Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

PawPaw

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby PawPaw » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression some ISPs had a short sliding post within it that gave a few inches of vertical adjustment.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed May 16, 2012 9:17 am

The new carbon frames do yes, but the 028 is just a shaft that you chop at the top.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2012 11:53 am

Mulger bill wrote:I gotta stop reading this thread. :(
My commuter does not need new wheels.
I'm in the same boat. One of the only things that is sort of stopping me is that I want a Volagi Liscio Di2 Hydro. I need the money for that more than I need other wheels for the Kona.

That and the exchnage rate going through the parity barrier helps a little too.

If they had 38mm deep and 23mm wide clinchers, I think I'd be struggling not to press the "confirm" button on the paypal page ..... :roll:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Wheels arrived today, been unpacked, inspected, photographed (to be uploaded after test ride), weighed and truing checked.

On my +/- 20gm scale with 12gm strap used to attached them, they came in at 1240gm so 1230gm +/- 20gm is their weight according to me, well inside the 1250 +/- 30gm specifications.

Front wheel is about 0.5mm out of true, will fix that
Rear wheel is less than 0.25mm out of true, will leave that alone

so time for quick true, fit rim strips, tubes, tires, cassette, install new brake pads, attach to bike and take them for a spin.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Those weights are pretty impressive is that CC 38mm 20/24h?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Full specs
Item No.:FSC38-CM
Rim:full carbon 38mm clincher 20/24H
Hubs:Bitex
Spoke:Sapim cx-ray
Nipple:Sapim (SILS)
App: UD
Weight: 1250g(+/-30g) each set
FOB Price:US $529 each set

just need to ride them to see how impressed with them I am.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:23 pm

im interested to hear how your first ride went with your new wheels, did you get them from Far Sports? looks like the same info/wheel model number from there website.
im pretty keen on some 60mm front 88mm rear tubulars from them as im pretty intrigued over the weights they claim, 660g for one front rim 60mm and 750g rear for an 88m rim is pretty good i think. depends how much the real weights are tho i guess.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 pm

simurs4 wrote:im interested to hear how your first ride went with your new wheels
Not yet, everything minor that could go wrong did go wrong, I have 4 brake shoes in my spare parts box, put the carbon specific pads in them, fit them to the bike find after fitting 3, I have got, 3 left and one right shoe, have to find another pair, then I strip a thread from one of the shoes, a right one, and so it went on ...

Grabbed a pair of Vittoria Corsa Evo CX, which are not the easiest tyres to fit to the wheels. After 30 minutes of struggling I gave up and a grabbed a pair of trusty Vittoria Rubino III pros of another wheel set. I never needed tyre levers to remove or fit Rubino Pros, until this afternoon, this wheel set is difficult to fit tyres. So if you are going to use them for commuting beware, I can change a tube in a couple of minutes without tools on most my wheel sets, this set takes 5 minutes with tools.

Scariest bit, inflating the tyres and hearing the carbon creak. I though it might explode, so after doing the rear, I inflated the front to 80psi, walked away, came back 5 minutes later, inflated to 100psi quickly , walked away, came back 5 minutes later, inflated to 120psi quickly, came back 5 minutes later no creaking.
simurs4 wrote:did you get them from Far Sports? looks like the same info/wheel model number from there website.
im pretty keen on some 60mm front 88mm rear tubulars from them as im pretty intrigued over the weights they claim, 660g for one front rim 60mm and 750g rear for an 88m rim is pretty good i think. depends how much the real weights are tho i guess.
Yes they are from Far Sports quoted weight 1250gm +/- 30gm I weighed mind at 1230gm +/- 20gms

photos after I return from a couple of errands

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 pm

oh ok awesome ill be keen to seen how they go.
im wanting the 60/88 wheelset for training wheels which is why i want tubulars instead of clinchers as i won't be using them all the time. if they end up being all good i might get a set of 38mm clinchers for commuting.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Nic, sorry to hear about the brake pad and tight tire hassles.
I'm getting mine delivered to my LBS so they can check spoke tension, trueness, and hub lube.
Please let us know how they ride.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Never really had a close look at anybody else's carbon wheels, these are not beautiful, the carbon has small blemishes, the sections do not match, if you really want a close look here are links to large photos
front wheel 2400px by 2400px 2.5mb http://nickobec.com/photos/frontwheel1600.jpg
rear wheel 1600px by 1600px 1mb http://nickobec.com/photos/rearwheel1600.jpg

The all important image, what they look like on the bike (before I aligned the front brake pads):
hopefully not too pretentious for an e grade racer :-) if is only a SL1 Comp not an SL1 RC, though if anybody knows where I can get a Fuji SL1 RC fuji servetto fork at a reasonable price, I will be happy and riding a sub 7kg bike.

