SOP Safety Alert Thread

goneriding

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby goneriding » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Bennelong Parkway is a bit of a mess again after all the rain. There are a couple of potholes that have kicked up a fair amount of rubble onto the bike lane. It looks like the patching from the last lot of rain! Good to see quality fixes. They must be taking lessons from the IT industry :)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 pm

goneriding wrote:Bennelong Parkway is a bit of a mess again after all the rain. There are a couple of potholes that have kicked up a fair amount of rubble onto the bike lane. It looks like the patching from the last lot of rain! Good to see quality fixes. They must be taking lessons from the IT industry :)
It was in good shape Friday evening, after 3 days of heavy rain. Maybe Saturday's rain was the straw that
broke the camel's back.

Can't say the same for the roadworks for Ausgrid just along from the Australia Ave intersection.
The backfill was badly compacted (if at all) and overfilled, and you've got to worry about hitting
it too fast in the wet if you do trick a green light at Australia Ave.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I wish they'd re-do that entire road past the archery centre. It's terrible!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 am

wombatK wrote:Can't say the same for the roadworks for Ausgrid just along from the Australia Ave intersection.
The backfill was badly compacted (if at all) and overfilled,
She'll be right mate!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:05 pm

I will say one thing. The riders that ride around SOP at around 6.30am.

There is no excuse to run the red lights, NONE.

You are giving those of us that follow the rules a bad name, and making it harder to get treated with respect.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

r2160 wrote:I will say one thing. The riders that ride around SOP at around 6.30am.

There is no excuse to run the red lights, NONE.

You are giving those of us that follow the rules a bad name, and making it harder to get treated with respect.

cheers
Glenn
Pffft!
They've been getting away with it for years, they're not going to stop now.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon May 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Lady recently fractured her arm in 3 places near the archery centre couple of months ago.

Has lawyered up, the council was advised numerous times by individuals and groups in the area that an accident was going to happen.

Will we see new surface there? Who knows, I do understand the council do not want to fix roads until the building is done but the road is in a very bad state.

I've changed my mind on red lights. Olympic Park should mark out a good circuit and have it car free for a couple of hours each morning. The Park should also be car free at least once per month.

Cars need to be treated like nuclear waste, or worse they do a lot more damage. Swanie talked up a $1.5bn surplus whilst we spend $30bn+ patching people up after motorists have attempted to kill them. Hw people who don't drive.own cars are not protesting in the streets is beyond me.

JM

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
Pffft!
They've been getting away with it for years, they're not going to stop now.
Just like all the hoons who roll through the stop sign at the Australia Ave/Marjorie
Jackson parkway intersection (often enough failing to give way to approaching
cyclists), or drive up the busway illegally.

None of these motorists seem to give one whit of consideration to how
much they are disrespecting other motorists and making life hard for them.

Not that it's much comfort or deterrent, but at least the police get out
there regularly enforcing that. There's no reason to think that any police
action against red-light running cyclists would have any more effect.

If it's any comfort, Darwin's Law will probably catch up with the red-light running
cyclist long before it will get the motoring hoon.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Sydguy wrote:Will we see new surface there?
looks like bennelong parkway (after the bridge) is being resurfaced
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri May 18, 2012 3:18 pm

It's about time. The bike lane was unuseable. I noticed that they've removed the "traffic calming"/road furniture item that was just after the first driveway at the Centre. Now all I need is for the bump top be removed from outside the entrance to the Warm Up track.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm

benelong parkway is getting a very wide median strip installed to acomodate right turn lanes. I have a bad feeling that cyclists will be forced onto the footpath to get by the waterfront area.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm

New traffic lights at Burnie ave were finally active today

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

For newbies sake...

what is/are SOP, SOPA, LACC etc.

Is there somewhere on the forum where one can look up all the acronyms? :?

TIA

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 pm

SOP = Sydney Olympic Park
SOPA - Sydney Olympic Park Authority
LACC - Lidcombe Auburn Cycling Club

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm

tubby74 wrote:New traffic lights at Burnie ave were finally active today
Sorely needed. SOPA (Sydney Olympic Park Authority) said they'd be done by July, although
on Friday evening it looked like more civil works still required to finish off the median strips
and turning lanes.
WombatK

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 pm

went through benelong ave today, the new surface is nice and bike lane with a large kerbside free space as well, only choke point is a small roundabout. They've got rid of parking on both sides, which is odd as I'd been talking to council traffic folks only last week and they said would retain parking on one side. On the other hand they are trying to get rid of the bike lane on hill road headed to the ferry so residents can park there again.

