Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

MarkG

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby MarkG » Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Are there any CE discount codes at the moment?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Got an order from Chain Reaction in the UK today. Couple of hundred dollars worth, everything was correct, packing was okay and items undamaged. c r c had the lowest price I could find online for the order. I deliberately selected economy post and did not send them any emails asking where the order was.

it took 10 days from order placement to shipping, then another 14 days for it to arrive. Pretty slow I thought - you pay more at Wiggle but you get it a lot quicker.

galactictuan

Postby galactictuan » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

zakka101 wrote:cycling express. second time i have used them and wont be the last, love them!
cheap prices, had everything i needed! im excited.

ordered on a wednesday afternoon, got the dispatch email friday morning. received goods monday morning. wasnt in a rush to get the goods so i was pretty happy with how it all turned out!

Thanks cyclingexpress!
Did TOLL IPEC send your order or was it regular Aus Post?

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 am

galactictuan wrote:
zakka101 wrote:cycling express. second time i have used them and wont be the last, love them!
cheap prices, had everything i needed! im excited.

ordered on a wednesday afternoon, got the dispatch email friday morning. received goods monday morning. wasnt in a rush to get the goods so i was pretty happy with how it all turned out!

Thanks cyclingexpress!
Did TOLL IPEC send your order or was it regular Aus Post?

was aus post mate

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Got a bill from DHL yesterday asking for $47 as an order from Evans Cycles went through Quarantine etc and they have passed this cost on to me.
I've ordered plenty from overseas and never had this before.

Not happy, not happy at all.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

It's not a scam as such - it's perfectly legit under the T's and Cs of carriage. But it is a moneymaking exercise.

We should be glad we don't live in the US - they get hit with these sort of fees all the time. It's why the online retailers post disclaimers on their websites about the buyer being responsible for all charges.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Rex wrote:Got a bill from DHL yesterday asking for $47 as an order from Evans Cycles went through Quarantine etc and they have passed this cost on to me.

was it less than 1k? if so, don't pay. ask for evidence

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Big_Red wrote:Being 110kg + a light wheel won't cut it for me and as the Pro-Lite Como wheelset is 20H front/24H rear i'd probably break spokes or destroy it in short order. Pro-Lite don't do high spoke count wheels afaik.
The Como is tested in excess of your weight without issue.

At 110kg no road wheel is going to last you forever, you might be surprised though for what is a relatively cost effective wheelset.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Rex wrote:Got a bill from DHL yesterday asking for $47 as an order from Evans Cycles went through Quarantine etc and they have passed this cost on to me.

Hence I photo all packages that I get as customs put their tape on it and a leaflet inside if it has been opened. If I was to get that I'll be emailing photos back and telling em to sod off.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Oxford wrote:

its a scam, do a forum search and internet search to find out more.
+100x. They would not have released the goods if they were on solid ground. Quarantine costs are their problem, not yours.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

simmo71

Postby simmo71 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:41 pm

I had one of those bills a year ago because I ordered tyres (wirebead= full size box) & quarantine thought they were used & therefore could have dirt on them.

I ignored the bill as it was a servjce that I did not request or authorise. It went away. If you read the bill it is from the courier for their expences and not the government. Dont pay it!

To avoid further bills request the sender write " new and unused merchandise" on the outside of package.

Simon

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu May 17, 2012 2:52 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Being 110kg + a light wheel won't cut it for me and as the Pro-Lite Como wheelset is 20H front/24H rear i'd probably break spokes or destroy it in short order. Pro-Lite don't do high spoke count wheels afaik.
The Como is tested in excess of your weight without issue.

At 110kg no road wheel is going to last you forever, you might be surprised though for what is a relatively cost effective wheelset.
I'd far rather buy a wheelset from a builder in Australia than overseas if i could. Seen the vids with the wheelbuilding and quite impressed at the speed
that these are churned out. I'm not expecting a wheel to last forever, even just 10,000 km would be good... The Como is cheap enough that i could buy
it to test it out, although it wouldn't be NDT. :D Just a pity higher spoke count wheels aren't done to assure they'll take the punishment. The more
riding i get to do, the less i need the wheels to be so heavy as i lose the weight.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 pm

jasonc wrote: was it less than 1k? if so, don't pay. ask for evidence
It was about 1-2kg but I don't think weight has anything to do with this.