pawpaw my front wheel was out of true by less than .5mm, which I fixed, the rear less that 0.25mm so I did not even worry about it. The spoke tension was consistent across the spokes, did not check the hub lube, but they spun cleanly and quietly.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 am

Looks good. Love the blue frame the Nic

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 17, 2012 10:31 am

Hey Nick, your wheels look great and not pretentious at all. Deep carbon rims are so common nowadays, it's a very standard look.
Re what you said about different parts of the rims being a different color or patterning, that's something I've seen on a lot of Zipp wheelsets.
BTW, I've said on the forum in the past that I wasn't prepared to pay a price premium for deep carbon rims because I don't do enough 35+kph riding on my own.
My preference for a new set of wheels was light weight to help with climbing and acceleration. But if I can get deep rims that are light and cheap, all the better.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu May 17, 2012 1:20 pm

38mm is nice depth for wheels should motor well and be ok in cross winds
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu May 17, 2012 1:22 pm

be watching keenly looking to get new set of cheapish wheels for daily commute but want carbon so don't have stuff around with swapping pads on weekend

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 pm

PawPaw wrote:Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression some ISPs had a short sliding post within it that gave a few inches of vertical adjustment.
My Chinese origin but custom design carbon track frame came with 5, 10 & 15mm spacers to allow for adjusting the seat higher after cutting. I would assume it's more for someone doing double duty with their bike, like road & TT use. Really, you should be measuring 10 times and cutting once. Err on the side of high and adjust bit by bit as Crawf said.

Another note to cutting the seatpost, if you've got a dremel, cut it with the fibreglass cutoff wheel. That's what I did, and the heat nicely seals the cut surface so no fraying or sharp edges to deal with. At least not in my case. I read that either on here or some other forum.

Cutting pieces out of the cut seatpost will give you some spacers if you want to go that route, but as mentioned, you're better off doing it right the first time.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 pm

thx brawlo. will keep it in mind. I am such a fussy experimental type, I'd prefer to not go ISP, or wait til Dengfu update their frames with an adjustable ISP.
I'm still messing with crank lengths. thinking testing a shorter which impacts seat height.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Finally got to ride today, even after some time last night, a tube blew and destroyed the bead of a near new Rubino Pro III.

So after more delays, finally got the wheels on the road.

First thing they were quiet, the wheels I have built or heavily adjusted always creak and groan for the 1st ride, not these. That noise you hear from high profile carbon rims voof-voof, these pair will make a quieter version, only when I am out of the saddle, accelerating hard and throwing the bike from side to side.

Acceleration is great, far snappier than my regular wheelset.

Ride quality was great on good roads, it was a little sketchy riding a broken bitumen section at 40kmh but no different from my alloy wheelsets, but that was the only poor quality section of road ridden on my test ride.

Braking with the provided blue brake pads impressed me, came round the corner on a downhill section at 50kmh to find the council working on the road, no problems stopping,

So yes very happy with the wheels

-- edited to correct my spelling ---
Last edited by nickobec on Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Nic. I suppose one of the big discoveries will be wet weather braking. I've never braked with wet carbon rims, so am curious.
My 50mm cc's are packaged and I get a tracking number tomorrow.

philip

Postby philip » Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 am

PawPaw wrote:Thanks Nic. I suppose one of the big discoveries will be wet weather braking. I've never braked with wet carbon rims, so am curious.
FSC50-CM ? I have to say these are pretty tempting.. How much for these including shipping? And the big question is.. how well do these actually perform? Are they actually a good design/aero?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 pm

PawPaw wrote:Thanks Nic. I suppose one of the big discoveries will be wet weather braking. I've never braked with wet carbon rims, so am curious.
Discs man !! :mrgreen:

Then it doesn't matter what wheel type you have or the weather you ride in !!!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 pm

nickobec wrote:Never really had a close look at anybody else's carbon wheels, these are not beautiful, the carbon has small blemishes, the sections do not match,
Pretty normal, they look fine to me and just like my 38mm's.
The sections dont match up because that's the layup (UD - UniDirectional), don't worry too much just as long as there are no imperfections on the brake tracks and elsewhere that you can feel.
I think carbon 38mm's are a great all round depth, light enough for the hills & deep enough to get some aero action.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri May 18, 2012 9:38 pm

philip wrote:FSC50-CM ? I have to say these are pretty tempting.. How much for these including shipping? And the big question is.. how well do these actually perform? Are they actually a good design/aero?
http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=685
I upgraded to hubsmith which are 70g lighter than novatec, and from memory 60g lighter than bitex.

I had considered the 1250g 38mm cc first up, but I let mates talk me into 1350g 50mm . As long as they are <1400g, I'll be happy.
Last edited by PawPaw on Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 pm

cm or mm - that could be some deep wheel action.

yea 38's are starting to take my interest too got 50's which o love but thinking a cheap pair of 38's for daily commute

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

yeah just noted the typo/friday brain fade cm/mm mistake.