More concerning, through the park baout 5pm today, hillsong conference is on. They are the least considerate crowd of any event. double parking in no stopping zones, uturns with no consideration for others. be very careful at start and finish times all week

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 pm

tubby74 wrote:went through benelong ave today, the new surface is nice and bike lane with a large kerbside free space as well, only choke point is a small roundabout
The small roundabout doesn't seem to slow traffic on Benelong Rd. It wasn't previously a tee intersection, it's really an apartment entrance/exit. The roundabout is too small to produce the traffic calming effect of most roundabouts. But the roadway nevertheless
narrows and the cycle lane dissappears - so it's a danger zone for cyclists. The rest of the work along Bennelong Rd is good.

The Burnie Ave lights work looks all finished. Like all the other intersections around SOP, there's no detection loops in the bike lane.
So at light traffic times, you might find lots of cyclists unable to trip the lights and hence running the red.

Cheers
WombatK

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 pm

was stopped at the burine street lights yesterday, watched 3 cyclists in a row run the red. They didn't even look at the lights to see the car to their left had just been given the green light. very lucky they weren't run over. not sure what more you can do to protect these sorts of cyclists from themselves

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Just received this in my email:
Sydney Olympic Park Authority has been informed that there will be a speed reduction on Bennelong Parkway and Hill Road.

The Roads and Maritime Services has approved a request from Auburn City Council to reduce the speed limit from 60km/h to 50km/h on Bennelong Parkway (between the Haslam Creek Bridge and Hill Road) and Hill Road north of Bennelong Parkway. The 50km/h signs will be installed this week.
Is this a good thing for us cyclists?

find_bruce

SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:36 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Just received this in my email:
Sydney Olympic Park Authority has been informed that there will be a speed reduction on Bennelong Parkway and Hill Road.

The Roads and Maritime Services has approved a request from Auburn City Council to reduce the speed limit from 60km/h to 50km/h on Bennelong Parkway (between the Haslam Creek Bridge and Hill Road) and Hill Road north of Bennelong Parkway. The 50km/h signs will be installed this week.
Is this a good thing for us cyclists?
I don't see a problem with it - haven't seen many "high speed" riders on that part of Hill Rd, let alone ones who would break 50.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm

I did once draft a TNT truck all along that road to it's depot. Helped that I knew where it was stopping at. What a buzz. Never again though. Bit too dangerous for my liking.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Team

Just outside SOP at Rhodes Waterside a cyclist managed to go into the water. The section of pathway along the water front that has just opened is where the incident occurred today.

I only wandered a bit closer when the 2nd ambulance rolled up. Then I saw Fire Rescue apear on the scene, and later heard more of them. Hopefully it was a precaution and the rider was not seriously hurt. There is a decent drop onto nasty rocks and with the speed the ambos were doing... fingers crossed!

Can't even guess how the rider went in, unless they stopped at the edge and lost balance. Maybe avoiding something? Very strange.

If anyone knows more please tell.

JM

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Sydguy wrote: Just outside SOP at Rhodes Waterside a cyclist managed to go into the water. The section of pathway along the water front that has just opened is where the incident occurred today.
Bad news that someone came to grief, but good news there's more open.

How much has been opened ? Does it reach right around to the railway bridge yet ?

Cheers
WombatK

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:56 am

That's a tricky section if you're not paying any attention. The path is open half way down interrupted by gates in the middle but you can ride through without going on Walker St

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

It looked to be unintentionally open... there is a ton of gear lying around, excavators and the like.

There are also signs up on the gate to report to site office. Not sure people were meant to be wandering around in there.

Either way I can't wait for it all to open up, mainly to walk with wife and youngster - riding around there is tricky! Too many people/dogs/kids.

Cyclists are better off on the road, in the centre of the lane around Rhodes.

That said I witnessed a brand new BMW driven by a P plater hitting at least 90 km/h on Shoreline Drive - I grabbed up my 2 y.o. and felt physically sick!

More ammunition for my ingenious idea that everytime you accelerate in a car there should be a sickening crunch followed by an ear piercing scream played through the sound system at full volume. People need it.

JM