with no lights wearing dark clothing but don't involve me and endanger my life by riding near me.

People riding no hands isn't terribly clever either IMO.

Or hipsters on fixies with no brakes.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Redbull wrote:Image
OMGosh!!1!!!11! NO HEMLET!!!!
Don't think he has any sunscreen on either!!!
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:As someone who lives in regional NSW, and does almost all of my riding around beaches or in rural areas, I don't understand how most of you guys can ride in the city.

I don't like breathing air you can see. It can't be doing your lungs any good. :? :?
Motorbikes are particularly bad. No catalytic converters and all that unburnt hydrocarbpn makes me lightheaded. Same with old cars. Stinky horrid things. I feel like yelling, "go get it tuned properly, ya git!"

However, if I make sure I'm 2 metres or more away from a stopped vehicle, it's not too bad. I tend to ride low traffic routes these days, and the more hills the better. There are things on the road riskier to my health than fumes. Hence the camera, soon to be cameras.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Far from the city where you expect the air to be pure, you find yourself breathing in clouds of dust almost all day long when you travel down the Gibb River Road in the Kimberley in the wake of every other city dweller in their flash new 4WD come up to escape the smog. This may be worse for the lungs than the odd puff of a cigarette. If you are thinking of going that way, take a dust mask or at least a bandana.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat May 19, 2012 6:25 am

I find it interesting that cycling outlets such as Wiggle, Chainreaction, Evans, and Velogear all sell anti pollution air masks for cyclists.

Just maybe in Australia cyclists don’t take the health dangers of motor vehicle pollution serious enough.

In regard to car drivers being exposed to the same pollution, keep in mind that there is a big difference in just sitting in your car breathing shallow, and riding your bike climbing a rise and dragging the fumes deep into your lungs.

+ lots of European made cars have anti pollution filters in the air intakes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 19, 2012 6:36 am

IR8naml wrote:I am over the macho cyclist who has to demonstrate the repulsive act of showing the person behind them how much crap they can blow from their nasal cavities, which if you’re lucky, when the wind is right the expulsion violently splatters onto the perusing cyclist face.

Seriously, you people need to learn some manners.
And you are supposed to do what when racing, other than blow it into your hand and wipe it down you your knicks? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat May 19, 2012 7:03 am

foo on patrol wrote:
And you are supposed to do what when racing, other than blow it into your hand and wipe it down you your knicks? :?

Foo
Carry a hanky in a jersey pocket?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 pm

^^ :lol: :lol: Ok, the last thing you want too be doing while in a race is, groping/fumbling around to find a hanky! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm

^^^ pin one to the front of your jersey Fred style.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 19, 2012 11:50 pm

:shock: And look like some Dork! :oops:

Foo
Goal 6000km