Regular Group Training Rides in Brisbane?

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested to know whether there are any regular group training rides in Brisbane's north side? I would like to join someone, but since I'm new to cycling, my "cycling" friends are very limited, and I enjoy cycling in a group.

I have the club rides on Sundays, which are good and leisurely, but would also like to join in some rides with others to step up the pace a bit, give me an idea of what pace does "training rides" usually go and experience that side of my cycling life.

I'm not sure as to whether I can ask here? Or where should I find out these information? So just putting this out there to try my luck.

Thanks in advanced.
Brendan

Brenchen

Re: Regular Group Training Rides in Brisbane?

Postby Brenchen » Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 am

I see some event calendars, clubs etc, except without proper training, I won't want to go into clubs etc.

I will be going overseas for work for a while, so maybe when I come back I'll train myself up before going into a club.

More what I was looking for was more towards casual groups or groups of people doing training, which I can tag along with.
Brendan

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 pm

A friend of mine rides some mornings with the boys (and girls) from Fusion cycles.
He is a beginner and they have been more than helpful for him.
They do different intensity rides on different mornings and Sunday is almost leisurely, depending on who turns up for the ride.
http://www.fusioncycles.com.au/

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 am

I know of fusioncycle, they seemed very professional with everything. But I didn't know that if I am not their customer, whether I can still join. And on rides where I think I will be pushing myself (what I wish to do anyway), should I give it a go?

Cheers,
Brendan

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 am

Brenchen wrote:I know of fusioncycle, they seemed very professional with everything. But I didn't know that if I am not their customer, whether I can still join. And on rides where I think I will be pushing myself (what I wish to do anyway), should I give it a go?

Cheers,
You do not need to be a Fusion customer, but I would advise that if you become a regular rider then do some business with them. Normal rules of etiquette and common sense.
Some of their weekday rides are at a blistering pace but that is indicated on the website.
Sunday morning ride is very civilized.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

elantra wrote:
Brenchen wrote:I know of fusioncycle, they seemed very professional with everything. But I didn't know that if I am not their customer, whether I can still join. And on rides where I think I will be pushing myself (what I wish to do anyway), should I give it a go?

Cheers,
You do not need to be a Fusion customer, but I would advise that if you become a regular rider then do some business with them. Normal rules of etiquette and common sense.
Some of their weekday rides are at a blistering pace but that is indicated on the website.
Sunday morning ride is very civilized.
I went in to check them out today, certainly very professional, I am looking forward to one day I can live up to be their customer.
Brendan

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 am

OK, I went riding with the boys today, surely an eye opener, and indirectly, I've learnt a lot, and more of what I need to work on. I simply couldn't compare with them, their staminar, strength and power, cruising through hill after hill. I dropped away pretty much after a few sets of hills, just couldn't catch up to them on the flats after that.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be doing more hill repeats and long rides.
Brendan

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 pm

where are you based Brendan? I ride with a pretty social group during the week and some weekends. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider, but we typically manage 27-29km/h over river loops and longer trips. We do pretty regular river loops, leaving from Park Road, Milton early mornings during the week. Drop me a pm if you want to catch up.

I know there are groups that meet up at North Lakes near the shopping centre and also at Sandgate along the waterfront too.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

BrisVegas wrote:where are you based Brendan? I ride with a pretty social group during the week and some weekends. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider, but we typically manage 27-29km/h over river loops and longer trips. We do pretty regular river loops, leaving from Park Road, Milton early mornings during the week. Drop me a pm if you want to catch up.

I know there are groups that meet up at North Lakes near the shopping centre and also at Sandgate along the waterfront too.
Thanks for the heads up mate. How does these "group" work? Is it usually on a fixed time each week (like every Tuesdays, Thursdays etc.)? I live up at Zone 2 northside, bit further north but near the RBWH, but I guess Parkroad will be OK for me to come, otherwise we can meet somewhere enroute?

Anyway, PM sent.

Cheers,
Brendan

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed May 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Brenchen wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:where are you based Brendan? I ride with a pretty social group during the week and some weekends. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider, but we typically manage 27-29km/h over river loops and longer trips. We do pretty regular river loops, leaving from Park Road, Milton early mornings during the week. Drop me a pm if you want to catch up.

Thanks for the heads up mate. How does these "group" work? Is it usually on a fixed time each week (like every Tuesdays, Thursdays etc.)? I live up at Zone 2 northside, bit further north but near the RBWH, but I guess Parkroad will be OK for me to come, otherwise we can meet somewhere enroute?

Anyway, PM sent.

Cheers,
I'm a relative noob, so I don't know how other groups work. My group is pretty casual and we organise rides via email and text msgs etc.. I got invited thru one of the school mums who I got chatting to one day. I think there are more "organised" rides from the various shops and there's the 100 acre groups from St Lucia Golf Course etc.. I know MB Cycles in Milton has heaps of groups, but I've not ridden with them. It would be worth giving your local bike shops a call to see who's running what and what sort of pace they ride at.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Brendan, check the web for BBTA (brisbane bicycle touring association). They have lots of rides for all different levels and ages. You might do well to stick to building your stamina on the Kedron Brook paths and up to Sandgate Scarborough. You could also do some training on the criterium track at Nundah in the afternoons from 4pm with other people, or on your own anytime.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 pm

PawPaw wrote:Hi Brendan, check the web for BBTA (brisbane bicycle touring association). They have lots of rides for all different levels and ages. You might do well to stick to building your stamina on the Kedron Brook paths and up to Sandgate Scarborough. You could also do some training on the criterium track at Nundah in the afternoons from 4pm with other people, or on your own anytime.
Thanks for the heads up mate, I've looked up their site and found an interesting ride for tomorrow. Good distance (good for endurance training at my level), good speed (makes me push a little). My questions are, does the "author" usually reply via email or phone calls? Secondly, with these rides, the pack doesn't wait for anyone (as in if you lag behind, you'll be left behind)? And these rides, unless specified, you don't have to be a member of any kind to go with them?

Cheers
Brendan

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Brenchen wrote:
PawPaw wrote:Hi Brendan, check the web for BBTA (brisbane bicycle touring association). They have lots of rides for all different levels and ages. You might do well to stick to building your stamina on the Kedron Brook paths and up to Sandgate Scarborough. You could also do some training on the criterium track at Nundah in the afternoons from 4pm with other people, or on your own anytime.
Thanks for the heads up mate, I've looked up their site and found an interesting ride for tomorrow. Good distance (good for endurance training at my level), good speed (makes me push a little). My questions are, does the "author" usually reply via email or phone calls? Secondly, with these rides, the pack doesn't wait for anyone (as in if you lag behind, you'll be left behind)? And these rides, unless specified, you don't have to be a member of any kind to go with them?

Cheers
I am not a BBTA member but i know some people who are.
If my memory is correct i think some rides you just turn up at the designated starting point.
Or as the notice on one bikeshop window used to say " If no-one else turns up you are the ride "
I think that only for the bigger BBTA rides, you are requested to advise participtaion in advance, by phone or email.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm

The beta "dash" is a big ride with all abilities but it's on the south side.