Baalzamon wrote: Hence I photo all packages that I get as customs put their tape on it and a leaflet inside if it has been opened. If I was to get that I'll be emailing photos back and telling em to sod off
Oh it was definitely opened and inspected by customs, I remember getting the leaflet etc.
simmo71 wrote: I ignored the bill as it was a servjce that I did not request or authorise. It went away. If you read the bill it is from the courier for their expences and not the government. Dont pay it!
This is my thoughts exactly. I did not request or authorise the inspection so the charge should not be forwarded to me.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri May 18, 2012 12:46 am

Still waiting 17/05/2012 on a couple of baselayers from Evans, ordered 19/04/2012. Must be lost.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Evans can take a while, email em and wait another week. It will show.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Rex wrote:
jasonc wrote: was it less than 1k? if so, don't pay. ask for evidence
$1k. i meant. not 1kg.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri May 18, 2012 3:25 pm

jasonc wrote:
Rex wrote:
ja sonc wrote: was it less than 1k? if so, don't pay. ask for evidence
$1k. i meant. not 1kg.
Oh, yes :)

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri May 18, 2012 5:23 pm

gururug wrote:Evans can take a while, email em and wait another week. It will show.

Yeah went to the post office. Was sitting there. Went there last week and they said it wasn't. She didn't look in the spot it was sitting in today.

Hard to blame the online store. No note in mailbox.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 18, 2012 5:25 pm

I had a wheelset go through quarantine (there was a pamphlet left in the package) and no charge was made. DHL wasn't the delivery company though.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat May 19, 2012 10:36 am

Anyone else notice Wiggle are sending stuff from an address in NSW via Aus Post. Last 2 orders no International Mail markings on the package at all.

mclala

Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby mclala » Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I have noticed the Sydney address for wiggle orders. Assumed that they must be bulk sending there and then distributing, maybe with the volume of orders coming here it's cheaper. I guess it makes returns etc easier for us and them.
Giant Defy Composite 3

bollo

Postby bollo » Sat May 19, 2012 5:49 pm

danny the boy wrote:Anyone else notice Wiggle are sending stuff from an address in NSW via Aus Post. Last 2 orders no International Mail markings on the package at all.
no they send DHL 4 days delivery from the UK to me love it, anyway i bought a pump 2 months ago from wiggle & thte gauge stopped working & after an email to them i have a new pump at my front door 4 days later , certainly cannot fault that service
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun May 20, 2012 4:51 pm

bollo wrote:
danny the boy wrote:Anyone else notice Wiggle are sending stuff from an address in NSW via Aus Post. Last 2 orders no International Mail markings on the package at all.
no they send DHL 4 days delivery from the UK to me love it, anyway i bought a pump 2 months ago from wiggle & thte gauge stopped working & after an email to them i have a new pump at my front door 4 days later , certainly cannot fault that service

I had 2 orders DHL at the start of the year which were 4 dayers but the last 2 have come from NSW and have taken double the time.

trojam

Postby trojam » Sun May 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Wiggle:

Dakine Drafter back pack and DMR v12 pedals. It took 7 days from order date, unchecked priority dispatch.

Return postage was to Sunshine VIC.

Very happy.

beenoll

Postby beenoll » Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 am

I pressed the go button on orders with wiggle and torpedo7 on Sunday afternoon. So far the wiggle order has left via DHL (as of Monday morning), normal delivery option. Let's see which one arrives first. It's also interesting to compare with other services eg work stuff I've ordered from Perth to Brisbane can be overnight, while other times orders can sit in particular Aus Post mail centres for days before anything happens. I guess it's more exciting when it's bike parts....
'87 Peugeot Triathlon PGN10t
'88 Repco Superlite
'86 Repco Olympic 12
+1